World war I in color (1 Viewer)

That's a fantastic site with wonderful pictures.

It's amazing all the sites that exist on the internet that you don't know about.

Fishead,

thanks for the link! It's a very useful and interesting one. I didn't imagine that so many colour pictures were taken in WWI.

Great site, thanks. Have you seen the DVD's ww1 (and 2) in colour? I think they computer enhanced them.

The Military Channel and the History Channel have both shown the two series WWI and WWII in Color. They are color enhanced but the original is still in color. Over the years the color negatives begin to lose color due to the deterioration of the chemicals use in the film's manufacture. It is not like what Ted Turner has done to some of the classic B&W feature movies that were originally shot in B&W. These two series were originally shot in color but have been rehabilitated to bring back the original. Some times it looks a little funky but that’s the price we pay for not better preserving our history.

Did you know that most of the first action shots of D-Day were lost when a jr. officer was returning the negatives to England and dropped them over the side of the ship as he was disembarking and that the only existing original film of the first atomic weapon dropped on Japan is from an unofficial camera a crewman happened to bring along. The photographic plane's film was also lost. I don’t remember how, but these images are gone forever due to human problems. Just think of all of the pictures that were lost from the ACW when Brady's original photographic plates were dropped or broken when the person handling them did not know what they were. It is estimated that more than 5,000 of his original photos were lost that way. Sad when you think of all the recorded history that has been lost, sort of like burning the Library at Alexandria. :( Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back