Would you be a collector today if .... (1 Viewer)

Dear Chuck, Gavin got cancer and was out of commission for 2 years. I stumbled onto his Napoleonics from e-bay and became good friends
with him. He is a one man shop and if you do a search, you will find his new auctions under blackprince1356 or orig01bear. I sold all my Trophy, so I could buy his Napoleonics and I have never looked back. He is doing Knights again as well as Alamo and Crimean War stuff. There still are folks selling off his early works. If you contact him, tell him I sent you...His prices are great, because his followers may be rabid ,but there are only a few that know his auctions are happening again. Thanks for asking. I am quite proud in saying that I know him. Michael

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

The answer for me is a resonding yes for glossy sets they make up 95% of my collection. I do own a few matte issues but they arent what does it for me I went throught the matte phase in the 70s when I was collecting and painting my Britains to suit my battle fields. I have some of the still but a bunch were lost a long time ago. Little Brothers:rolleyes:

But the bottom line is my collection is mainly glossy parade type sets. I guess its all in the eye of the collector right.

Dave

If I may chime in again regarding Gavin and his Mulberry Napoleonic figures, Yes they are a good value and Gavin usually does a pretty good job getting the troops out to you.Very nice TOY soldiers.I have about 160 foot and a few mounted officers from him.I based and terrained them on metal stands so they dont fall over very easy and I think they are a delight overall.

Yes, It's all in the eyes of the beholder.Often I find it's a sentimental thing as to what we prefer to collect.What each of us finds a " delight" is more than often not someone elses cup of tea.Thats what makes the world go round!

FUBAR

Don't really like gloss - K&K did it for me. Don't really like their gloss either but have a couple of sets as trying for size.

Hi,
I do like both glossy and matte types. For the WWII period I prefer the more realistic looking matte figures ( k&c, britains, conte ) and also for the ACW. But for other periods, like the Zulu War, British Empire, WWI or more traditional looking bands I prefer the special charm that comes from glossy figures. How can anyone resist lovely pieces from Beau Geste, Tradition of London, Fusilier Miniatures, Little Legion, Trophy of Wales, Pickelhaube, Wim Hocker, glossy Britains, Fort Ducal, just to name a few? On another occasion, with more time, I'll try and post some links.
That said, for the moment I am collecting mostly WWII, but I keep an eye on glossy figures, for which I'll try to get a special space in my home and... in my budget, for sure.

Happy collecting,
Paulo

The reason it has stars is simply because someone liked it. You can rate any thread you like. When perusing a thread, f you look up at the top right-hand corner of your screen you will see a rating button with stars. If you click on it, you can then rate the thread. Voila!

Hay Newbe, I did'nt know what the heck they meant either, so don't ever feel alone or uncomfortable asking a question. Dispite every teacher in the world saying, "there is no such thing as a dumb question," there are dumb questions and that was not one of them. We gota keep Shannon and Pete on their toes ya know. :p Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back