WS 69 Stug No 501 ?! (1 Viewer)

Joey

Private 1st Class
I've just noticed on the other forum that someone had a limited Stug with a number 0501 on the certificate! How come?

Anyone got an idea on this? Or have any of you had such a certificate too ( above 500) ?

A separate thread started by Eric Thorsen also indicated that the box was not in the best condition. I hope this is an isolated thing. I'll find out Friday, I presume.

If numbers 1-500 didn't make it past quality control then perhaps there were sets number 501-1,000 to ensure that there were 500 finished sets produced? I'm sure there's a plausible explanation for having a 501.

Hi Guys,

I meant to reply to this thread earlier today before mass panic broke out but have been swamped with getting the Stugs out the door. I talked to Andy early this morning and he assures me that only 500 were produced and somehow his numbering system ended at 0501 but there is no 0502 or anything else beyond that. (It made sense to me at a groggy 7am but don't ask me to explain it now :) )
Also, I have had no issues with the boxes Stugs we've opened so far so those of you who have Stugs reserved with Treefrog need not worry. We often get a crushed corner here and there which can easily happen in shipping but these Stug boxes are actually in better shape than usual.

Shannon at Treefrog Treasures

Hi Shannon did you happen to ask Andy how the Stugs wound up on E-bay before our dealers got them?
Thanks
Njja

As a matter of fact I did...turns out Marjorie is the wife of King & Country dealer Tim Kizorek and is King & Country approved because her prices on eBay keep to retail. So knowing the Stugs would be in to her husband by the time the auction was over she must have just used the stock picture provided to the dealers and away went the auction. Glad to know everything was above board.

Shannon

Did I miss something?

I just got mine today and it doesnt have a certificate in it?

Bill

Re: WS 69 Stug No 501 ?! From Andy

Dear Guys,

Concerning some comments on this and the other forum regarding certificate numbers for the strictly limited “STUG”.

From investigation it seems our printer actually “over printed” our certificates. We’ve discovered numbers in our warehouse in Hong Kong up to 507.

We already know 501 is with our dealer Eric Thorsen. Certificate # 502, 504, 505, 506 and 507 are still in HK. Only 503 is missing and God Knows Where.

Now, to hopefully, set your minds at rest we do know we only received 500 “STUG” Models. Exactly 500 not one more … not one less and that’s what we paid for.

Even in the best companies SNAFU’s happen. I can only apologise to all of you for this particular one.

Believe me – my own and King & Country’s reputation means too much to try to pull such a stupid stunt on K&C dealers and collectors.

I can only hope that all of you who know me will also agree that this is not K&C style and not the way we do business.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and continued support.

Sincerely,

Andy

Lucky #503

The question is, which one of you lucky collectors will receive the special #503? If I had purchased one that's the one I'd want. It adds even more interest to that particular Stug. If it ends up to be one of my customers be sure to let me know--I'll feel like the convenience store that sold the winning lottery ticket. :p

Shannon

Re: WS 69 Stug No 503

the K&c Version Of The Willy Wonker Gold Ticket
This Could Be Good Fun!
Lets Try And Find Out Where 503 Is And Post It On Treefrog. If The Collector Wants To Remain Private Then Lets Just Post The City/country................. :D

Bill - I just recieved an email from K&C regarding the limited edition certificates. It seems that many were sent without them. We are trying to fix this.

This has been an interesting release.

Andy,

Accidents happen. In the end, I'm sure all will be rectified and everybody will be happy.

There is a spontaneous auction for the infamous WS69 501 Stug at the other forum.

I don't know if those guys are serious but the bidding is up to $1,900. Shannon's wishes on auctions prevent me from commenting on it further, although you can read between the lines.

Hey Gideon,

Ok cool, thanks for the info. I personally don't care if it comes with one or not, I like the piece for what it is, although if it does I'd obviously like to have a cert. if they are sent.

It wasgood to see you again and catch up. I'll see you soon, I'm debating the next purchase.

Bill

Did anyone ever think that maybe Andy kept #1 for himself and released 500 others that might explain the 501. What a price to pay.

Bill S.

I hoping to get my stug tomorrow and naturally hoping for lucky no. 503. Not at all knocking at fellow collectors but if you think about this objectively, its really amazing how a little amount of ink that forms the "1" in 501 and the "3" in 503 can become so valued.

I've posted on the other forum regarding this 501 issue and would pass comment on the auction itself.

One interesting side-show: if there are only 500 STuGs and the certificates were numbered to 507 then it's likely that the first proper certificate is actually 2 instead of 1, and that at further regular points there'll be a missing number.

I'm guessing that from the possibility that the first page of a book is never numbered from the left-hand side of the opening gatefold, always on the right. Similarly decks of cards evolved with jokers and other test plates.

I'm farily sure that there's a rare rectangular piece of card with the number 1 and so forth in the sequence, up until the point the guillotined card sequence is initiated (eg it could be 1, 75, 150, 225, 300, 375, 425, 500 or perhaps a run of copyright/test cards of 1 to 7 after which the 7-507 certs printed). Because it is likely that the printers were Chinese it is always a possibility that they set the sequence to print 500 of the completed certificates, leaving this intermittent loss at the various stages.

I'm farily ignorant of the printing process and could be wrong but I'd think it more interesting challenge to try to put together a registry of all 500 certs. Obviously people could remain anonymous but could put a unique identification of some sort beside each number, and we'd eventually find out which numbered certificates do not actually exist.

What would also be interesting is the possibility that Andy would then need to distribute these retained certificates to those who didn't obtain any because their numbers were lost in the printing process: it is conceivable if there are only 500 certs, of which some happen to be over the number 500.

Any thoughts?

Cannonfodder, I just got my stug and it,s number is 42. I think that blows your theory.
Gary

Mine is 449, but Gary why does his theory not hold water. There are 500 and he's just talking about sequencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back