WW2 1:32 Marx Navy Sailors !!! (1 Viewer)

Plastic General

Corporal
WWII 1:32 MARX NAVY SAILORS!
Very few people I've ever spoken too, ever knew they existed!
The mold has never been found and they've never been reissued!
Very expensive, fetching prices from $50 - $150 each!!
Someone should make a limited run of home-made copies for the die-hard fans, even convert and add on a few extra battle poses.
Since the set is extinct and MARX is gone, would this project be possible?
Check them out.
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/Christian_Aldo/media/MARX NAVY SAILERS/MARX1_zps6383ae3c.jpg.html

Just imagine if someone was to do a new set of: 1:32 US NAVY SAILORS (in COMBAT) 16 figures in 8 poses

Plastic General

I've thought about that for several of the "lost" Marx sets; if only for sentimental reasons.

I was talking to the MARX-MAN John, very inspiring conversation.
I'm thinking of doing it, just 100 sets.
"BATTLING US NAVY SAILORS"

Plastic General

Love the idea. When I first joined up on here I started a post about what obscure set you would like to see produced and I listed this for my choice.

I should look into this! Just 100 sets of hand poured molds.
Should I do this?!
Who's IN???!

Plastic general

There is a link to the photo in the first thread at the bottom.

What I propose to do for this project,
is copy all 7 of the original rare poses and add 3 more battle poses by cannibalizing the original figures and cross pollinating other body parts from the same sculptors work.
I would do this to give the figures constancy.
The figures look like they were sculpted by the guy who did all early the MARX US GI'S?
Or I could sculpt them all from scratch?
What are your thoughts??

Plastic General

Last edited:
There's a couple on eBay right now, from a guy who lists Marx and other plastic figures regularly : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marx-1950s-6...953769506?pt=Toy_Soldiers&hash=item5b06a91a22 is one of them.
A seller on eBay from Peru has been selling Marx 54mm sailors for some time now. I have seen them in a pale yellow, green, dark blue, pale orange. He asks a high price plus shipping cost, so I've not bought from him. But I found a seller in PA who had a few, and at a reasonable cost. When comparing them next to original Marx figures, I think them slightly shorter, and slightly thinner. The detail is crisp, the plastic good, and after speaking with a number of fellow collectors/dealers can't decide if they are from original molds, or pantographs. I sent a picture, they are in the back row, dark blue.

Attachments

• 2013-08-20 17.12.34 (Custom).jpg
    2013-08-20 17.12.34 (Custom).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 207
There is a link to the photo in the first thread at the bottom.

What I propose to do for this project,
is copy all 7 of the original rare poses and add 3 more battle poses by cannibalizing the original figures and cross pollinating other body parts from the same sculptors work.
I would do this to give the figures constancy.
The figures look like they were sculpted by the guy who did all early the MARX US GI'S?
Or I could sculpt them all from scratch?
What are your thoughts??

Plastic General
Great idea! I would say definately have the 3 additional poses combat/action. The 7 original are somewhat lacking in action/combat. They should be in white and perhaps blue as well if possible. But I think they would sell reasonably well and I'll certainly put in for a set right now. Good luck and I hope you sell out in a few weeks!

A seller on eBay from Peru has been selling Marx 54mm sailors for some time now. I have seen them in a pale yellow, green, dark blue, pale orange. He asks a high price plus shipping cost, so I've not bought from him. But I found a seller in PA who had a few, and at a reasonable cost. When comparing them next to original Marx figures, I think them slightly shorter, and slightly thinner. The detail is crisp, the plastic good, and after speaking with a number of fellow collectors/dealers can't decide if they are from original molds, or pantographs. I sent a picture, they are in the back row, dark blue.

2014-10-20 16.31.05 (Custom).jpg2014-10-20 16.32.47 (Custom).jpg

Thanks for the great photo Cattown.
Undersized figures is a bad way to start right off the bat.
They would have to be the full size originals.
If there are legal implications, it all just might be a pain in the ***.
I would just have to sculpt my own Fighting NAVY SAILORS.
I just made a phone call to my "MOLD NERD" he does great work.
I start this weekend by meeting him at his studio.

Plastic General

Sounds funny, but I love those sailors!!!
Imagine if there were 16 different figures with lots of fighting poses?!
Great, fresh subject with lots of play value and adventure!
I think they'd be a HIT!

Plastic General

Perhaps the guy from Peru secretly has the mold?
Remember when 6" MARX figures were being produced out of Mexico in the 80's using stiff plastic?
The reason the figures are slightly smaller, is because he's probably casting the NAVY figures in a cheaper stiff plastic, resulting in more shrinkage.
Secondly, all the goofy colours are a dead giveaway!
I'm going to look into it!

Plastic General

Perhaps the guy from Peru secretly has the mold?
Remember when 6" MARX figures were being produced out of Mexico in the 80's using stiff plastic?
The reason the figures are slightly smaller, is because he's probably casting the NAVY figures in a cheaper stiff plastic, resulting in more shrinkage.
Secondly, all the goofy colours are a dead giveaway!
I'm going to look into it!

Plastic General

These are in a soft, pliable plastic. The others that I've seen are in a "pale" (Think of Marx fairy tail figure colors) soft semi flat tint of the colors I mentioned, not at all garish. In addition, Marx Zorro character poses in flat colors other than cream come out of Peru as well. Seeing that Marx had a partner company in Mexico, with a full set of molds (Pleximarx), it's not hard to understand the flood of mostly poor, to decent figures that have been run after the end of Marx as a company

Thanks for the great photo Cattown.
Undersized figures is a bad way to start right off the bat.
They would have to be the full size originals.
If there are legal implications, it all just might be a pain in the ***.
I would just have to sculpt my own Fighting NAVY SAILORS.
I just made a phone call to my "MOLD NERD" he does great work.
I start this weekend by meeting him at his studio.

Plastic General
I can't imagine there would be any legal issues as these figures are long out of production and Marx is long out of business. But I'm no legal expert on that. Hope you are able to get this project off the ground,

TRUE!
For me, its not about the money, its about getting them out there and shearing them with like minded collectors.
This could be accomplished by creating a limited run of 100 sets.

Plastic General

I can't imagine there would be any legal issues as these figures are long out of production and Marx is long out of business. But I'm no legal expert on that. Hope you are able to get this project off the ground,

Legally as far as I know even if the company is out of business the figures are intellectual property and still owned by the sculptors or the estate of the company owners so without owning the actual mold it would be illegal to sell copies you made. Now that does not preclude you from making copies of the figures for your personal use. If I remember correctly for the figures/sculpts to be considered your own intellectual property they need to be changed upwards of 20%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back