Yellow Wings Aviation (2 Viewers)

Gotta love the old Brewster. The Finns did alright with it. :wink2: --Al

Yes they did Al, there's something about those stubby, sturdy little Buffaloes ..... they're so homely they're good lookin'. ^&grin A yellow winged Wildcat would do quite nicely too. :smile2:

B.

Yes they did Al, there's something about those stubby, sturdy little Buffaloes ..... they're so homely they're good lookin'. ^&grin A yellow winged Wildcat would do quite nicely too. :smile2:

B.

The Buffalo is another great example of the prewar USN capturing the "toy airplane look:"

IMG_3472.jpg

Above is HM's diecast model, "2-F-1" of the Flying Chiefs and the U.S.S. Lexington, CV-2. The real yeoman work involved in the creation of the ultimate F2A model was done by Tamiya. The actual aircraft has a subtle little curve in the fuselage behind the cowling, a bit of a "wasp-waste" if you will. The kit maker was the first to capture this aspect of the Buffalo and it's curvature. Enter Hobby Master which cloned the kit into zinc, and voila, you've got a classic diecast model. Got thirteen of these in the hangar, BTW. One of each release, and one duplicate of "3-F-11." Favorites are the previously mentioned VF-3 Tomcatters and first Finnish versions. I guess you could say that I approve of the model!:D

-Moe

The Buffalo is another great example of the prewar USN capturing the "toy airplane look:"

IMG_3472.jpg

Above is HM's diecast model, "2-F-1" of the Flying Chiefs and the U.S.S. Lexington, CV-2. The real yeoman work involved in the creation of the ultimate F2A model was done by Tamiya. The actual aircraft has a subtle little curve in the fuselage behind the cowling, a bit of a "wasp-waste" if you will. The kit maker was the first to capture this aspect of the Buffalo and it's curvature. Enter Hobby Master which cloned the kit into zinc, and voila, you've got a classic diecast model. Got thirteen of these in the hangar, BTW. One of each release, and one duplicate of "3-F-11." Favorites are the previously mentioned VF-3 Tomcatters and first Finnish versions. I guess you could say that I approve of the model!:D

-Moe
This just so happens to be the one F2A that I have. Excellent model.:salute:: -- Al

Hi,
Lovely looking aircraft. How about putting a poll up to gauge interest?? IMHO I'd like to see them in another scale other than 1/30th (space issue!), but to be honest I'd much rather see a Saxons and Vikings range (but then that's just me!).

Just my tuppence worth.

Pete

Hi,
Lovely looking aircraft. How about putting a poll up to gauge interest?? IMHO I'd like to see them in another scale other than 1/30th (space issue!), but to be honest I'd much rather see a Saxons and Vikings range (but then that's just me!).

Just my tuppence worth.

Pete

Hi Pete,

An advantage of the biplanes that I cited earlier in the post is that they really are smaller than even the somewhat diminutive Buffalo. At 1/30, the F4B-4 comes in with a twelve inch wingspan. For a variety of reasons, I'd prefer 54mm. However, you know how weird things can get when we start discussing scale. Because of that, I'd bite on whatever John might bless us with.

-Moe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back