2015 Westcoaster (1 Viewer)

YES
I am sending the form for my Table tomorrow.
Also, my room reservation.
The only question is , What to bring ?.

Have attended everyone since 1993 (the third one) when it was held at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park.

That's about the time I started going as well . . . I think I've missed only two since. Wonder if Treefrogger Treasures would provide us with ID badges so we can recognize each other? Would be good advertising for them.

Bosun Al

My wife, Jean, has some other choice words for it.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Speaking of wives, I am trying to work out the details of my trip this year as my wife's 50th birthday falls right on the show this year.

If she lakes art, the Irvine Museum is only a few blocks west on Von Karmen. Small, but wonderful plein air art. Always on our list of things to do when we're in the area.

Bosun Al

If she lakes art, the Irvine Museum is only a few blocks west on Von Karmen. Small, but wonderful plein air art. Always on our list of things to do when we're in the area.

Bosun Al

Al:

Thank you for the suggestion. My wife may attend the show with me and ideas like that will certainly help.

-Jason

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Speaking of wives, I am trying to work out the details of my trip this year as my wife's 50th birthday falls right on the show this year.

Time for a custom diorama that you can present to her at the show (none of that funky German stuff) that you said I was responsible for though! I plan on attending so watch your "six".

Just a quick note from this year's West Coaster. I checked into my room Friday afternoon and was open for room trading by about 3:00 pm. It is unbelievably hot here at around 88 to 90 degrees and, in fact, neighboring Santa Ana had the highest temperature in the nation Friday. There are 48 rooms on the roster for room trading which is about the norm. Before my room was ready, I was able to renew some old friendships: Andy Nielson of King & Country, Bill Hocker of Wm Hocker, Brian Levy of Collectors Showcase, Ed Fongonilo of Edmund's Toy Soldiers, and collectors Tom Dubel, and Hans. I also saw Norm Joplin, Matt Murphy, and Bob Fisher, originator of the West Coaster 26 years ago, among others. I will stop by Frontline's room this morning to say hello to my long-time friend, Gerard Prime. Interestingly, Figarti is not here this year after having attended for at least for the last 10 years.

In talking to Paul Herrmann, who owns a Wisconsin toy soldier shop, I discovered that we had both served in the U.S. Army Security Agency in the 1960s and, in fact, had both served in Bad Aibling, Germany with the 320th USASA Battalion (see my avatar). It is a small world.

Room trading seemed to be rather slow this year without much foot traffic to speak of. This is the first time in 15 years selling at the West Coaster that I didn't have one sale on Friday! I hope that Saturday will make up for it, but if I don't get off this computer and drive back to the hotel and open my room....

I will leave it to others to provide the photo coverage, including K&C's new dioramas, which are always a special treat.

Some further observations on this year's show. Saturday room trading traffic was also very light. In fact, I only sold three sets for a grand total of $240. The good news is that I got to see and talk to many fellow collectors who I only see once a year, but the bad news is that sometimes I can't instantly recall their names. It is kind of embarrassing since they walk into my room and say "Hi Mike," having the advantage of seeing my name on my door. For example, the first one was a collector who I instantly remembered collected Alamo figures, was a school teacher, and lived in Yuciapa. But I'll be darned if it didn't take me an hour or so before I remembered that his name was Al which was long after he had left my room.

On Saturday, I had lunch with Bruce Hebron of Metal Shed and Roy Easton (Easton Military Miniatures) and his lovely wife. I also had the opportunity to talk to Don Pielin of the Chicago Show about his views on the evolving toy soldier hobby. After about 5:00 pm on Saturday, it really got very slow to the point that I closed down at 7:30 pm. Matt Murphy of Hobby Bunker stopped by and said that I was about the last room open.

The attendance at the Sunday show appeared to be pretty good. There seemed to be more children and women in attendance than I remember in the past. Bill Muesing of Toy Troops had tables at the show for the first time in years, which was good to see. Bill has the last brick and mortar store in Southern California. The day was okay for me personally in terms of sales, although my gross sales were only about half that of last year's. I have decided to forgo room trading next year and just sell at the Sunday show which means I will only have to unpack, set up, and pack one time rather than twice.

Well said, Mike! To me, the show is more about meeting folks and seeing old (literally and figuratively) friends. Joe, Ed, KV were all visiting Treefroggers. Particularly eventful was meeting up with buddies from the now defunct Toy Soldier Society of San Diego; some dealers, some collectors. Those were fun times! But also bittersweet were memories of all those who weren't at the show this year. Last year I was trying to sell some sets from the estate of one of my best friends while in the next room the family of another good friend was selling his goodies. As I'm cutting back, I only bought a single set (from Bill Hocker). But it was nice to see all the happy faces carrying their purchases back to the car. Once ago the superstar was Craig . . . how he continues to function is one of the world's wonders . . . and always with a smile on his faced!

Hope you reconsider about not taking a room next year Mike. Although I couldn't find anything that I couldn't live without, chatting with folks such as you are the highlight of the show. And yes, it was great to see all the youngsters.

Oh well, only 52 weeks to the next show!

Bosun Al

I suspect that the light room trading traffic is a function of a least two trends in our hobby. First, the demographics are working against us. As collectors grow older, they either pass on or stop buying. They are not being replaced by younger, new collectors on a one-for-one basis. Far from it. I would guess that the number is more like five to one. As an aside, the smaller number of new collectors has clearly "voted" that they prefer the 60mm, matte, in action figures costing $45 each or more to the traditional, classic glossy 54mm figures costing much less. Second, one cannot overestimate the impact that the internet has had on both show attendance and the viability of brick and mortar stores. At the West Coaster, I use to see collectors from all over the country who would fly in for the show every year; I have not seen many of them in years. When I started collecting in the early 1990s, there were five brick and mortar toy soldier shops in southern California, now there is but one.

This was the 26th annual West Coaster (I have attended the last 24) and I hope it will continue to be held for years to come. However, I worry that Craig's health issues may determine how long he can continue. I hope it is for a long time. However, when Craig ultimately decides to turn it over to someone else, I hope that there is someone who is willing to do it. Several collectors have asked me that, if push came to shove, if I would do it. Ten or fifteen years ago, I would have said yes, but at 73 years old, I don't think so.

Al, meeting and seeing other collectors is always the highlight of the show, but my decision to stop room trading is final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back