CRU105-CRU109 Teutonic Knights Battle of Lake Peipus! (1 Viewer)

My favorite compositions and photography on TF, BRAVO!

Joe

This dio is a beauty, almost surreal scene. A one of a kind, you must be very happy with this. So much potential to move figures around to create different looks. :salute::Robin.

Has that newdiorama ever been 8ntroduced in detail? It looks great, but I might have only seen it on FB.

Has that newdiorama ever been 8ntroduced in detail? It looks great, but I might have only seen it on FB.

The dio is my most recent acquisition from Jakob of Toy Soldiers of Scandinavia. He does a fantastic job and makes creating a scene like this easy to do with his outstanding work.

This dio is a beauty, almost surreal scene. A one of a kind, you must be very happy with this. So much potential to move figures around to create different looks. :salute::Robin.

Thank you Robin. I am really pleased with the fantastic work Jakob did. When do we get to see your terrific dio?

Thank you Robin. I am really pleased with the fantastic work Jakob did. When do we get to see your terrific dio?

Like the way you are able to hide the bases. Always takes longer to get down under, but hopefully later this week. Have plans for my church to accommodate the Home Guard and afterwards the English Civil War. Perhaps eventually some German scene also, plenty of options. I am pleased yours arrived safely and looks so good. Robin.

When First Legion was in its infancy, I was told that their goal was that one day, they would equal the quality of Russian painting. “Russian Painting” is not a defined term, but very subjective of course.

Having said that, how good has FL become in your opinion?

911-B5-D38-C59-A-4-DC3-9-A1-F-84758-F544-D2-F.jpg

FL is definitely in the Russian style painting conversation, and that's really saying something for a factory produced product. I think FL has excellent quality control resulting in consistently fine figures generally occupying a paint quality level just a step/shade below that of mid-level Russian pieces.
I know your question was about paint quality but I have a few other thoughts about the comparison between FL and Russian products quality....
FL is very strong in the sculpture category when compared to Russian figures. The sculptor who makes the Retreat from Russia figures in particular is really talented. Where FL really separates themselves from the Russians are in the areas of variety of sculpts, themed releases with long legs, and the ability to purchase entire figure formations/columns. FL availability is a big plus too. A lot of Russian figures are produced in such small quantities that it makes it very hard to the find them, and when you do they can break the bank. Russian figures have become more and more like stand alone pieces of art, while FL has more versatility in display options while maintaining beauty often associated with Russian figures.

Joe

Speaking of sculpting for First Legion, this came in a couple of weeks ago from Vladimir Danilov:

“GOODBYE FIRST LEGION! GOODBYE TOY SOLDIERS!
I worked for you many years . It was interesting to see how results of my nameless work spread around the planet.
Begins a new stage of my life and I want to dedicate it entirely to art and creativity . I hope to succeed
Друзья ! Мой уход из First Legion Не связан ни с каким конфликтом . С Константином Судьиным мы в хороших отношениях ( ( Именно хорошие взаимоотношения заставили меня так на долго задержаться в этой замечательной фирме. А художник не должен засиживаться на одном месте)Просто мне давно стало тесно в рамках игрового солдатика. Хочется серьезной работы и, мне кажется я до нее дозрел . И сейчас , ставя большие творческие задачи и пытаясь их реализовать , я по настоящему счастлив .”

The untranslated Russian characters reads loosely as:

Friends ! My departure from First Legion is not associated with any conflict. We are on good terms with Konstantin Sudyin ((It was the good relations that made me stay for a long time in this wonderful company. And the artist shouldn’t stay in one place) I just felt cramped in a game soldier a long time ago. I want serious work and I think I I’ve gotten to it. And now, setting big creative tasks and trying to realize them, I’m really happy. ”

FL is definitely in the Russian style painting conversation, and that's really saying something for a factory produced product. I think FL has excellent quality control resulting in consistently fine figures generally occupying a paint quality level just a step/shade below that of mid-level Russian pieces.
I know your question was about paint quality but I have a few other thoughts about the comparison between FL and Russian products quality....
FL is very strong in the sculpture category when compared to Russian figures. The sculptor who makes the Retreat from Russia figures in particular is really talented. Where FL really separates themselves from the Russians are in the areas of variety of sculpts, themed releases with long legs, and the ability to purchase entire figure formations/columns. FL availability is a big plus too. A lot of Russian figures are produced in such small quantities that it makes it very hard to the find them, and when you do they can break the bank. Russian figures have become more and more like stand alone pieces of art, while FL has more versatility in display options while maintaining beauty often associated with Russian figures.

Joe

I believe there are some FL figures that are very strong in comparison to Russian figures but some that are not so strong. A good example takes place in the Seven Years War range. I found the 7th Line Infantry Regiment to be very good and comparable to Russian quality but the Russian Musketeers not neatly as good; please note, I deliberately avoid use of the word "weak"; wanting would be better.

Parenthetically, I should note that the Russian Toy Soldier Museum makes no distinction in the quality of the painting for the above two lines (3.7).

I believe there are some FL figures that are very strong in comparison to Russian figures but some that are not so strong. A good example takes place in the Seven Years War range. I found the 7th Line Infantry Regiment to be very good and comparable to Russian quality but the Russian Musketeers not neatly as good; please note, I deliberately avoid use of the word "weak"; wanting would be better.

Brad,

I agree. Some ranges are closer to Russian quality than others for sure.
I should have also noted in my previous post that Russian figures are entirely hand painted and don't use decals like FL sometimes does.

Joe

Parenthetically, I should note that the Russian Toy Soldier Museum makes no distinction in the quality of the painting for the above two lines (3.7).

Mikhail Kochetkov tends to rate FL as 3.7 across the board w/ a few 3.8's sprinkled in like the Samurai archer I believe?

Joe

Joe, Brad, what is the rating you two are referring to? I wonder whether I just discovered something that gives my life meaning ....

Mikhail Kochetkov tends to rate FL as 3.7 across the board w/ a few 3.8's sprinkled in like the Samurai archer I believe?

Joe

Yes, our production figures are primarily rated 3.7 by him with the occasional 3.8. Our painted masters (i.e. the Russian painted ones) are typically rated 3.8 by him - see the NAP Russian Command figures for examples, special painted for his collection. All in all, I can certainly live with that as a 3.8 is a really good rating on his scale if you compare it to say Vityaz which is 4.1 I think.

The figures that we produce that are probably closest to absolute true Russian quality figures are our 75mm figures. And this is by design and my guess is that these would rate consistently 3.8, as high as our original masters.

The fact that a collector such as Mikhail has so many of our figures in his otherworldly collection speaks volumes to the quality.

Best,

Matt

love this range! ,are there any plans for new releases to it in the near future? ,also a few of the mounted look to be soldout,will there be another batch coming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back