“Reporting as ordered, Sir!” Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 1863 (1 Viewer)

sed410

Private 2
This has some "Oldies but goodies" from the Civil War series. I really like the firelight on the soldiers and horse. Makes you wonder what the nights were like 150 years ago next month, outside that small Pennsylvania town.
Enjoy,
Steve

Attachments

• opt 2-Gettysburg-1.jpg
    opt 2-Gettysburg-1.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 586
Amazing scene! The first time I see a night atmosphere in toysoldiers {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

One word to describe.....AWESOME!!!! First time ever to see toy soldiers night scene displayed. Fantastic photography. :salute:::salute:::salute::

Very nicely done. Interesting that you chose Stuart reporting to Lee. The popular view is that Lee upbraided Stuart when he finally showed up but recent scholarship shows that to be a myth.

This has some "Oldies but goodies" from the Civil War series. I really like the firelight on the soldiers and horse. Makes you wonder what the nights were like 150 years ago next month, outside that small Pennsylvania town.
Enjoy,
Steve

Steve:

Splendid photo! Thanks for posting.

"Iron Brigade"

Great! I hope July will bring out new ACW from King & Country. I love their personalities!

Walt, as to how I made this image...

I wanted to do a small scene as a homage to the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg. I created this night scene in Photoshop. I had photographed K&C's Lee and Stuart figure and the horse with the soldier hold it on a white background. I did not have access to any other soldier on foot. None of the other Confederate generals, colonels, majors or other officers you would expect to see around General Lee's headquarter during that time. So I was limited in what I could depict. What came to mind was when Stuart showed up at Lee's headquarters on the second day of the battle after he had been out in the field and out of touch with Lee. The story of Lee berating Stuart for not following his orders and leaving him blind is a great legend. What exactly happened is hard to say. Having only three figures and a horse made it so that the meeting would have to take place at night when everyone else would have been asleep. To see the figures at night I need a set of light sources to illuminate the two generals and the horse. I found a series of campfires and civil war re-enactor camp images on the internet. The foreground, middle ground and background are made up of three different images I blended together. I then dropped out the background of the figures and dragged them onto the night/camp background. Originally I put Lee and Stuart opposite one another with the campfire in between them, using the campfire light as my main subject illumination. But the balance of the composition did not look right. So I brought Lee in under the canvas of his tent and Stuart like he had just gotten of his horse and was reporting. I then erased areas of the Lee figure so it would look like he was behind the table and his head would seem partly under the tent. Both figures were lit by the lanterns and I changed the color balance of the figures from daylight to and orange tone that was similar to the light of the lanterns. Then I used the burn tool to darken the side of each figure that was away from the lantern light and the dodge tool to lighten the front of them so it appears that the light fell off quite quickly. I then dropped the background out of the soldier and house and dragged that onto the background. I reduced it's size so the perspective would seems like they were standing further away from the tent. I then changed their color balance to the orange tone. I darken the horse down especially thinking if you were ten or fifteen feet away from a campfire in the dead of night the light would be very weak. The original psd file was 69.5M. I reduce the file size down to 2.7M jpeg. I then had to reduce the image down again to 1M jpeg to upload to Treefrog. I hope this rambling answers some of your questions as to how I put this image together.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back