“the pontiff’s guardians” (1 Viewer)

King & Country

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

Although most of us are into the “mud, blood and grime” of warfare in the 20th Century it’s good to go back occasionally, to see the more colourful costumes and uniforms of bygone eras.

Obviously, the “Wars of Napoleon” ... “The Seven Years War” and the “Age of Pike & Musket” come to mind.

A time of colour and great spleandour (as far as military uniforms were concerned.)

Today, these only survive in the ceremonial dress that some military formations parade in on special occasions.

Late last year I was fortunate to visit Italy and see for myself the magnificent uniforms of “The Swiss Guard” in Rome.

Actually for several years now I’ve wanted K&C to produce more “Ceremonial Figures”... Well, finally, next month we will release our first four members of the Pope’s own bodyguards ... Here’s a little preview for the weekend.

Best wishes and have an enjoyable one.
Andy

P.S. The little “classical” structure in the picture came from “Restoration Hardware” in the U.S.

DSC0540-1.jpg

Yes a most colourful set up, I like it a lot.
Steve

Very nice figures of an iconic regiment! Thanks for posting these. When will they be available?

Cheers,

Brendan

Very nice figures of an iconic regiment! Thanks for posting these. When will they be available?

Cheers,

Brendan

Andy says next month. They are very nice, I wonder how many collectors will want these. Robin.

Well, ever since I visited Rome I was hoping for somebody to make the Swiss Guard as TS.
Now I can't wait to get them.

Thanks a lot Andy

just to comment...i have wondered for over twenty years why any TS company would not delve into the subject of Hungarian,Romanian,Bulgarian,Polish or Finnish forces , after all WW2 is by far the largest collected field...How interesting would dioramas be with some adhoc forces of the german satellite forces attached to our WW2 collections...Always heard the mumbo-jumbo argument about research & sales data...yada , yada , yada...Now there is a whole mish mosh of this & that coming out !! I have never recalled hearing anybody say...darn when are they gonna make some swiss guards for the pope ?!? ^&confuse...oh well...

just to comment...i have wondered for over twenty years why any TS company would not delve into the subject of Hungarian,Romanian,Bulgarian,Polish or Finnish forces , after all WW2 is by far the largest collected field...How interesting would dioramas be with some adhoc forces of the german satellite forces attached to our WW2 collections...Always heard the mumbo-jumbo argument about research & sales data...yada , yada , yada...Now there is a whole mish mosh of this & that coming out !! I have never recalled hearing anybody say...darn when are they gonna make some swiss guards for the pope ?!? ^&confuse...oh well...

Pure speculation on my part but is K&C growing the Italian market? I suppose that a range like this would also lend itself to multiples, not just two or three, but perhaps ten or twelve? I wonder, too, whether something like a Bulgarian/German tank might, for example, sell to one hundred collectors and the German version to two hundred. Perhaps it is just easier to sell the 300 as a German version. I speak with no authority. I have a lecture in 20 minutes and not enough time to start any other work so I am just throwing this out there!

Pure speculation on my part but is K&C growing the Italian market? I suppose that a range like this would also lend itself to multiples, not just two or three, but perhaps ten or twelve? I wonder, too, whether something like a Bulgarian/German tank might, for example, sell to one hundred collectors and the German version to two hundred. Perhaps it is just easier to sell the 300 as a German version. I speak with no authority. I have a lecture in 20 minutes and not enough time to start any other work so I am just throwing this out there!

cannot answer about their italian market...just using an example here...let's take the pz38t , they initially did it in three separate #'s 201,202 & 204...sold out quick...this could easily have lent itself to a satellite repaint with a set of 4 or 5 satellite troops...could have been a test run on viability of the market for such a release...always thought that was what FOB was for ?!? that doesn't seem to be the case...just notice all these other new ranges , & mish mosh...never heard anybody ask for...but get backlash when this is asked...jargon on data & nonsense...whatever...what's next a line of the pope's ?!? ^&confuse...

Misc 589.jpgphpnOuKdhAM.jpgvanatori_t38_l.jpgphpyNlKYCPM.jpg

I think Andy has said that Italy is becoming an important market and I'm sure that these will do well in Italy, if not with Italian collectors, then with the tourist trade.

The pope guards are very colorful, that is why they have been made:p Moreover they are supposed to be bought in multiples, and this guarantees more money gain!...Don' t be sad and enjoy this "young fascist" ww2 and another italian soldier in Africa {sm3}

20160520_154729.jpg480x657xItalia16.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back