122 mm V.C. rockets discovered by marines (1 Viewer)

Outstanding work Ben :salute:::salute:::salute::

Those 122mm Rockets and stands you've made look great as does the backdrop.

Lucky the Marines found them before the VC or NVA get to fire them at bases like An Hoa or Da Nang !

LOL. The VC forgot to light the fuses, LOL.

The rockets are pencils that I coated in PVA and painted.

Best wishes,
Benjamin

LOL. The VC forgot to light the fuses, LOL.

The rockets are pencils that I coated in PVA and painted.

Best wishes,
Benjamin

Well done coming up with using Pencils and paint, good job Ben. Presumably a small section of matchsticks for the fins ?

Elsewhere on the forum a few days ago I mentioned using the plastic netting used in supermarkets for garlic bulbs. Paint it steel / silver and you've got 1.30 scale fencing. paint it light or dark brown and you've got 1.30 scale fishing nets !

Well done coming up with using Pencils and paint, good job Ben. Presumably a small section of matchsticks for the fins ?

Elsewhere on the forum a few days ago I mentioned using the plastic netting used in supermarkets for garlic bulbs. Paint it steel / silver and you've got 1.30 scale fencing. paint it light or dark brown and you've got 1.30 scale fishing nets !

That's a great modeling/hobby "hack" . . . Brilliant

Mike

Hi Steve,

I cut the fins from cardboard packaging and covered them with PVA.

Nice idea about the fencing.

Benjamin

My Vietnam combat vet friend mentioned these rockets as really loud and scary. I don't how these rockets have accuracy with no guidance. Also how does the NVA transport the rockets and get them place? Looks really heavy to carry.

My Vietnam combat vet friend mentioned these rockets as really loud and scary. I don't how these rockets have accuracy with no guidance. Also how does the NVA transport the rockets and get them place? Looks really heavy to carry.

Interesting question, not a lot of detail as it been from US side of things but from what I've read, they were manhandled, presumably over shoulders, I suppose slings would be another option, though what I've read really concerns them in the area they were about to be launched in and when found by US / Allied forces.
I would of imagine that since the VC used bicycles a lot for transport that would be another option down the Ho Chi Minh trail etc. Further back in North Vietnam probably by truck or rail. Looking forward to hearing what else ?

Interesting question, not a lot of detail as it been from US side of things but from what I've read, they were manhandled, presumably over shoulders, I suppose slings would be another option, though what I've read really concerns them in the area they were about to be launched in and when found by US / Allied forces.
I would of imagine that since the VC used bicycles a lot for transport that would be another option down the Ho Chi Minh trail etc. Further back in North Vietnam probably by truck or rail. Looking forward to hearing what else ?

Steve, you've probably read a lot of books about soldiers carrying wounded on stretchers on jungle trails and constantly dropping them. Rockets would be heavier and harder. Yet having determination counts for a lot. My friend said they would find these rocket sites with the area totally burnt from the back blast. What amazes me is the enemy being able to retrieve their dead and wounded and still make their escape.

Steve, you've probably read a lot of books about soldiers carrying wounded on stretchers on jungle trails and constantly dropping them. Rockets would be heavier and harder. Yet having determination counts for a lot. My friend said they would find these rocket sites with the area totally burnt from the back blast. What amazes me is the enemy being able to retrieve their dead and wounded and still make their escape.

Reading this article, link below, seems Sampans were also used in transporting them.

https://www.historynet.com/arsenal-enemy-rockets/

Hey Steve,

That is a potential diorama idea.

Best wishes,
Benjamin

Hey Steve,

That is a potential diorama idea.

Best wishes,
Benjamin

Yes perhaps I will do something on this at a later date, though I'd be pushed to come up with something as original as yours on this subject of Rocket Alley Ben !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back