15th King's Light Dragoons in the Seven Years War (1 Viewer)

theBaron

Major
Hi, all!

I'd like to share some images I've picked up as I researched the uniform details of the 15th Light Dragoons, one of the British cavalry units that served with the Allied army in Germany in the Seven Years War.

The regiment was raised in 1759, as the lessons on the usefulness of light cavalry were gradually absorbed, and took the place in the rolls of the previous 15th Dragoons, who were disbanded in 1748.

As light cavalry, the regiment's intended role was scouting, outpost work and skirmishing, the same role as hussars filled in armies on the Continent.

Here is a plate showing uniforms of the officers, non-commissioned officers, troopers and hornist, including equipment details:

15thLightDragoons.jpg

Thanks to Roger Newsome, "billyturnip" over at PlanetFigure for this plate. As you can see, the 15th LD had green facing, with white turnbacks and smallclothes. The musician or hornist wore a greet coat with white facings--later, this was changed to reversed colors, if I am not mistaken, by the time of the War for Independence. He also carried a hunting horn. I think that he may have carried a bugle as well, but I have to confirm that reference.

As light dragoons, the 15th wore the crested helmet with the upturned peak, with a green turban and white metal fittings, red horsehair mane.

Here is a modern illustration of a 15th light dragoon in action:

15th-light-dragoons.jpg

We see the carbine on a swivel mount, suspended from the buff leather belt. The horseblanket matched the facings, with a cartouche on the corners, consisting of the "Union wreath"--a wreath of roses and thistles on the same stalk, with the regiment's number in Roman numerals over the monogram in the center: "XV" over "LD".

This image was captioned as "15th and 21st Light Dragoons"; it shows a drummer in the colors of the 15th, as well as a cornet in the background, left, and the hornist, off the edge of the illustration at the right. I think that the 21st Light Dragoon is the other cornet in the picture:

21st-15th-light-dragoon-l.jpg

I haven't found any specific reference yet for drummers for the 15th, apart from the references to drummers for the dragoon regiments, generally. As such, I'm not sure how accurate the illustration is. However, it's not out of the realm of possibility, given other illustrations for drummers and musicians in armies of the time. As such, the coat is green and heavily laced.

The last illustration that I have is a contemporary painting of "A Light Dragoon", I think by Morier:

A-Light-Dragoon.jpg

This is another illustration of the general uniform details; if I am not mistaken, this is a light dragoon of the 18th LD. They had white facings and horse furniture, as did the 17th LD, but the 18th had the royal cypher on the helmet flap, while the 17th had the skull and crossbones.

I haven't yet found any specific references to the regiment's colors, except for the image in the illustration above. I have only Osprey to go by at this point, "British Colours & Standards 1747-1881 (1) Cavalry". As far as I can tell, the 15th LD would carry guidons, as a dragoon regiment, with the King's guidon: crimson, with a crowned Union badge (rose and thistle on one stem), above a scroll bearing the royal motto, "Dieu et mon droit", in the 1st and 4th corners, a cartouche with the white running horse of Hannover, and in the 2nd and 3rd corners, a cartouche with the regiment's number in gold on a green field. The other troops would have had guidons in green, with a badge in the center of a stag and white hound, over a band with the motto, "The swift, the vigilant and the bold", surrounded by the Union wreath, and with the same cartouches in the corners as the King's guidon. If anyone has more specific references or can confirm these details, please do and post it for us. If anyone has a better illustration of the colors and could post it to this thread, I'd be very grateful. I will post any, that I can find.

For anyone choosing to model any of the Light Dragoons in the Seven Years War, I recommend Imrie-Risley's castings of the 17th Light Dragoons from the American Revolution. They can be converted with very little modification to a 15th, or a trooper of any of the other regiments of Light Dragoons serving at the time.

I hope you find this information useful, and thanks for looking!

Prost!
Brad

If you ever need info the museum of the 15th/19th Hussars is in Newcastle upon Tyne. My home town. The 15th Hussar officers had a special embroidered pannel on their shabraque that comemorated Emsdorf. The uniform plate is from the book "The ThinRed Line".

Martin

Excellent, thanks for that tip, Martin! I googled and found the museum's/collection's URL:

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museu...th-King-s-Royal-Hussars-Museum-Collection.htm

Thanks for reminding me about Emsdorff, too, I forgot to mention that. The Osprey reference mentions that it was added as a battle honor on the guidon shortly after the action (if I'm not mistaken, there was no specific regulation on "battle honors" as we would think of them, till much later, so there was some variation in the practice).

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:
I've just been digging through my standards reference. This is what I have for 15th Light Dragoons.

Size= 2ft 10in X 2ft 4in. including the 2in fringe. swallowtail guidon.

1st or Royal guidon= Crimson silk, fringe crimson and gold. Centre emblem is a conjoined rose and thistle with a crown above. Top left (near pike) and bottom right = a fancy gold "compartment" with a white horse inside. The other two corners have a wreath with "15" and "LD" below.

2nd and 3rd guidons= regimental facing colour(green) In the centre a wreath of roses and thistles on a crimosn ground. G R in the centre. All surmounted by a crown. The corner boses are the same as 1st guidon with a crimson ground.

In 1768 a Royal Warrant gave permision for 15LD to carry the battle honour "EMSDORF". As such is the earliest instance of a grant of a battle honour in the form of the name of the action.

I think the first picture posted by JB is dated wrong. Notice the flags on the front plate, these were granted with the battle honour and also became "Kings" hence the badge.
The regiment were and are rightly proud of that honour. By the time of Emsdorf, they'd only been formed for eight months!

For anyone choosing to model any of the Light Dragoons in the Seven Years War, I recommend Imrie-Risley's castings of the 17th Light Dragoons from the American Revolution. They can be converted with very little modification to a 15th, or a trooper of any of the other regiments of Light Dragoons serving at the time.Prost!
Brad

Brad,

All The Kings Men also make a Light Dragoon from the Rev War, but its the 17th LD.

ATKMBritishLtDgns4.jpg

Brit16thLtDgns.jpg

I'm sure that its an easy paint job to make the 15th, so for a very economoical troop of draggons, check out ATKM. ken provides plastic horses with metal bases and figures, as well as 3 varieties of right arms.

ATKM%20Cav.jpg

My painting of a set of Rev Cavalry with 17th Light Dragoon on the right.

John

Reference the 15th's guidons, the following are taken from the regimental history.Trooper

Attachments

• 15kings 01.jpg
    15kings 01.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 15kings02.jpg
    15kings02.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 15kings03.jpg
    15kings03.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 369
@John--thanks, I have been remiss to forget Ken's wonderful line of figures! Yes, I recommend them, too. I have a bag of his Jaegers awaiting finishing. I think his light dragoons would make a nice display, advancing drawn up as a troop.

@Trooper and Martin--Thanks for the text and the images, I think they all confirm the info in Osprey, too. I'm ready to paint some now, how 'bout you? :D

One note for anyone who chooses the I/R castings--it works best to file or sand the raised detail off the cap plate. I/R engraved, and very nicely, the cap details for the 17th LD, but it makes it a little difficult to paint the royal cypher for the 15th smoothly, with the original detail in place.

Has anyone seen anything more about the drummers?

Prost!
Brad

I'm pretty sure I've read that they had side drummer but I can't put my hands on the reference right now. I made figures of the 15th a few years back, they're now in the 15th/19th Hussars museum. You've wetted my apitite to make them again though!^&grin

Martin

Side drummer of the 15th. This is confirmed by several sources including Simkin, Lawson and Knotel. Trooper

Attachments

• 15kings sd2.jpg
    15kings sd2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 759
Tradition of London make this drummer as part of the Squadron Range of Model Figures.

SQN099.jpg

Drummer 15th Light Dragoons SQN54 99
British Army 1759, Squadron Range, 54mm Model Soldiers

John

This is another card - similar to the one posted earlier - found in a pile of random cards found some years ago in a Car Boot Sale. Can't vouch for the date - and looks suspiciously like it was derived from your earlier picture Brad - but have reproduced it - for what it's worth. johnnybach

XVLightDragoons1750s.jpg

Thanks, John and Johnny, for the additional info!

@Scott, as far as I know, that Squadron figure is still available from Tradition.

Thanks for the responses and discussion, guys! I hope everyone will find the info as useful as I do.

I have a mounted figure of a trumpeter from I/R, that is finished up to adding the rest of the tack, and the detailing on the horse furniture. However, since it's actually a casting of a musician from the 17th LD in the Revolutionary War, some details aren't quite correct. For one thing, the head doesn't have the helmet, but a tricorne. Now, while it may not have been regulation, I don't think it's out of the question to see the trooper wearing a hat, especially when it was sometimes done in other armies at the time (eg, Prussian hussar officers sometimes wore a tricorne instead of the busby or mirliton, on some occasions), so that's not that big of a deal to me. But the info I had at the time described the musicians as wearing reversed colors, so I painted the coat as green with red facings. Only later did I learn that the musicians wore a green coat with white facings, as shown in the illustrations above. So, I have to repaint the coat. That's on the bench, awaiting completion. I have a couple of foot figures from I/R, too, which are in progress, with pics to follow, eventually.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad - Good! I think that's what this forum is all about - gathering up odds and ends of information from anyone interested - that when put together HELP to get things sorted out.

This is just the sort of thread that appeals to me enormously - please keep it going - as it is a tiny slice of historical research - with (what looks like being) a positive outcome - lovely. Good luck - johnnybach:salute::

Hi Scott - same thing is going through my mind about the mounted drummer. I have had those two cards for quite a while - and have a wistful look, now and again. I am learning such a lot from this thread - so may make it yet another future project - one of these days. Trouble is - I like almost everything I see!!!!! johnnybach.:salute::

Hi Scott - same thing is going through my mind about the mounted drummer. I have had those two cards for quite a while - and have a wistful look, now and again. I am learning such a lot from this thread - so may make it yet another future project - one of these days. Trouble is - I like almost everything I see!!!!! johnnybach.:salute::

Is there a casting for a mounted drummer available?

I hear ya, there are some great looking figures out there. Just ordered my first two from Anne so we will see.

Well - going off this particular subjecta bit - but - I will be having a Mounted Piper set from Yeoman - later on this year (May/June). (Mounted Canadian Rifles). Some of the figures in the band will be mounted side drummers - so will be able to see and work with that sort of figure.

When they are finished - perhaps will look at other similar options for this time period - also Brad will have finished his pieces by then - So.............................

Keep looking too - you never know...it's much easier to do something once some kind soul has done all of the donkeywork! So thanks Brad for ideas, %^V johnnybach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back