1917: Inspired by His Grandfather’s War Stories (2 Viewers)

Disappointing......just not believable. I guess you can say it is somewhat entertaining but I couldn't get past the weak premise.

Saw this with one of my sons yesterday. Had not read the comments before seeing the movie and mentioned the same thing George suggested, using an airplane to drop a msg in a can. I know this method was used in WWII and probably WWI. Or why not send motor cars or motorcycles behind the lines as there appeared to be quite a bit of time prior to the planned assault? Maybe some of this was explained in the first part of the movie, we missed 5-10 mins.

Like Brad, thought this was a good but not great movie, but outstanding photography, trench scenes, etc. Must have been a weak field to be a leading contender for Best Movie Oscar. BTW, the description of the winner, Parasites, seems totally weird to me. Anyone seen this one?

Read a summary of the movie and one critic pointed out the movie gives a false impression of the "concern for humanity" displayed by the high command. The possibility of 1,600 casualties would hardly have made an impression on the general officer corps by this date.

Give it 4 out of 5 stars. Chris
Parasite......interesting story which untangles in the closing scenes. Didn't think it was Oscar worthy but enjoyed it up until the disturbing ending.

Movie directors and producers can't catch a break. Criticized for not having black soldiers in Dunkirk although there may not have been any at the evacuation. The French had colonials units but they may have been in the south, don't know. So they put a Sikh and some black soldiers in 1917. But I read articles that pointed out the Sikhs and blacks served in their own battalions. Kind of funny. Chris

I finally got round to seeing this one. I may be in the minority but found it to be a complete snooze fest. The plot was laughable and boring. A Saving Private Ryan variation. Some great scenery but it was mostly boring. There was a ton of running. The main actor ran through towns and battlefields. Thought that I was watching Chariots of Fire. Had a similar reaction to Dunkirk. Boring.

I finally got round to seeing this one. I may be in the minority but found it to be a complete snooze fest. The plot was laughable and boring. A Saving Private Ryan variation. Some great scenery but it was mostly boring. There was a ton of running. The main actor ran through towns and battlefields. Thought that I was watching Chariots of Fire. Had a similar reaction to Dunkirk. Boring.

As the saying goes, this is one of those movies that needs to be seen at the cinema, it loses something when it goes to the small screen, it was brilliant to see in the cinema.....................I enjoyed it.

Finally saw this the other night, as well, and was left feeling it was worth watching, but probably not twice. I too found the whole premise a bit odd, sending 2 lower NCO's on such a crucial mission. I'm thinking several teams would have been sent as a safety factor in terms of the message getting through, failing the whole message from the airplane thing. Liked the uniform and battlefield details, but really didn't see the point of the whole women and child in the village story line. Some good stuff, some not so good. -- Al

"but really didn't see the point of the whole women and child in the village story line"

Same here but I think you can't have a "stand alone" war movie/story anymore. Has to have a human interest subplot. I thought the whole part with the woman and child and running around the town ruins kind of silly. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back