2014 East Coast Toy Soldier Show, Sunday November 2, 2014 Same place/same time (1 Viewer)

Looking forward to attending. Does anyone know when the doors open for business?

Therein lies the advantage, if you buy a ticket ahead of time. Patrons start lining up early, and those with tickets can enter the vendor hall immediately, while those who didn't buy them in advance, have to take the time to buy their tickets. But the line moves fast, and it's really only an issue if you get there before 9.

See everyone tomorrow, prosit!
Brad

I attended the Hackensack show on Sunday. I haven't been to this show for last two years. Sandy being the reason for one missed year of course. Arrived around 11 am and as soon as I drove into the parking lot I noticed lots more cars then usual. When I walked in it looked like there were more dealers then usual as well. I thought the crowd was bigger too. The usual dealers were there Minuteman, Dutkins, Hobby Bunker, Crown Miniatures, Ted Toys, Michigan Toy Soldiers, Greens Collectibles, etc. Not sure if it was just me, but I thought there were a lot more vintage toy dealers there this year. I was also surprised how many plastics dealers they're were. Plastics were everywhere. I had a whole list of older Britain's Revolutionary war figures I was looking for, but only managed to find one. I picked up an older Britain's ACW Limber Set cheap, and bought a cool three piece ACW musician set from "Order Of Battle".

On Tuesday I had lunch at the Cashtown Inn in PA. While I was there I saw a picture of the actor who played A.P. Hill in Gettysburg hanging on the wall. So who's sitting at a table at the Sunday show signing autographs A.P. Hill.

I attended the Hackensack show on Sunday. I haven't been to this show for last two years. Sandy being the reason for one missed year of course. Arrived around 11 am and as soon as I drove into the parking lot I noticed lots more cars then usual. When I walked in it looked like there were more dealers then usual as well. I thought the crowd was bigger too. The usual dealers were there Minuteman, Dutkins, Hobby Bunker, Crown Miniatures, Ted Toys, Michigan Toy Soldiers, Greens Collectibles, etc. Not sure if it was just me, but I thought there were a lot more vintage toy dealers there this year. I was also surprised how many plastics dealers they're were. Plastics were everywhere.

Your assessment Paul is pretty much what I observed as well. It seems most of the manufacturers didn't have a lot of new releases available in time for this show so that was unfortunate timing. I did get to see the new K&C Pike & Musket range and it looks real good!!

I thought the show was well attended and I too, was taken back by the amount of antique toy dealers and the plastics that there were. I will post some pictures soon.

As always it is the people/fellow collectors that make the time spent at these shows worth it. I met Brad (Jazzeum) for the first time. I carpooled to the show with Andreas (Andanna) and it was a joy walking around with him and spending time at each of our favorite dealer's tables.

Mark

Some photos from the show:

antique Disney toys (1).JPG

antique Disney toys (2).JPG

antique Disney toys (3).JPG

Hess.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05755.JPG
    DSC05755.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 241
I got there at 10:30, so I missed all of you, but I ran into Pete Dawson from the Wings & Wheels IPMS Club, or, the Hawaiian Shirt Mafia, as some of you may know them. Also met up with Art Etchells and Dennis Sosna (Dennis made it in from homecoming at Penn State).

There was a good crowd from opening, and only started thinning out around 12:30 or 1PM.

Sorry, Luiz, there weren't many Staddens at all. The collections I saw earlier this year have been snapped up. I got an early Stadden Hessian grenadier, in the smaller scale (54mm).

I agree that there was a lot of plastic, but I think that's just the latest stage in a development that has been taking place for perhaps 20 years or so. The guys who played as kids with classic toy soldiers--hollowcast Britains and others--really are dying off, and the collectors who are left are either old-timers who played with them, and have a lot of money to buy the choicest sets, or younger collectors who never played with them but like the style and settled on collecting them. So we've seen a gradual shift in that market, I think. Conversely, the guys who played with Marx and other plastic figures as kids, are now in their prime collecting years and I think the market has gradually responded. I can remember when it was pretty much the MarxMan who had any plastic toy soldiers at all, surrounded by table after table of individual collectors, and dealers, with boxes and bins of hollowcast figures--and dimestore figures, too, not to forget that style and the guys who collect it. And I can say I've seen the shift taking place, and at the same time, I've seen the expansion of the newer-makers and the Russian connoisseur figures, to the point where they are established in the hobby. It's interesting to watch.

Prost!
Brad

Afternoon folks ....
It was really a special treat to see many of you at George's booth on Sunday.
A big hello to Mark, Brad, Andreas, Zack, Brian, Fred and so many more.

All you guys keep me pretty busy and hopping about in the booth, but I did manage to sneak out and find a few K&C AWI treasures.

I uncovered a AR26 Continental Cannon ... and ... AR25 the Continental Howitzer set.
Both of them in MINT condition and at a "really" good price. {sm4}
So I was a happy camper.

I'll get some pics up in a short time.

Best to all,
---LaRRy

Afternoon folks ....
It was really a special treat to see many of you at George's booth on Sunday.
A big hello to Mark, Brad, Andreas, Zack, Brian, Fred and so many more.

All you guys keep me pretty busy and hopping about in the booth, but I did manage to sneak out and find a few K&C AWI treasures.

I uncovered a AR26 Continental Cannon ... and ... AR25 the Continental Howitzer set.
Both of them in MINT condition and at a "really" good price. {sm4}
So I was a happy camper.

I'll get some pics up in a short time.

Best to all,
---LaRRy

Larry, was that you working with George in his booth? I didn't know, or I'd have introduced myself and said hello.

George's tables are always hopping, whatever the show, that's a good place to be!

Prosit!
Brad

Larry, was that you working with George in his booth? I didn't know, or I'd have introduced myself and said hello.

George's tables are always hopping, whatever the show, that's a good place to be!

Prosit!
Brad

Yep, that was me and George's space was where all the action was happin' :tongue:.
I will be attending more shows but (most likely) not until next season. I will look forward to hopefully meeting then.

--- LaRRy

Hey warbuff, thanks for posting the great pictures. I had no idea that soldiers of the world had some great looking wwi sets. Thanks for taking the time to put them up

Was there with my son and grandson!! They loved it, and want to go again next year. Bought JJD Armoured Car with Crewman and injured pilot. Starting to build display with my new acquisition.
IMG_1969 s.jpg

Hi Brad,

Thanks a lot for the note and for having kept an eye out there for any Charles Stadden 54mm scale - Boer War or WW1 period.....If you come across any drop me a note....:eek::eek:
Cheers
Luiz

Yep, it's the same place. Rothman Center, Field House, Gym. See you Sunday.
Bill
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastToySoldierShow
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ToySoldierShow
Visit our web site: www.eastcoasttoysoldiershow.com
See our listing on Craigslist: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/eve/4731631997.html

I got there at 10:30, so I missed all of you, but I ran into Pete Dawson from the Wings & Wheels IPMS Club, or, the Hawaiian Shirt Mafia, as some of you may know them. Also met up with Art Etchells and Dennis Sosna (Dennis made it in from homecoming at Penn State).

There was a good crowd from opening, and only started thinning out around 12:30 or 1PM.

Sorry, Luiz, there weren't many Staddens at all. The collections I saw earlier this year have been snapped up. I got an early Stadden Hessian grenadier, in the smaller scale (54mm).

I agree that there was a lot of plastic, but I think that's just the latest stage in a development that has been taking place for perhaps 20 years or so. The guys who played as kids with classic toy soldiers--hollowcast Britains and others--really are dying off, and the collectors who are left are either old-timers who played with them, and have a lot of money to buy the choicest sets, or younger collectors who never played with them but like the style and settled on collecting them. So we've seen a gradual shift in that market, I think. Conversely, the guys who played with Marx and other plastic figures as kids, are now in their prime collecting years and I think the market has gradually responded. I can remember when it was pretty much the MarxMan who had any plastic toy soldiers at all, surrounded by table after table of individual collectors, and dealers, with boxes and bins of hollowcast figures--and dimestore figures, too, not to forget that style and the guys who collect it. And I can say I've seen the shift taking place, and at the same time, I've seen the expansion of the newer-makers and the Russian connoisseur figures, to the point where they are established in the hobby. It's interesting to watch.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back