2019 Baseball season (7 Viewers)

lancer

Lieutenant General
In honor of the new year, time to start the 2019 MLB thread, picking up where 2018 left off, with the FA market...
RHP Dave Robertson has signed a 2-year deal with the Phillies for $23 mil.
The White Sox have made Machado a solid offer...no details. -- Al

In honor of the new year, time to start the 2019 MLB thread, picking up where 2018 left off, with the FA market...

This is where all the MFY fans say "Robertson was on the back nine, he was not very good for us last year, it's best to move on", yet if they had resigned him, it would be "Outstanding news, another piece of the puzzle is in place, GREAT move, now go get Harper, Machado, Britton, Koufax, Gibson and Palmer and call it a day"...……………..

I am not that old but I still remember when a $23 mil contract was huge. Now it isn't even worth a headline.

I am not that old but I still remember when a $23 mil contract was huge. Now it isn't even worth a headline.
Jason, that is very true. When did $23 mil become chump change? I would give anything to have a fraction of that money. Salaries are absurd across all sports but that is a subject I choose not to dwell on.:rolleyes2: -- Al

I see that Tampa Bay has decided to close the upper deck for the coming season, reducing capacity to 25,000 for their stadium. That's still 10,000 more seats than needed based on 2018's attendance. It is also 10,000 fewer seats than any other stadium in the majors. Still gonna be an echo chamber... -- Al

I see that Tampa Bay has decided to close the upper deck for the coming season, reducing capacity to 25,000 for their stadium. That's still 10,000 more seats than needed based on 2018's attendance. It is also 10,000 fewer seats than any other stadium in the majors. Still gonna be an echo chamber... -- Al

And that team has some good young talent too, what a clownshow.

MLB should contract at this point and torpedo Miami and Tampa, hold draft and allow teams to ransack their talent pool...……………….

MLB should contract at this point and torpedo Miami and Tampa, hold draft and allow teams to ransack their talent pool...……………….
Yep. I think the great regular season baseball experiment in Florida has been proven a failure several times over. Spring training and the minors work fine but Florida just can't support regular season ball on the necessary consistent basis. Heck, may as well give Montreal another shot, and East BF, as well.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Hmm, a compassionate fan

Carlos

Hmm, a compassionate fan

Carlos

Neither one of those teams can draw flies, it's embarrassing to play games in front of 47 fans night after night, some minor league teams draw better than these two teams...…………..

Former O's LHP Zach Britton to the NYY's for 3 years, $39 mil. Well, you can never have too many relief pitchers... -- Al

Former O's LHP Zach Britton to the NYY's for 3 years, $39 mil. Well, you can never have too many relief pitchers... -- Al

Modern baseball seems to be built on guys who can go an inning or 2.

The complete game will soon be an unknown relic.

MLB channel pundits believe Machado is close to signing, maybe this week, but within 7 days anyway. White Sox and Phillies are the favs, NYY's in it but distant, and they believe a surprise team is also in the mix. Just the usual speculation, it seems. Guess they have to talk about something.:wink2: -- Al

Heard this rumor on the ESPN baseball show the other day. Say it ain't so. Bums belongs in a SF uni for life. -- Al

I hope he stays as no one symbolizes their World Series run more than him. I guess I also want him to stay because once he goes the Giants will be in all-out rebuild mode.

2B Brian Dozier to the Nats for 1 year, $9 mil. Now the Nats have 3 options at 2B. Rizzo must like the power aspect of Dozier as the other options, Difo and Sanchez, aren't power hitters. -- Al

2B Brian Dozier to the Nats for 1 year, $9 mil. Now the Nats have 3 options at 2B. Rizzo must like the power aspect of Dozier as the other options, Difo and Sanchez, aren't power hitters. -- Al

The evolution of 2B in MLB is pretty amazing. It used to be a largely defensive position (except for maybe Ryne Sandberg), then slowly it morphed into an offensive threat and then players like Jeff Kent and Robinson Cano etc. made people think about it as a power hitting position.

The 2B market has broken loose with 3 major signings in the last day, Lowrie to the Mets, Dozier to the Nats, and LeMahieu to the NYY's. -- Al

With the LeMahieu signing, it looks like the Yankees are out of the Manny sweepstakes.

Meanwhile the Giants have not signed anyone and their predicted starting rotation is scary (for all the wrong reasons).

At this point their projected rotation looks something like this:

Madison Bumgarner
Dereck Rodriguez
Andrew Suarez
Jeff Samardzija
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back