34th Annual East Coast Toy Soldier Show, Sunday, October 30th, 2016 (2 Viewers)

I will be there too but I'll just be buying and carrying out my goal: trying to make George happy ^&grin

I'm hearing very good things about the show, quite a few new vendors are coming, mostly people selling bits and pieces of collections, plus there are a lot of people who've purchased advance sale tickets, I have a feeling this show is going to be a good one.

As long as you're happy, I'm happy..............plus one of these shows, I hold out hope I'll be able to drop an empty van off at the nearest Enterprise and fly home....................^&grin

George, I'm all in for you flying home. Do you have any barszo medieval items? Castle towers and walls?

George, I'm all in for you flying home. Do you have any barszo medieval items? Castle towers and walls?

H,
Nothing at the moment, but I might be coming into some of his castle pieces, will keep you posted................you get first shot.

Thanks again for the preorder, got you 100% covered, will see you on Sunday.

I'm hearing very good things about the show, quite a few new vendors are coming, mostly people selling bits and pieces of collections, plus there are a lot of people who've purchased advance sale tickets, I have a feeling this show is going to be a good one.

As long as you're happy, I'm happy..............plus one of these shows, I hold out hope I'll be able to drop an empty van off at the nearest Enterprise and fly home....................^&grin

Good, I'll keep my eyes open for Staddens, I/R, Rose, etc, for my gray army ;)

Prost!
Brad

My son Alec and I just got home after attending the show, which was quite well attended both by dealers and collectors. Saw Tom Dubel and Julie at the Treefrog tables, George and Larry at the minutemen tables, Matt and his crew at the Hobby Bunker tables, Joe Remson with his Metalshed tables, Joe Saine with his display of wonderful antique toys, Rich Dutkins from Dutkins collectibles and Mike Rosso, just to name a few of the dealers. Bumped into Jon Bennet on line, who was kind enough to give me an extra ticket he had purchased for Hans, who couldn't make it. My son made out like a bandit. When we first walked in, I picked up the Trophy WWI Highland Advance set I had purchased on eBay from Tom Dubel, my only acquisition. After doing a quick tour of the show upon entering, we made a bee line back to Joe Remson, and my son got two Metalshed Royal Navy Air Service Armored cars, a Rolls Royce and a Talbot. Then we went to another table, and got him a Hicks Atwell Nile River Dhow to match his Hicks Atwell armored train. He also got an old bugle at this stand. Then it was over to Mike Rosso's table to get him a vintage Elastolin castle with 2 40mm Vikings and an Archer, each a custom painted Elastolin figure. He is playing with his new acquisitions on the living room floor as a write this post. We both had a great time chatting with everyone and my son is in hog heaven!

My son Alec and I just got home after attending the show, which was quite well attended both by dealers and collectors. Saw Tom Dubel and Julie at the Treefrog tables, George and Larry at the minutemen tables, Matt and his crew at the Hobby Bunker tables, Joe Remson with his Metalshed tables, Joe Saine with his display of wonderful antique toys, Rich Dutkins from Dutkins collectibles and Mike Rosso, just to name a few of the dealers. Bumped into Jon Bennet on line, who was kind enough to give me an extra ticket he had purchased for Hans, who couldn't make it. My son made out like a bandit. When we first walked in, I picked up the Trophy WWI Highland Advance set I had purchased on eBay from Tom Dubel, my only acquisition. After doing a quick tour of the show upon entering, we made a bee line back to Joe Remson, and my son got two Metalshed Royal Navy Air Service Armored cars, a Rolls Royce and a Talbot. Then we went to another table, and got him a Hicks Atwell Nile River Dhow to match his Hicks Atwell armored train. He also got an old bugle at this stand. Then it was over to Mike Rosso's table to get him a vintage Elastolin castle with 2 40mm Vikings and an Archer, each a custom painted Elastolin figure. He is playing with his new acquisitions on the living room floor as a write this post. We both had a great time chatting with everyone and my son is in hog heaven!

Here are some photos of my lone acquisition, the Trophy WWI Highland Charge having joined "The Devil's Ladies" on my Trophy WWI display:

Attachments

• Trophy Highland Charge 1.jpg
    Trophy Highland Charge 1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Trophy Highland Charge 2.jpg
    Trophy Highland Charge 2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Trophy Highland Charge 3.jpg
    Trophy Highland Charge 3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 200
Now here are my son Alec's Metal Shed Royal Navy Air Service Rolls Royce and Talbot Armored Cars:

Attachments

• Metalshed Armored Cars 1.jpg
    Metalshed Armored Cars 1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Metalshed Armored Cars 2.jpg
    Metalshed Armored Cars 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Metalshed Armored Cars 5.jpg
    Metalshed Armored Cars 5.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Metalshed Armored Cars 4.jpg
    Metalshed Armored Cars 4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Metalshed Armored Cars 3.jpg
    Metalshed Armored Cars 3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 197
And the rest of Alec's goodies: a Hicks Atwell Nile River Dhow, an Elastolin Castle with some Elastolin 40 mm vikings and a longbowman, and an old Bugle:

Attachments

• Alec's Goodies 2.jpg
    Alec's Goodies 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Alec's Goodies 3.jpg
    Alec's Goodies 3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Alec's Goodies 1.jpg
    Alec's Goodies 1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 203
Nothing like Louis but I purchased my first Metal Shed set, the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. I also found an early glossy K & C Hitler and (from Treefrog) a Beau Geste flagbearer (Wilhelmina Reich). From George purchased a JJD Desert Rolls Royce and figure.

Saw a bunch of nice Trophy from a seller who has had them before but vastly overpriced.

Show seemed well attended but not as crazy as last year.

I agree with Brad--the crowd seemed to be just a little thinner than last year.

I got there around 10:30. I saw Julie and Tom at the TF table, and I think I saw Brad but didn't get to catch up to him. I spent most of my time pressing the flesh with the vendors for our 2017 show.

I managed to get some Staddens for my gray army, though:

From left to right: Three Hessian fusilier NCOs, carrying the halberd-like spontoon the Hessians used; a Prussian musketeer; a Prussian cuirassier; and another Prussian musketeer.

Here, five more Staddens, all painted but in need of refinishing. From left to right: A casting painted as a Prussian cuirassier officer in the Galarock or dress coat (this may be an infantry officer casting, though, despite the boots. Field officers were mounted and wore boots); Prussian artilleryman with the ramrod-cum-sponge; two Prussian artillerymen with the bars used to help move the field piece; and a Prussian artilleryman with the linstock used to touch off the powder charge and fire the field piece.

There were many pretty things on the tables. Imrie-Risley was absent, I think, but otherwise, most of the regulars are still with us.

I had a nice talk with a representative of the New Jersey branch of the Washington's Crossing preservation group (I didn't realize it, but there are PA and NJ branches of the group). Among the other things on his table, he had a nice selection of 54mm Hessians, which I spotted right away as Prins August castings. The society apparently had British and Continental figures for sale, but they couldn't find any Hessian figures. They ended up using the Prins August castings, and theirs were pretty crisp, and the quality of the paint job wasn't bad.

It seemed to me, too, that there was a lot more plastic represented on the tables, than ever before.

There were some sellers offering a selection of books, too, some for very reasonable prices (eg, $5 for some Civil War books, some hardcover, others paperback). But I had pretty much shot my load on those Staddens. Tonio Marti/Alymer was there, too, with some very nice band sets painted by Cem, and with Army House castings/kits, but since I was done, I couldn't help lighten his load for the flight back to Spain.

But all in all, it was a good show. Bill Lango stages a good show, and if you've never been to it, you really should visit it at least once.

Prost!
Brad

Nothing like Louis but I purchased my first Metal Shed set, the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. I also found an early glossy K & C Hitler and (from Treefrog) a Beau Geste flagbearer (Wilhelmina Reich). From George purchased a JJD Desert Rolls Royce and figure.

Saw a bunch of nice Trophy from a seller who has had them before but vastly overpriced.

Show seemed well attended but not as crazy as last year.

Brad,

What Trophy ranges did he have? Can you give an example of his prices? Any photos from the show? Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

Carl had a lot of Boxer sets and some Sudan sets. His basic price for a six figure set is $250. He also had a camel corps single camel and rider. He wanted $250. He also had what appeared to me to be The Camel Corps Screw Section but not in the original box. He wanted $1450. Laughable. He had some single figures and wanted $50 for each of them.

Brad

Mike,

Carl had a lot of Boxer sets and some Sudan sets. His basic price for a six figure set is $250. He also had a camel corps single camel and rider. He wanted $250. He also had what appeared to me to be The Camel Corps Screw Section but not in the original box. He wanted $1450. Laughable. He had some single figures and wanted $50 for each of them.

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the information. Wow! I would be surprised if he was able to sell any at those prices. Am I correct in assuming that Carl is a collector and not a dealer?

Mike

Mike,

No, he's a dealer. I can send you his name if you wish.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back