3d printed and painted Berlin facia (2 Viewers)

This thread has revived an idea I had some years ago for a display of an upscale cafe or restaurant in Berlin circa 1910. I thought of showing the exterior and the interior, with my 54mm figures from Rose, Stadden, Sanderson, etc. It would be a building similar in layout to Alexander Toy Soldiers' Rose Public House, with its entrance facing a street corner. If you've ever seen "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", or "Der Hauptmann von Koepenick", I picture interiors like that. 3D printing makes it more possible to execute that idea.

Prost!
Brad

Brad, You bring up another good point...3D printing is a great for interiors of structures. I think that was one thing that made some of Conte's early WWII and medieval structures so much fun- the playability inside and out.

Joe

This thread has revived an idea I had some years ago for a display of an upscale cafe or restaurant in Berlin circa 1910. I thought of showing the exterior and the interior, with my 54mm figures from Rose, Stadden, Sanderson, etc. It would be a building similar in layout to Alexander Toy Soldiers' Rose Public House, with its entrance facing a street corner. If you've ever seen "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", or "Der Hauptmann von Koepenick", I picture interiors like that. 3D printing makes it more possible to execute that idea.

Prost!
Brad

Just had a quick look at the Rose public house model although I can't find many pictures of it. Very nice piece and structurally it's definitely suited to 3d printing. With regards to internal components there are a few options that you can explore in that the larger features and pieces (tables/chairs, etc) can be 3d printed with FDM printers in the same way as the exterior. However, the finer, more detailed pieces, could always be printed in resin using an SLA printer. Resin printing is always more expensive due to the extra work and chemicals involved in the process but you can't beat it for details as it can produce models that look as though they've been injection molded.
Regards
Paul

Just had a quick look at the Rose public house model although I can't find many pictures of it. Very nice piece and structurally it's definitely suited to 3d printing. With regards to internal components there are a few options that you can explore in that the larger features and pieces (tables/chairs, etc) can be 3d printed with FDM printers in the same way as the exterior. However, the finer, more detailed pieces, could always be printed in resin using an SLA printer. Resin printing is always more expensive due to the extra work and chemicals involved in the process but you can't beat it for details as it can produce models that look as though they've been injection molded.
Regards
Paul

Yeah, the interior I can do with Phoenix pieces, Historex and similar pieces from my stash, and basswood, Evergreen and Plastruct. But printing would definitely make doing the façade easier than scratching it from thin plywood and foam. Especially because I plan on having a tower base at the corner, with a staircase up from the street to the main entrance. I can't find a good image to illustrate, though I know I've seen such architecture in my travels. The building itself would be a half walk-up; at street level are windows to the lower floor; walking up the steps to the entrance puts the guest a half-story above street level. The interior would consist of a promenade at that level to the left and to the right, with small tables. At center from the entrance is another staircase down to the main floor. And at the second story level would be additional gallery floors, with small tables, and also a small band box to one side or the other.

Ambitious...

Prost!
Brad

While I'm always happy to receive constructive feedback I think I may need to correct some assumptions you've made. Despite me being new to this forum I am not new to 3d printing, painting or selling pieces and have been doing so as a small side business (cottage industry) for some years now. I normally concentrate on the 1/100 and 1/56 market but only started in this 1-30 market a couple of years ago based on people's requests for my pieces in a larger scale for TS. Most of the pieces are originally aimed at the wargaming market where historical accuracy is not the key factor and buyers are happy with a 'representation' of the model that looks good on a gaming table. I simply had multiple requests for pieces to be scaled up to 1-28/ 1-30 scale so started producing larger pieces for people as a result.

Not all of the designs are my own designs as I fund numerous Kickstarters for 3d buildings / terrain and buy the licences to print and sell the models. However, where modifications are needed, especially for the 1-30 market, I do these modifications/adaptations in collaboration with the end buyer and to their specification so they end up with a tailored piece that matches their expectations or requirements. In a number of cases (the Wake island bunker / the Italian cinema) the 3d files don't exist so I design them myself based on images the buyer sends me. Some of your comments regarding impracticality of the pieces may be correct but, if they are designed/modified to the specifications of the end buyer, then who am I to disagree? The one thing I do ensure is that the end buyer gets exactly what they request and that they're fully happy with piece before any money ever exchanges hands.

If I've misworded my original post then I apologise but the only reason for posting these images on this forum was simply to raise awareness of the versatility and flexibility of 3d printing as an alternative way of everyone enhancing the TS hobby, and showing that collectors can access pieces for their displays / collections that may not be available in any other way and also at a cost that would be significantly lower than you normally find from the 'branded' suppliers. The other reason for posting them here was because a fair number of people who I've worked with and sold pieces to in a number of countries, are members of this very forum and some of them have suggested I post on here for the aforementioned reason. Hope that clarifies things a little for you.

Paul

You go Brother....... Your buildings look great. There are plenty of us who have space and would enjoy your buildings. Keep your posting up. Forget the anal ones. By the way do you ship to the US?

You go Brother....... Your buildings look great. There are plenty of us who have space and would enjoy your buildings. Keep your posting up. Forget the anal ones. By the way do you ship to the US?

Many thanks for the positive feedback. I do ship to the US often with these scale pieces. It's definitely not cheap from the UK to the US but it doesn't seem to put many people off. The high postage costs though are another reason I try to keep my prices as low as possible for people. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back