3D Printing - Does That Means I Can Make Mutiple Pieces of of my TS in Future (2 Viewers)

One day the TS manufacturers will sell computer scans for 3-D printers so you can print your own figures. They will also sell variations in colour, facial features, weathering etc so it will be possible to make a set of figures with some variation. Or tanks where the tank number, unit insignia or weathering can be varied. So we will be able to create a tank specifically for a display of a specific battle.

Terry

One day the TS manufacturers will sell computer scans for 3-D printers so you can print your own figures. They will also sell variations in colour, facial features, weathering etc so it will be possible to make a set of figures with some variation. Or tanks where the tank number, unit insignia or weathering can be varied. So we will be able to create a tank specifically for a display of a specific battle.

Terry
Agree...they will need to do something like that I guess.....3D printers will in time...and I do not think that is far away....will be as cheap and popular as the current PC and everyone plus the drover and his dog will have one.....those without the savvy to program their own printer will be able to get their PC teck to do it for them.....the guy who looks after my PC is already getting into 3D printer programing........I am looking forward to getting a 3D printer and having a ball with it............roll on 3D printing....TomB

I have also said this is a innovative and exciting piece of technology however, its going to be a dream for the unscrupulous among us as its going to see a rise in copies of everyone's work not just toy soldiers. I personally cannot wait to get a 3d printer
Mitch

What time frame are we looking at? Is it flying car technology or within the next few years?

What time frame are we looking at? Is it flying car technology or within the next few years?

From what I have read, 3-D printing by the general public is years away. Obstacles are cost and materials used by the printer. I'm guessing the first toy soldiers will be from built up layers of plastic sheets.

Terry

From what I have read, 3-D printing by the general public is years away. Obstacles are cost and materials used by the printer. I'm guessing the first toy soldiers will be from built up layers of plastic sheets.

Terry

Oh well - I grew up with a Beta video recorder, still listen to records and only just bought a mobile phone so I am not really an early adopter of new technology anyway.

People already have them. Not sure they are up to making toy soldiers yet but I do know they make parts for their model railways.

Oh well - I grew up with a Beta video recorder, still listen to records and only just bought a mobile phone so I am not really an early adopter of new technology anyway.
I had a crystal radio ...Your a mobile phone and velvet jacket up on me but I reckon you'd hook into the the 3D bit when it turns up... just imagine what you could make with a printer..A hip Jack in a velvet jacket...rocking and rolling with a Widgee chick... cool, daddo.......Fair Dinkim...cheers TomB

I think some of the technology is readily available to create anything imaginable so Toy soldiers could be made now if wanted. I recall reading last year about a transplant of an elderly chaps lower Jaw. They made a new one from Titanium powder heated and layered in a 3d printer and, it was coated in bio ceramic material. It was a success for the patient its probably just a case of how quick they want these for home use and what the cost will be but, I would say sooner rather than later
Mitch

The issue for 3-D printing today is the cost of the equipment, as we are in the beginnings of the consumer side of this the market is still working through the economics and scale of production. There are several on-line services that will produce in whatever size you want from whatever file you have. I have been playing with which design software to use as I would like this technology to mass produce windows and doors in 1:30 scale for my buildings...there is no commercially available source for this that I can find (if I am wrong let me know)...

As to just printing off copies of figs in the future...this is not yet a cloning system as the cost of the 3-d scanners is prohibitive (the required data piont density for the figs is quite high) and that would mean designing the figures in a 3-D software and then producing the figs. Then there is painting it, although there are scanners and printers that can do color.

I would like to see something in-between as I collect and war game with my figs and need more dead guys to use! I would be happy with them in plastic and would paint them myself if I had to....

I think there is a future in this space for 3-D printing, we just need the train guys to work out the kinks and drive down the costs.

There are a couple of guys on Planet Figure forum who have made figures and they are not too bad.Amazon just announced that their selling some of the 3-D stuff but I'm not sure what it is.I just looked and they do have a couple of 3D printers.They even have the book 3D printing for Dummies.^&grin
Mark

There are a couple of guys on Planet Figure forum who have made figures and they are not too bad.Amazon just announced that their selling some of the 3-D stuff but I'm not sure what it is.I just looked and they do have a couple of 3D printers.They even have the book 3D printing for Dummies.^&grin
Mark
I will check that out....3D Printing for Dummies would give an idea of what to expect in the near future...Tar....TomB

There are some short videos on Youtube that show and explain 3-D printing. Here is just one of them that I thought does a good job of explaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5AZzOw7FwA

Terry
Thank you for the video.....very informative...the best video I have seen on 3D printing so far.....the progress on these printers is amazing....what will they have available in ONE years time ?......cannot wait to find out....I will be saving my pennies....will be like Windows 98 all over again except in a different concept......am looking fwd to an interesting learning experience .....cheers TomB

So 3D printing will mean that you can mass produce figures cheaply, and in plastic! Is it just me???^&grin

Martin

Maybe some day in metal,who knows what the future will bring.
Mark

Maybe some day in metal,who knows what the future will bring.
Mark

They can already print in metal using the metal in powdered form.

But here is an article by someone who owns a 3-D company to put things in perspective. Don't expect home based 3-D printing for many years and certainly not for toy soldiers of the quality produced by the TS manufacturers today for a long time.

http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750

Terry

Last edited:
They can already print in metal using the metal in powdered form.

But here is an article by someone who owns a 3-D company to put things in perspective. Don't expect home based 3-D printing for many years and certainly not for toy soldiers of the quality produced by the TS manufacturers today for a long time.

http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750

Terry
Another good video on 3D printing...I will not argue with the expert...but....a 3D printer for small scale figures would be high on the list of a commercial minded manufacturer for novelty use.....as for material cost.....it has cost me $50 for less than 16 ozs of liquid resin which I wasted trying to cast a figure so if I could get a decent result I am not too concerned about the cost of material....with things advancing so quickly in Teck these days who knows how long before these printers are available...will have to wait and see...and I hope the wait is not too long...couple of years maybe,,,,,.cheers TomB

Certainly will be interesting to see how quickly 3D printing can make metal painted figures.

I would guess unpainted plastic figures and metal kits will be first (if not already done).

Are some expecting such machines will be able to replicate TS styles such as FL, K&C, CS etc or expecting mini clones of the real thing.

Surprised nobody commented upon if their 3D wishes came true then traditional TS companies and their dealers ({sm2}) might find it no longer commercially viable to continue. Just think instead of praising the work of a sculptor or meeting a TS maker at a show you would be able to go to a computer show and chat with a computer programmer who could replicate their previous work. Probably will be from a division of Google or Microsoft.

As with printers now you wonder how much the "inkgredients" might cost.

Raises the interesting point about what affect it would have on existing collections. Would they be devalued as the new 3D stuff becomes more available or would values increase as TS companies go out of business.

Not sure it is going to come quick enough to affect my business so wont be losing any sleep over it. Roll on the days when robots put everybody out of a job.

Brett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back