A bid of sculpting, casting and a little magic... (1 Viewer)

35 (Kopie).JPGHi Brad,
One casualty out of eight is more than ok, it is all down to my selfinflicted "human error" anyway. Most important is what industry does call PROCESS SECURITY. This term simply stands for being able to succesfully and repetitively manufacture qualitywise a "Class A" article within a rather small drop out tolerance throughout the entire production circle. Haveing said that anybody will be quick in finding out that Casting with resins is much more demanding than one might think. Possibilities to produce faulty castings are plentyfull and resins sometimes seem even to ignore the laws of physics - not to speak of the mold-maker and caster.

Some colour now. Picture of a group of officers useing different colours to dye the resin, castings not cleaned up yet.
Regards
Wolfgang

This is what I have cast so far. For the comission I am still working on I need 27 of these infantrymen.

36 (Kopie).JPG

For the same commission I will need 9 Infantrymen wearing this first issue camouflage smock. As you can see
there is still some work to be done, mainly engraveing and sanding the added putty (Tamiya).
I will also start to tackle the leads for the smock. They have been given me a hard time so far because sculpting them on simply did not look good. I will try to attach some strechted sprue instead. Update will follow as soon as I have finished the master of this conversion. Again, building a mold and casting will be the next steps afterwards.
Thank you all for your intrest
regards
Wolfgang​
:salute::

37 (Kopie).JPG

38 (Kopie).JPG

39 (Kopie).JPG

40 (Kopie).JPG

{sm3}{sm3}{sm3}

Again the figure will be cast so it has to be prepared for molding. As you can see sprues where added to aid the casting process.​

43 (Kopie).jpg

44 (Kopie).jpg

45 (Kopie).jpg

The rubber will be cast as before,but this time a spoonful silicone oil is added to the liquid rubber in order to "wet" the mold. This will prolong moldlife and ease the removal of the cast from the mold.

46 (Kopie).jpg

47 (Kopie).jpg

48 (Kopie).jpg

Cutting and opening up the mold will be done tomorrow.

Kind regards
Wolfgang :salute::

The finished castings. I dyed the resin light grey in order to be able to see the detail clearer.

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

Last edited:
I do need 9 figurines in this pose for my ongoing project but casted about 20 in order to see how the mold does behave.
No problems so far, still seems to be good for some more castings. I had a few little issues with some small areas of the bases which did not fill entirly could be the resin I used which seems not to be that liquid compared to others.
Enjoy
Regards
wolfgang

IMG_2500 (Kopie).JPG

IMG_2499 (Kopie).JPG

I wanted a sergant for my project as well so I had to convert the bascic infantryman figure once again.
He needed a new left arm which was taken from the officer model figure. Some material had to be taken away and some parts had to be resculpted in putty before I could attach the ammunition-pouches for his MP40 magazines. The wire showing presents part of the pouring funnel prior to moldmaking. The right arm was drilled open to form a hole in which his right hand -holding the MP40 - can be pluged into.​

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

Last edited:
I attached some styrene letters to show the german word for "CONVERSION => UMBAU" underneath the base.

Next photo shows the finished rubbermold ready for casting.

{sm4}{sm4}{sm4}

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

The first casting is ready. This is how far I can get useing the possibilities of resin casting.
@ Victor
Thank you very much for your kind comment
Regards
Wolfgang​
:salute::

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

Some progress, as you can see you can use resin for very delicate parts as well. Some cleaning up needed to be done.
I had a few casting issues with this figure. Casting the figure including the base in one mold ment casting around a right angle. Since I wanted to explore the possibilities of colouring resin I decided to saw the bases off and replace them with seperatly casted bases. I will continue doing so on future projects as well.

63.jpg

64.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Enjoy - started to work on the final figure of this project.
regards
Wolfgang:salute::

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 453
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 66 (Kopie).jpg
    66 (Kopie).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 456
Very Impressive Wolfgang, don't know how I missed this thread, you are quite the artist!:salute::
Ray

Listening to a nerve wrecking Bundesliga football match on the radio, I had to turn away and rather post something here.{sm2}

For various reasons I had to re-organise my resin pressure casting tools. I got a new pressure vessel as well as a smallish new silent (it says so on the box) air compressor. Both items are working great and are of good use to me. As you can see the pressure vessel ist a dental pressure pot, BUT it offers a wider range for pressure that may be applied. Usually dental pressure pots are rated up to 2,2 BAR of pressure, that comes to 29 PSI in your world. Which is a bit weak to kill all the airbubbles in the liquid resin. My new dental pressure pot is rated for as much as
3,5 BAR = 51 PSI working pressure, while the security valve will open up (hope so) at 3,8 BAR = 55 PSI. All in all a good buy. Once I have sorted out those little Things which are still have to be done I will post some "In-Action-Shots".

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

All measurements done and shown in centimeters. Happy converting.

Aha, Saturday´s matches are played and finished.
Dortmund won and is up first - Bayern lost at home on the opening-day of the Oktoberfest. Neuer ripped his shirt. Life ist good - enjoy!

I finally took a brake from the tinplate forgery and did some resin casting. I will keep comments to a minimum as this is just proof that my new modest casting machinery actually does work and that anybody should be able to achive good casting results at home. Painting etc. will follow in a new thread later.
Enjoy :salute::

0kreuz.jpg0ubier.jpg0ubier1.jpg0box.jpg

One part of the figure needed to be cast the good old way in white metal, here are a few steps. The rubber was not debubbled by vacuum, but by useing the pressure pot as well. Sorry about the mixed up order of some of the pics

Keule.jpgkeule1.jpgkeule2.jpgkeule4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back