A Plea for a Prussian! (2 Viewers)

richardschulze1944

Private 2
Hello one and all

It's been a long time since I last posted on this forum but I am here now to ask if anyone, anywhere, has one of FL's Prussian 11th Line infantry standard bearers? I know it's a retired piece, and I reckon my chances of sourcing one are likely to be slim, but if anyone, a dealer or a collector, can help me then it would be very much appreciated

Thanking you in anticipation

Dave Fell :p:salute::

Hi Dave,
You may want to also post this in the Classified section, I wish you luck in your search its a FANTASTIC figure and one of my personal favorites along with the drummer.. regards Gebhard

Hello one and all

It's been a long time since I last posted on this forum but I am here now to ask if anyone, anywhere, has one of FL's Prussian 11th Line infantry standard bearers? I know it's a retired piece, and I reckon my chances of sourcing one are likely to be slim, but if anyone, a dealer or a collector, can help me then it would be very much appreciated

Thanking you in anticipation

Dave Fell :p:salute::

Dave, I purchased many of the FL Prussian series along with the FL Prussian 11th Line Flag Bearer and Drummer figures....I think that FL should do a re-release of these figures because they are "key pieces" for collectors who wish to collect a specific series such as the 11th Line Prussians......Reluctance in re-releasing Flag Bearers and Drummers, will only result the sales of remaining figures within a series to be sluggish at best and will cause that series to become stagnant or die out completely....I think it would be in First Legion's best interest to re-release figures that collectors want and NEED for their collections to be complete.... I know that I would definitely buy more of these figures myself to add to my existing Prussians....I personally am not interested in owning multiples to latter "price gouge" collectors on secondary markets or relishing in knowledge that "I have it and you don't"....Again I would strongly suggest that FL re-release hot sellers...Matt and FL did a great job in re-releasing some of the Imperial Romans a while back....This was very helpful, As it allowed collectors to purchase more of these figures for their diorama scenes....A win-win for both manufacturer and legitimate collectors....Re-releasing some of these figures would also deter speculators from purchasing multilpes to prey on individuals such as yourself. Best Frank

Dave,
I'm in the boat with you on this one. I really need this figure to further my Waterloo goals. I hope a re-release is possible!! :redface2:
Best,
Josh

I would love to see some pieces re-released. I would love to get some of the early releases of the Crusaders and The British First Guards. But also at the same time I understand why Matt if he does not want to. He wants to always go forward, And if a line is not selling out, or at least most of the line. Then it is countering what every person that sells something wants, It is to sell out the whole line, Profits makes the idea machine go forward . And we are enjoying that process so far. So again, I would love to see re-releases. But, maybe not to the extent. Where the new releases suffers.

I gave up on the British Gds because the flagbearers and the officer got sold out before I even started.

I was also tempted to go for the Prussians but the flagbearer selling out make the decision for me.

With many choices these days, I do not want to pay over the odds just to complete a collection. Either I get them at a reasonable price, or I move on.

This is an indulgence, not an investment for me. Cannot afford to pay higher, hoping to sell higher. Such stunts are better done in the stock market.

I have to go against the flow on this thread ,they where sold as an ' Extremely Limited Edition - 500'
and as such should stay that way . I missed out on that figure also, but such is life you cant have it all.
As for the talk about people buying multiples for profit , this just doesn't stack up imo .
As some one who has sold some of the older FL pieces you might get above retail on the odd item
but by the time ebay takes its fees etc the majority sell at a loss . So good luck to anyone funding
their retirement that way.

Last edited:
I gave up on the British Gds because the flagbearers and the officer got sold out before I even started.

I was also tempted to go for the Prussians but the flagbearer selling out make the decision for me.

With many choices these days, I do not want to pay over the odds just to complete a collection. Either I get them at a reasonable price, or I move on.

This is an indulgence, not an investment for me. Cannot afford to pay higher, hoping to sell higher. Such stunts are better done in the stock market.

I got lucky with the British Guards I got all three, plus the sapper. Just before it sold out. Would welcome and buy the Coldstream, when and if it comes out. As far as knowing which army is going to sell out before it is all.gone is like being in the stock market. You can get busted out, before you get all the pieces you want. And with all the pieces I have bought. Only the General Colbert had a warning. Because it already got stated from the start that it was a very limited release.

Hi Guys,
Cut and pasted from the FL website.

"Our toy soldiers and historical miniatures are produced in limited numbers, typically less than 500 of each figure, though we reserve the right to produce as many (or as few) as we want unless the figures are marked as per the categories below:

Extremely Limited Edition: A product code that is marked as Extremely Limited Edition will have less than 500 of it produced.

Special Collector's Set: A product set that is marked as a Special Collector's Set will be produced in specific numbers that will be noted on the product detail page. This is typically 150-250, but each is noted with the actual number produced. "

So as you can see ALL FIRST LEGION FIGURES LIMITED EDITIONS. I feel for guys just starting to collect First Legion who may have missed figures they really want. Unfortunately that is the nature of being a collector. I would just say as I have all along if you start a new line go for the Standard Bearer first followed by the Drummer that will buy you time to collect the rest of that unit at your leisure for the most part. These figures have been out for several years and I'm still building my unit by buying at least one Prussian with every order that's the only way for me to build a full Regiment without going broke. regards Gebhard

Tee hee

I appear to have opened up a can of worms here :tongue:

I'm not pleading for FL to make more of the figure and I'm not too upset about missing the boat. There are plenty more figures in the range still available

I have to confess, I didn't appreciate the fact that the figure was a limited edition piece and I'll make sure I look more carefully next time. The advice about going for the SB, the drummer, and perhaps the officer figures first is certainly sound. It doesn't matter quite so much if you don't get all the others, and indeed you might not want them depending on what kind of 'look' or battlefield arrangement you want your unit to have

Ho hum. I'll chalk this one up to experience and make sure I buy the 'special' figures first in future

:):p:salute::

Tee hee

I appear to have opened up a can of worms here :tongue:

I'm not pleading for FL to make more of the figure and I'm not too upset about missing the boat. There are plenty more figures in the range still available

I have to confess, I didn't appreciate the fact that the figure was a limited edition piece and I'll make sure I look more carefully next time. The advice about going for the SB, the drummer, and perhaps the officer figures first is certainly sound. It doesn't matter quite so much if you don't get all the others, and indeed you might not want them depending on what kind of 'look' or battlefield arrangement you want your unit to have

Ho hum. I'll chalk this one up to experience and make sure I buy the 'special' figures first in future

:):p:salute::

No can of worms here my man:smile2:....I think its just good business sense for manufacturers to produce or re-release items that collectors want or need for their collections to be complete....I am sure that many guys would like to see this happen on occasion not only for themsleves but for their fellow collectors who may have missed out on a particular figure.....Maybe First Legion will re-consider this in the future.... again Matt did this for the Roman Imperial Line and it was much appreciated by many guys...It's First Legion's choice and perogative to "change policy" as they see fit and I still think it would be helpful to collectors such as yourself.......Since I do not purchase X-TRA FL Fag Bearers to price gouge on secondary markets it does not matter to me....I am glad to see others enjoy what I own and enjoy it also.....Some folks are against re-releases....WHY????: Take note: There is someone on e-bay who is trying to sell a Flag-bearing FL Crusader on e-bay for $415 dollars.....A typical speculator hoarder:mad:....Re-releases would keep out the speculators who may try to purchase key figures like Flag Bearers or Drummers with the sole intent of latter PRICE GOUGING others.....FL should get the money for their products...not speculators

Last edited:
I got lucky with the British Guards I got all three, plus the sapper. Just before it sold out. Would welcome and buy the Coldstream, when and if it comes out. As far as knowing which army is going to sell out before it is all.gone is like being in the stock market. You can get busted out, before you get all the pieces you want. And with all the pieces I have bought. Only the General Colbert had a warning. Because it already got stated from the start that it was a very limited release.

Congrats to you. Would have been great to have them all at retail, but it was an easy decision for me to move on once it's sold out.

Compared to the stock market, trying to buy these and hoping to turn a profit is simply too difficult and a big hassle. Much more convenient and better odds in the stock market to turn a profit and finance your indulgence in these collectibles.

All my spending in these are considered "expenses", not "assets". Odds are most of them are going to be a loss if I try to sell them - provided I can sell them because they are illiquid and the market is extremely niche and limited.

I think Frank is right its sad that a core want to try and rip people off (sorry, adhere to the capitalistic system!!) but, I am also torn between a release being kept at a stated number and re releasing previous figures. I can see the pro's and con's for both.
Mitch

Hi Guys,
I think some of us are getting way off point here, The Prussian 11th Line Infantry Regiment from First Legion were released back in August of 2009 which is now over four years ago. Though like I said I feel for someone who may have missed the one figure that has sold out in those four years some of us have been waiting four years for First Legion to move on and give us some other Prussian figures. I did get my Blücher & Gneisenau thanks Matt but we need Landwehr , Artillery, Calvary, Guard figures and so on and so on. Just like we need more Bavarians which by the way Frank the standard bearer sold out long before the rest of those figures but guess what Frank they are all gone so no need to think they will become "stagnant or die out completely" with no standard bearer. Oh and Frank if you could please post a link to this mysterious hoarder and speculator of Prussian Standard Bearers I'd like to buy two of em one for Dave and one for my buddy Josh.. regards Gebhard

Hi Guys,
Oh and Frank if you could please post a link to this mysterious hoarder and speculator of Prussian Standard Bearers I'd like to buy two of em one for Dave and one for my buddy Josh.. regards Gebhard

{sm3} {bravo}}That would be a generous gesture indeed. Something tells me though I might still be waiting in another four years time! :):tongue:

Cheers Geb for the kind thought!! :salute::^&grin. Sadly, I have seen a few price gougers on EBay, though they are limited. As was pointed out our hobby is a bit too niche for much of a profit plan from speculation. That said I have seen it a few times. I'm sure ill pick up a standard bearer at some point. It has taken time and a few dollars above MSRP, but I have gotten other sold out figures that I wanted such as Colbert.
Best,
Josh

{sm3} {bravo}}That would be a generous gesture indeed. Something tells me though I might still be waiting in another four years time! :):tongue:

Dave (and Josh), I think you will be waiting much longer then 4 Years for that gift..:rolleyes2:....Gebs If you really want you can find that $415 FL Crusader flag-bearer on e-bay, no link needed and not so mysterious:wink2:... Oh and Gebs, you can send me one also if you are so generously inclined.{eek3}

Last edited:
No can of worms here my man:smile2:....I think its just good business sense for manufacturers to produce or re-release items that collectors want or need for their collections to be complete....I am sure that many guys would like to see this happen on occasion not only for themsleves but for their fellow collectors who may have missed out on a particular figure.....Maybe First Legion will re-consider this in the future.... again Matt did this for the Roman Imperial Line and it was much appreciated by many guys...It's First Legion's choice and perogative to "change policy" as they see fit and I still think it would be helpful to collectors such as yourself.......Since I do not purchase X-TRA FL Fag Bearers to price gouge on secondary markets it does not matter to me....I am glad to see others enjoy what I own and enjoy it also.....Some folks are against re-releases....WHY????: Take note: There is someone on e-bay who is trying to sell a Flag-bearing FL Crusader on e-bay for $415 dollars.....A typical speculator hoarder:mad:....Re-releases would keep out the speculators who may try to purchase key figures like Flag Bearers or Drummers with the sole intent of latter PRICE GOUGING others.....FL should get the money for their products...not speculators

You will never stop the odd person speculating ,All you can do is not buy from them .
The only way a manufacturer could prevent it , is to overproduce all their products [and go bust in the process].
Even though FL reproduced the Imperial romans it has not prevented this from happening for certain pieces.
If FL goes ahead and reproduces items that where advertised as ltd their credibility would be shot to pieces.

As for the guy selling the crusader for $415 good luck to him . I'm mot going to buy it , but that's the joy
of being an adult ,we can decide for ourselves how to spend our hard earned money .

Cheers Geb for the kind thought!! :salute::^&grin. Sadly, I have seen a few price gougers on EBay, though they are limited. As was pointed out our hobby is a bit too niche for much of a profit plan from speculation. That said I have seen it a few times. I'm sure ill pick up a standard bearer at some point. It has taken time and a few dollars above MSRP, but I have gotten other sold out figures that I wanted such as Colbert.
Best,
Josh

Hi Guys,
I'm serious about that one and the offer still stands for the next thirty seconds ^&grin:wink2:. I think most of us understand the way the Hobby works and nobody likes to pay more then issue price on anything period although I like most have. Evilbay is just another tool used by us collectors to try and build our collections just like the Classified section on this forum sometimes you can find a deal sometimes not. The key is to get it out there that your looking for that piece and hope for the best, I know I was missing one figure sometime back from the French Old Guard Chasseurs, still don't know how I didn't order that one. But by the time I realized it he was sold out, I just mentioned it to some fellow First Legion collectors and a fellow FL collector and good mate Harry sent me one for free all the way from China :salute:: I'll never forget that one. I know for me I always try and help out fellow First Legion collectors when and if I can and many FL collectors do the same so guys I will try and get the word out as well. If I find one or two I will be sure to pass the info on or just pick em up for ya. Of course like vandilay said if some nutter tries to charge $415.oo just say know after he relists it 20 of 30 times maybe he will get the point... Cheers and Happy hunting. regards Gebhard

You will never stop the odd person speculating ,All you can do is not buy from them .
The only way a manufacturer could prevent it , is to overproduce all their products [and go bust in the process].
Even though FL reproduced the Imperial romans it has not prevented this from happening for certain pieces.
If FL goes ahead and reproduces items that where advertised as ltd their credibility would be shot to pieces.

As for the guy selling the crusader for $415 good luck to him . I'm mot going to buy it , but that's the joy
of being an adult ,we can decide for ourselves how to spend our hard earned money .

I agree with you that no one in their right mind will buy a First Legion Figure for 4-5X's the normal retail cost....Most of us are not that stupid....I am not asking a manufacturer to over-produce products that will not sell.....That's Ridiculous and makes no business sense....But if there is collector DEMAND to purchase more of a product why not produce it??.... First Legion was correct to produce more Imperial Romans when they realized that collectors wanted more of them....Well Done First Legion:salute::.....It was much appreciated by many and of course (a few complained:confused:)......As for credibility?? Shot to Pieces???....Give me a break...NO WAY...the only people who think this way are speculators.....First Legion should decide that policy as they see fit....and alter it as they see fit....Personally I am not about to question First Legion's credibility if they choose to re-produce certain products.... If First Legion has a great and popular product that collectors still want to purchase and they decide to re-release more to sell....I say GREAT.....It's all fine by me...No problem and none of my business.....Most guys do not collect TS as investments....And I do not celebrate the fact that: "I have it and you don't". E-nuff said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back