A Real Reality Check (3 Viewers)

PanzerAce1944

Colonel
A Real Reality check. Many here on the forum get on here and submit our comments about products that we would like to see be produced. Dear Andy please make this or dear Andy please make that. When the new items appear then complaints fly rampant about rising costs. We all know the labor costs and everything related to it have sky rocketed during the past year.Based on this, new products require new design, sculpting, new molds, and sometimes more hands involved based on the magnitude of the project. I don't think there is one person here on this forum who would disagree with me about the following fact:
King&Country produces more new releases and products on a monthly basis than any other toy soldier company in existance today! To do this it costs..... MONEY.
The big topic right now is the price of the upcoming Typhoon. I fully trust K&C adjusted their price point on this war bird based on production costs running higher on this polystone aircraft than that of previous releases. The one advantage that collectors have in todays market is there are several great companies in existance producing our beloved miniatures. If you are not happy about a particular product made by brand "Y" then go seek out brand "X" if your heart so desires.

A Real Reality check. Many here on the forum get on here and submit our comments about products that we would like to see be produced. Dear Andy please make this or dear Andy please make that. When the new items appear then complaints fly rampant about rising costs. We all know the labor costs and everything related to it have sky rocketed during the past year.Based on this, new products require new design, sculpting, new molds, and sometimes more hands involved based on the magnitude of the project. I don't think there is one person here on this forum who would disagree with me about the following fact:
King&Country produces more new releases and products on a monthly basis than any other toy soldier company in existance today! To do this it costs..... MONEY.
The big topic right now is the price of the upcoming Typhoon. I fully trust K&C adjusted their price point on this war bird based on production costs running higher on this polystone aircraft than that of previous releases. The one advantage that collectors have in todays market is there are several great companies in existance producing our beloved miniatures. If you are not happy about a particular product made by brand "Y" then go seek out brand "X" if your heart so desires.

tell me than how is it Figarti can make a twin engine fighters £12.00 cheaper in the UK then!?

I thought this was a King&Country thread ???? I don't know the answer to that. Ask Figarti.....{sm2}
Well your post was about production and cost & figarti make there stuff in the same country as K&C so must have the same overheads but can still make a bigger plane cheaper fact

I like to think that everything I've asked K&C to make I have purchased when they did (D Day Brits,Arnhem,Spitfires etc). I have asked for the Typhoon and now I'm going to buy it, yes its a lot of money and I will have to delay other purchases, but I'm sure I will be more than pleased with the aircraft and I most probably will never need to buy another Typhoon again. I'm not rich by a long way and £300 is a great deal, but its what I want in my collection and I'm happy to pull the trigger on this, some agree with me and some will not, but thats what its all about, freedom of choice. I appreciate the views of those who don't want to spend that much and those who do, its what helps make this hobby very enjoyable.

Rob

I like to think that everything I've asked K&C to make I have purchased when they did (D Day Brits,Arnhem,Spitfires etc). I have asked for the Typhoon and now I'm going to buy it, yes its a lot of money and I will have to delay other purchases, but I'm sure I will be more than pleased with the aircraft and I most probably will never need to buy another Typhoon again. I'm not rich by a long way and £300 is a great deal, but its what I want in my collection and I'm happy to pull the trigger on this, some agree with me and some will not, but thats what its all about, freedom of choice. I appreciate the views of those who don't want to spend that much and those who do, its what helps make this hobby very enjoyable.

Rob

Fair point mate :smile2:

Rob
Great points made. Everyone is free to pick and choose.....For myself personally I choose to pick up a Typhoon. Who else makes it . There is an up side to the story here. Try going out and picking up one of the earlier wooden versions made. I am sure this new polystone creation will end up as the bargain between the two. Wooden Typhoons are upwards of $700.00 or more !!!!!

Maybe the answer is not to release as many new items each month. If you can not control your production costs as in any business you will eventually loose market share and cease to exist. Collectors are being priced out of the hobby every month, and new collectors hesitate to get involved in an increasingly more expensive hobby. Fortunately I can still afford to buy most of the pieces that I like, but I have cut my new K&C purchases by at least 90% in the last ten years. Now I have to think about what I am actually getting for my hard earned money. Price vs quality ? The two are starting to grow too far apart as far as I'm concerned.

I know I may get ridiculed for posting this, but I'm not going to spend $369 for a 1/30 scale aircraft no matter what it's made of. The real reality check for me on this issue of $369 for a 1/30 scale Typhoon is... I have lots of 1/32 scale aircraft that look good with K&C figures, plus they all have sliding canopies, rolling wheels, removable pilots, spinning props, and some even have movable rudders and flaps, removable/interchangable bombs/rockets/fuel tanks/etc., and the Corsair even has foldable wings as if it's on a carrier. I spent probably between $15 - $65 for each one (depending on when I bought them, at a store or on ebay etc.), so the average costs would be around $40 each. So at around $40 apiece, I can have nine 21st Century planes, or one K&C Typhoon. That kind of puts it in perspective for me. This is only my opinion of course.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 539
Maybe the answer is not to release as many new items each month. If you can not control your production costs as in any business you will eventually loose market share and cease to exist. Collectors are being priced out of the hobby every month, and new collectors hesitate to get involved in an increasingly more expensive hobby. Fortunately I can still afford to buy most of the pieces that I like, but I have cut my new K&C purchases by at least 90% in the last ten years. Now I have to think about what I am actually getting for my hard earned money. Price vs quality ? The two are starting to grow too far apart as far as I'm concerned.

Very good post

I know I may get ridiculed for posting this, but I'm not going to spend $369 for a 1/30 scale aircraft no matter what it's made of. The real reality check for me on this issue of $369 for a 1/30 scale Typhoon is... I have lots of 1/32 scale aircraft that look good with K&C figures, plus they all have sliding canopies, rolling wheels, removable pilots, spinning props, and some even have movable rudders and flaps, removable/interchangable bombs/rockets/fuel tanks/etc., and the Corsair even has foldable wings as if it's on a carrier. I spent probably between $15 - $65 for each one (depending on when I bought them, at a store or on ebay etc.), so the average costs would be around $40 each. So at around $40 apiece, I can have nine 21st Century planes, or one K&C Typhoon. That kind of puts it in perspective for me. This is only my opinion of course.

Nice pics Duke, I don't think you should be ridiculed at all, we all make decisions about our collections and it is very much what works for us, you have a nice collection there.

Rob

Great points made. Everyone is free to pick and choose.....For myself personally I choose to pick up a Typhoon. Who else makes it . There is an up side to the story here. Try going out and picking up one of the earlier wooden versions made. I am sure this new polystone creation will end up as the bargain between the two. Wooden Typhoons are upwards of $700.00 or more !!!!!

I have one of the original Typhoons made and you really can't compare the two as to quality. There is none. Given the choice between the two, I'l take the wood anyday.

I have one of the original Typhoons made and you really can't compare the two as to quality. There is none. Given the choice between the two, I'l take the wood anyday.

So you would say the polystone version does not compare to the wooden version in terms of quality ?

Who makes the ME-262 and the Stuka ???? Thanks

Heartily concur with the suggestion to cut back on the monthly releases. Lessen the preassure on all concerned, especially the dealer network and the customers. -- Al

So you would say the polystone version does not compare to the wooden version in terms of quality ?

I'm sure the polystone one is fine but the wooden warbirds are in a class by themselves; they are museum quality pieces. In a sense, you really can't compare them but not wanting to evade the question, no, I don't think a polystone airplane can compare to a wooden airplane. However, you are paying for that quality and it's not cheap. The Typhoon cost $695 then but would be at least $795, if not more, today.

I agree. I would welcome fewer releases if it helped with cost. The downside might be cuts in many non-WWII lines.

Who makes the ME-262 and the Stuka ???? Thanks

21st Century makes all the ones I pictured. Since you asked about the Stuka and ME262 I thought I'd show some more pictures of those grouped together, and some more pictures of others.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 260
Nice pics Duke, I don't think you should be ridiculed at all, we all make decisions about our collections and it is very much what works for us, you have a nice collection there.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I know you and others have been waiting for the Typhoon and I'm glad you'll be able to have one. For me, I just don't like putting too much $ into one item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back