A Report From Chicago (1 Viewer)

Louis Badolato

Lieutenant General
Hello all. I just arrived back from Chicago, and I thought I would update everybody on the information I obtained and observations I made while walking the maze of rooms, meeting, greeting and, of course, purchasing.

First of all, let me report on the two most impressive things I observed (in no particular order):

(1) King & Country's Dioramas and new releases. Unbeknowst to Steven, when he posted the photos of Andy's room, most of what there was to see had been held up in customs (as had much of Figarti's products, more about that later). Fortunately, by Friday morning at 10:00 a.m., K&C's missing boxes had arrived, so let me take you through it. There were custom made dioramas by Gordon Neilson of K&C, which K&C would be willing to produce for collectors (talk to Gordon at the Kings X shop in San Antonio next week for details), each more impressive than the next. These include:

(a) the Saracen castle depicted above, which is made of wood, cardboard and foamboard - the photos are of the unfinished version, there are tons of cool banners on it, and the interior, which is mostly real wood scaffolding, it unbelievably detailed;

(b) an Alamo chapel diorama, which is about the coolest small diorama I have ever seen;

(c) a Battle of the Bulge Diorama consisting of a scratch built ruined church, graveyard, and ruined house across the street;

(d) a Sands of Iwo Jima diorama, which incorporates the new K&C defenses;

(e) a small Napoeonic Vignette (also depicted by Steven); and

(e) a tiny LAH display.

Andy has indicated that he and Gordon will be designing, producing and displaying new fantastic dioramas for each of the shows they attend. To provide further detail concerning the masproduced version of the Saracen Castle, Andy indicated that the gateway section (gate with two flanking small towers), the wall section to the right of it and the corner wall to the left of it have already been modeled for mass production as individually sold polystone parts which can be combined to make a castle facade (two towers flanking two wall sections and a gate), or, by adding additional wall sections and towers, a full three dimensional fortress at the collectors choosing.

(2) Figarti's new "Masterpiece Collection" Tiger Tank (5 versions!). I cannot state this too strongly: There has never been a better armored vehicle produced in any medium I am aware of than this tank. The tank opens (the top of the turret lifts off to reveal the turret's interior, the turret and top deck lifts off to reveal the interior of the chassis. The tank is 80% metal, 20% polyresin, and is constructed of in excess of 950 individual parts, including brass shells, and individual metal track links connected by pins. I swear the tank appears to be ready to start up and attack. At $300 it is expensive, but for those into realism (the "get real" crowd) it is a must have. I pre-ordered two of the five versions.

There was also a very nice Pegasus bridge prototype that Rick intends to produce if he can figure out a material both sturdy and light enough to ship while simultaneously sufficiently nice to match metal toy soldiers (i.e. not plastic).

Figarti had a very polished audio/visual presentation (Rick's dad is very charismatic, and makes an excellent ambassador for the company, as Andy is and does for K&C). Sadly, 10 new Korean sets were still stuck in customs, but kudos to Figarti for addressing the long overlooked "forgotten war".

An honorable mention (no pun intended) to Honour Bound for its excellent Bergepanther and German Field Kitchen sets. They were incredibly well sculpted and had some nice metal details, but (sorry get real guys) the I'm sure very realistic weathered paint schemes just didn't pop for me.

All in all I give the following grades to our manufacturers:

K&C: A+ for figures, A+ for dioramas and display, and a strong B for vehicles (they improved tracks looked very good).

Figarti: AA+++ for vehicles (they are so far out in front with the tiger, and also a remarkably well made LVT 4 Amtrak, that no one else is even close), an A- for dioramas (which improves to an A or an A+ if they can actually mass produce the Pegasus Bridge), but sadly, still a C- for the figures (I saw some improvement, but they are still way behind K&C, Honour Bound, Frontline, and Britains.

Honour Bound: A for vehicles (they are second only to Figarti) and A- for figures (they are second only to K&C). They had no dioramas or display, so I cannot grade this area. More later, time to spend some family time.

Thanks Louis,

I'm just deciding what Tiger to buy.:confused: :confused:

Any idea when they are going to be released?

The modular Saracen's castle looks a good idea, can't wait for the pictures. Did anyone see any of the completed saracen's on their travels.

Thanks again

Andy

The Tiger is due for a Christmas release.

The castle sections are going to be released in the first quarter of 2007.

There were several excellent completed saracens on the fort by Friday afternoon, including a mounted Saladin, a standard bearer and a dead saracen. There were also a wounded crusader pleading for his life, several different guys climbing siege ladders and the ladders on the siege tower, more mounted crusaders and the prototype of a catapult. Andy will also be adding a trebouche in the not too distant future.

Also, let me say it was an absolute pleasure to meet several forum members like Carlos, Alex Prieto, Pat Wade, and UCLA67. It was also incredible to see Brian (Warbuff26). Thanks for everything man, you were a life saver. For me, the best part of attending the show is the fellowship. In all of the years I have been collecting, the new friends I have made have always been the best acquisition. I got to spend quality time with Andy and Gordon (K&C), Rick (Figarti), Steven Chong, Brian Wayert, Hans, Larry, George Guerrero, Shannon and Pete, Tim Tyler, Bill Sager, Mike & Sue Neville, Craig McClean, and even got to put a face to Peter Nathan (of Australia), another terrific K&C dealer. I can't wait to see everybody at the Symposium in March!

Louis-
Thanks for the update. I haven't shared the Figarti mania in the past beacause of the smaller size but look forward to seeing the Tiger. What are five versions that they are making?

If anyone has a picture of the limited edition sherman could you please post it because I would love to see it.

Louis,

Thanks for the report. One questions, am I to understand that Gordan Neilson is willing to do custom dioramas for collectors and reproduce the ones that he makes for the shows? Just want to understand this correctly.

Thanks,
Old Guard

Gordon is apparently willing to produce custom dioramas (he made the firebases and other custom dioramas K&C used to produce, and has only improved over time), but interested collectors must be patient (it took him 5 weeks, working 8-10 hours a day, to produce the Saracen Castle diorama) and willing to deal with the expense. I think he is booked for the next few months, based on the response at the show.

I have to say that the Saracen Castle and the Alamo Chapel were extraordinary, and I expect he will be receiving dozens of orders for the Chapel diorama, which at approximately 2 feet square and 12-14 inches high is small enough to be readily displayed, more affordable, and extremely eye catching.

By the way, the photos of the upcoming strictly limited (Patton?) Sherman looked extremely good. If it looks as good in person K&C's grade for vehicles may be raising to a B+ or A-.

Andy also indicated K&C was very serious about the production of wood warbirds, with (drum roll) clear canopies and detailed cockpits (Ozdigger is thrilled about the tracks, so this should also please him), but only a limited edition of perhaps 200 of each, and only one at a time (i.e. the first must sell out before he releases the second). The planes will be single engine, and not the more common fighters (Mustang, Spitfire, Hurricane, Zero, etc.) or bombers (Stukas, Avenger, Dauntless, etc.) mass produced by the plastic or diecast companies. There will be interesting figures, vehicles and diorama pieces to complement each plane.

There was also mention by Andy of interest in a couple of other exciting periods of history for possible new lines (with ample opportunity for dozens if not hundreds of highly interesting sets), but if I told you Andy might kill me.

Enough for now, my family calls.

Hi Louis-

Having read your report(s), I have only one word in respect of K&C: WOW.

Pierre.

Thanks Louis for the quick responce. That castle sure looks cool and expansive.

Does anyone have a picture of the Battle of the Bulge Diorama? It would be nice to see.

Thanks,
Old Guard

... An honorable mention (no pun intended) to Honour Bound for its excellent Bergepanther and German Field Kitchen sets. They were incredibly well sculpted and had some nice metal details, but (sorry get real guys) the I'm sure very realistic weathered paint schemes just didn't pop for me ...
First, I agree that the Bergepanther and Field Kitchen are incredibly well sculpted. However, after viewing the HB Bergepanther, I was disappointed in the plastic toy-like sheen of the two-tone and three-tone camouflage. This is not as noticeable with first three (3) Panthers because of the Zimmerit paste or on the winter camouflage versions. Of course, this is just my opinion and others may not notice anything.:)

Steven:

Any photos on the white armored car (M3 White Scout Car)?

Thanks
N-P

Andy also indicated K&C was very serious about the production of wood warbirds, with (drum roll) clear canopies and detailed cockpits (Ozdigger is thrilled about the tracks, so this should also please him), but only a limited edition of perhaps 200 of each, and only one at a time (i.e. the first must sell out before he releases the second). The planes will be single engine, and not the more common fighters (Mustang, Spitfire, Hurricane, Zero, etc.) or bombers (Stukas, Avenger, Dauntless, etc.) mass produced by the plastic or diecast companies. There will be interesting figures, vehicles and diorama pieces to complement each plane.

That is good news Louis. Btw, I scored a nice 1/32 scale Hasegawa Storch on eBay recently. It is an early special edition that has a metal 'Rommel' figure and three decal variations of actual Storch's that Rommel flew in. Now all I need to do is make it up and paint it. Which may be a challenge as I haven't assembled and painted a plastic kit for many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back