A tribute to our pal Don Pielin (1 Viewer)

HobbyBunker

Corporal
It is time to say goodbye to my friend.

Last year Don Pielin had traveled to the Toy soldier show in Germany shortly after that he became ill. He seemed to bounce back and get excited to come to the Chicago show last year even though he wasn’t quite himself. He kept sneaking out to have a beer with his buds and his brother Dick would always try to send him up to bed. I think Dick cut him some slack. Maybe Don knew it was his last show but we certainly didn’t. I think we all wish we could have one more night with the “godfather of toy soldiers.”

I think we all talked about trying to get together at the West Coaster but unfortunately Don had some more issues over the winter and he never could quite bounce back. Don passed away a few days ago with his family by his side.

If you never met Don then you never had the chance to meet the best guys in and hobby. Let me change that, the best guy period. The amount of energy he had was incredible he could stay up till 2AM or 3AM in the morning with us like we were drinking beers in college. He would wake up at the crack of dawn and be in the lobby his jacket and tie running the show all day om minimal sleep. The rest of us would be struggling to get out of bed. He always made time to chat with anybody at the show and was always able to solve anybody’s problems, put out any fires and sit down and have a drink and a conversation with anyone.

Don was 33 years my senior and I’ve never seen it that way. Several years ago at the Chicago show Don started a tradition for a small group of us it was called the Chicago brewery beer crawl. Several to 12 or more of us would get together on Wednesdays rent a van with a driver and taste the town. Don would show us some sites and take us to the best breweries and eateries in town that he would scout out with his son in-law in advance. Those are some of the best memories I have from the Chicago show. The other tradition he started was a bunch of us would get together on Sunday night and bring all the beer we could find and order a pile of Lou Malnati’s Pizza and meet in Don’s suite. Some would stop by and say Hi, others like my crew would stay there late into the night. It was a great way to wrap up a great week and say bye to our friends. I know myself and many other guys will truly miss those two nights. Hats off to Don, you know how to bring a crowd together. Wednesdays would include friends from the UK, The West Coast and places as far as Australia. It was quite a group and we were all Don’s pals in different ways. Don and I could sit and talk about anything. We shared a love for toy soldiers, beer, football and our families. At times he was like my pal and other times like a mentor. I first met him when I was a teenager and really got to know him in my 20’s and he was in his 50’s. Back in the early 2000’s Don, Marc Gaines and Mike Holverson and a bunch of others would leave the bar and wander back to my room. After a few years of 2AM parties I had to kick them out! I could not keep up with Don and the “old school” Chicago crew. Then the after parties would take place in Don’s suit for the next 10 years. The old guy could out party me!

Cheers to you Don. RIP my friend. I will see you again some day and we will have that chat and toast that beer.
don1.jpg

Attachments

• don2.jpg
    don2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 316
  • don4.jpg
    don4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 298
  • don5.jpg
    don5.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 313
  • don6.jpg
    don6.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Please share your memory or story.

The family will have a memorial service for the Don in 2021. This has been hard for many to swallow.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Don was something rare these days...a Real Gentleman.
Seems like every year, when I would arrive Wednesday or Thursday afternoon, he was in the lobby...he would always take a minute to come over while I was checking in and welcome me. Then when my wife would fly in on Friday afternoon, the first time he saw us, he would come over and welcome her. Made us feel our attendance was important to him.
He made the show, and will be missed.

Wow, what a great tribute, good job Matt.

I first met Don back in 1996, my first trip to the Chicago show, I was with Bill Murphy, Matt's Dad.

Such a nice guy, a true class act, I was amazed at how energetic he was, always had a smile on his face.

The following year was my first as a dealer, we did not have tables on Sunday as the show was sold out. Don came by my room and told me a dealer had to leave due to an emergency and did I want the tables, I said sure, I offered to pay right there, he told me no problem, pay me tomorrow.

On Sunday Don stopped by my tables to ask me how things were going, I was doing great, I told him "Hey, I need to pay you" and he said "Oh yeah, I almost forgot, thanks for reminding me"............we struck up a friendship after that, he'd call me or I'd call him, we'd chat about toy soldiers and life in general.

At one point at Chicago, at the bar he told me "Gee George, I'm really impressed with how far you've come in the business, I remember the first year you were a dealer you didn't have tables, now look at you, 8 tables loaded with merchandise, good for you"...............I was amazed he remembered that.

I used to be at the back of the room downstairs, he came over to me at one of the shows and asked me if I'd be willing to move to the front of the room, he wanted to put me there as he loved my displays, I was thrilled and honored to have such a great spot.

Don was just a tremendous person, as the years went by and he sold the show, he would still seek me out and stop by my rooms, or I'd see him at the bar, always a big smile on his face and I felt humbled that he knew me and my name, think of all the people Don deals with, quite an honor to be honest.

He invited me and my show helper Larry up to the show suite one Sunday after the show for pizza and beer, very nice gesture on his part, we'd decompress together after the show and share some laughs, he always had great stories, such a quick wit and engaging personality.

To me, Don was the show, so much work and effort, I'd always call him a few days after I got home to thank him and he'd always thank ME for coming and for putting out such nice displays, he told me at one point after my Dad had passed away "I could tell when I spoke with your Dad he was proud of you and he should be, he raised a fine son and a true credit to the hobby"....................man, just thinking about that now the room gets dusty, he got a bit choked up in the moment as did I, I will never, ever forget that conversation.

To me, the business is great and wonderful and a blessing to be able to do for a living, but as I get older, to me the real joy of it is the people you meet along the way, people like Don.

Thanks for all you did for me Don as well as countless other dealers and the hobby in general, putting on the greatest toy soldier show on earth.

R.I.P. Don, say hello to my Dad and save a spot at the table for me...............................

Thank you for posting Matt!

I know I am a relative newcomer, but Don was always nice to me and nice to chat with!
I only made it to one of his Sunday night shin-digs, but it was a fun time where I was sitting on a couch with him, Matt and George.

He always seemed to have far more energy than the rest of us, that is for sure! He will be missed at the next CTSS and MMSI shows in the future.

Always a smile on his face like below - even on Sunday! Or maybe because it was Sunday and he knew it was almost time to relax?

9780615689661_10_.jpg

Julie

My most memorable memory of Don comes from a Westcoaster Show that I attended and ended up with Matt and crew in another characters room - who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty. Somehow I got talked into packing up the room the night before the show. Don and his brother came in with plenty of beer, strong beer! I got to talk with them more that night than any other time and it was a fascinatingly good time. They had lots of stories and plenty of beer. Packing up that room with some very expensive and vintage Britains got a little nervewracking the more strong beers I had! That said, it was a great time and Don was right in the middle of it. Very sad to hear this as I didn't realize he was not doing well and took a turn for the worse. Great tribute Matt as that really sums up a lot of what I remember about Don, only wish I had more memories and conversations with him.

Tom D.

I only made it to one of his Sunday night shin-digs, but it was a fun time where I was sitting on a couch with him, Matt and George.

9780615689661_10_.jpg

Julie

That was a fun night....................me and you are to the right of Matt in the one picture he posted from the hospitality suite that night....................

Needless to say, 2020 has been a dumpster fire of a year, one to forget, that is for sure.

In terms of how long others have been in the hobby, like Julie said above, I feel like a bit of a new comer.
Don made me feel welcome and always came by my room to ask if there was anything I needed.

As someone who organized a toy soldier show in Texas, Don's energy absolutely astounded me!
I even bought some cool dime store figures from him and he was kind enough to teach about dime store figures.

Thanks Don for all your hard work put into The Chicago Show and the toy soldier hobby!
You made a Texas girl feel perfectly welcome in the toy soldier mecca that is The Chicago Show.

Amber Martinez-Garcia
Kings X Toy Soldiers

In terms of how long others have been in the hobby, like Julie said above, I feel like a bit of a new comer.
Don made me feel welcome and always came by my room to ask if there was anything I needed.

As someone who organized a toy soldier show in Texas, Don's energy absolutely astounded me!
I even bought some cool dime store figures from him and he was kind enough to teach about dime store figures.

Thanks Don for all your hard work put into The Chicago Show and the toy soldier hobby!
You made a Texas girl feel perfectly welcome in the toy soldier mecca that is The Chicago Show.

Amber Martinez-Garcia
Kings X Toy Soldiers

I would like to echo Amber’s kind and appreciative words about our good friend Don Pielin...Don was one of the most generous and courteous men in this little hobby of ours...Always ready to help and assist anyone, anywhere who needed advice or support especially before, during and after the Chicago Show.

I first met him at the very beginning of our involvement in the toy soldier business when we took part in our very first Chicago Show in 1985. As newbies we knew virtually nothing about setting up and selling at an Event of this magnitude and Don was always ready and willing to lend a helping hand and provide practical assistance at all times.

On a personal level we were invited to his lovely home on numerous occasions to join other Show Vendors and Collectors, especially us foreigners, to see and talk all things Toy Soldiers...and enjoy a couple or three beers too!

His contribution to the success and growth of the Chicago Show was immeasurable and his quiet, warm and friendly personality and character will be sorely missed by the entire hobby and his many, many friends all over the world.

We lost a very special collector ...and a true gentleman...He will be missed.
Our sincerest condolences to his family.

Andy and all his admirers at K&C in Hong Kong.

I am sad to hear another of our band of brothers has gone west. I only knew Don from the Chicago Show, but he was always friendly and kind. He, like so many of our other departed friends, will be sorely missed. My sincere condolences to his brother, his family, and his other loved ones.

As an aside, I echo George's sentiment that 2020 has been an absolute dumpster fire.

Ray and Bre did a great interview with Don in September 2019 for their "Ray and Bre Live" YouTube Channel, in which Don talks about his history of collecting and that of the Chicago Toy Soldier Show. He also shares some of his massive personal collection during the interview. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXatRzuUro

Interesting back story to this hobby by Don Pielin. What I took away from this, is how important relationships are in our little community. Without each other this hobby cannot survive, so for me I say a big thank you, to all fellow collectors whose passion ensures it continues to thrive and bring enormous pleasure for all of us. Cheers for sharing this video. Robin.

I`m Honored to have known Don Pielin since the late 70`s. A true Gentleman. Congenial, Always helpful. A Master Craftsman at running the OTSN/CTSS. He will be Sorely Missed. Condolences to his family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back