ACW Iron Brigade Clarification (1 Viewer)

rharry

Private 1st Class
I was looking at some of my Iron Brigade and noticed some of the figures have a gold bugle on the black hat and some don't...can anyone explain the difference to me???

thanks........

I am not sure of this, but hat insignia did change at points during the war. The bugle was an infantry insignia and widely used. According to my copy of "Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War," at the time of Gettysburg, the 24th Michigan wore the red corps badge (1st corps, 1st division) and a 24 for the regimental designation (no bugle). I know the corps badge did not get instituted in the Army of the Potomac until between Fredericksburg and Gettysburg. That is why I do not put Iron Brigade soldiers with red circles on the hats in my Antietam dioramas.

Maybe someone else can give additional information.

You'd have to see if the unit was issued all the brass with the Hardee hat as a dress hat. (written documentation) If they were ordered to wear the bugle. (more written documentation) If the unit was on campaign long enough for men to loose the bugles. (educated guess) If there are letters from the troops mentioning the bugles or lack there of in the unit or seeing the unit. (yet more written documentation) If there are photos of the unit around the time of the battle. Lastly, that the sculptor used the above information and his imagination to show some variation in the figures. The "buffs" might accept no corps barges at Gettysburg as opposed to corps badges at Antietam.

Here is a photo of a fully dressed Hardee Hat prior to 1863. In early 1863 Corps Badges were introduced - the Iron Brigade was assigned to first corps (circle) first division (red) - the 2nd and 3rd divisions of the first corps wore white and blue circles.

The french horn was used as the infantry symbol along with the sky blue hat cord. Inside the french horn was the regiment designation (6th Wiscosnin) and above that the Company designation (Company D). After the corps badges were introduced the Company designation would be worn inside the red circle, which was placed above the horn. The hat was also dressed out with a black ostrich plume and the national shield which pinned the left side of the hat up for the enlisted and the right side of the hat up for officers. Keep in mind, this picture is a full dress uniform hat. During a campaign, the ostrich plume was quickly lost, and the brass pieces were lost or broken and not often being replaced. A campaign soldiers appearance could have been just a plane unadorned black hat or a hat decorated with any combination of the brass pieces seen on this one. As a former Iron Brigade Black Hat reenactor, 2nd WI, Company K, my campaign Hardee Hat was completely unadorned except for the sky blue hat cord and the french horn with the hat brim completely flat, not folded up on one side.
:) Mike

Attachments

• 4306334789_2548f8eb35_z.jpg
    4306334789_2548f8eb35_z.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,482
Any chance that the brass was just removed and put away as the men would be charged for replacement?

Any chance that the brass was just removed and put away as the men would be charged for replacement?

I suppose that was possible also Scott. It certainly would seem logical. Living in the Madison, Wisconsin area and having been a member of the Iron Brigade Association, I have had the priviledge on several occasions to have had "behind the scenes" tours of the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum and have been able to see first hand many original uniforms, flags, articles of clothing (both government issued and private prchased), weapons, and accoutraments carried by members of the 2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin regiments - items that are archieved and not on public display. Simply amazing "stuff". The museum also offers for sale reproduction tinware actually copied from the originals.

I suppose that was possible also Scott. It certainly would seem logical. Living in the Madison, Wisconsin area and having been a member of the Iron Brigade Association, I have had the priviledge on several occasions to have had "behind the scenes" tours of the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum and have been able to see first hand many original uniforms, flags, articles of clothing (both government issued and private prchased), weapons, and accoutraments carried by members of the 2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin regiments - items that are archieved and not on public display. Simply amazing "stuff". The museum also offers for sale reproduction tinware actually copied from the originals.

Mike thanks a lot wish we could all see that museum.....if they ever let you take some pictures if you go again would love to see them.....Im in love with the Iron Brigade.....

How come they don't let the general public view them?
Mark

To a great extent they do Mark. They have a fabulous life size diorama of the Iron Brigade coming through the corn field at Antietam along with many static displays of weapons and equipment. They are just like any other museum, lots of material and short on display space. Here's a photo of some of my old comrades . . . .

CoKatGttysbrg081.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back