Adhesive: Foamboard on to ply wood. (2 Viewers)

I use scenic scatter it can be picked up from just about anywhere creative models and Historex for two. delux materials are also a good brand and they do a good water product as you will want some water in your shell holes. Though, if thats too expensive use another craft product called glossy accents exactly the same stuff just mixed in a bottle ready to use. Its much much cheaper!! You can even water down PVA glue with water and use an old spray container. With WWI trench though you can get away with having to use such stuff as you can mix sand with normal house paint (the right colour for your mud scene) and use it like that. It will give a great mud like colour to your groundwork. You can then highlight certain areas with MiG Pigments or, vallejo or any acrylic paints. I have done a few WWI trenches and when I start I put down strene foam in chunks then cover with a modrock bandage which, is available in any hobby store over the top then apply the paint to that.

Don't spend a lot on pre made products you can make them or, find them outside that will suit. twigs from the garden etc can replicate burnt and destroyed trees not many battlefield scenes had trees in full foliage so, just keep your eyes open the next time you go for a walk and, take a bag or two with you.

Aluminium foil is also great for the heavy blankets etc that were used in the trenches by troops for personal cover to dugout covers just paint it the colour you want and bend shape etc.

Also type into the internet there are loads of tutorials and other such info with everything you need and, in some cases a step by step guide to building such things.
Mitch
Hi Mitch

Just viewed this product. There's a little demo you can view. It looks decent stuff. What brand do you use for your scatter?

You're all getting me a bit excited now! This is great advice. How would you assess your own first attempts at building a diorama?

I was building Tamiya kits when I was about 8 years old and started around then making scenes for them. I would say my first attempts were pants
Mitch

You're all getting me a bit excited now! This is great advice. How would you assess your own first attempts at building a diorama?

Very much a learn as you go experiment, that's part of the fun of it . My first effort was a very small scene but with the use of the right products I was pleased with the result. I hope they've gradually got better as I've gone along.

Going back to your question re JG, to see how stunning they can look check out the best dio maker on the forum (UKReb) in his ACW Diaries thread, although a different era from yours the work is jaw dropping ;

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?6347-The-American-Civil-War-Diaries/page139

Rob

Last edited:
A bit about JG also I am not a massive fan of their stuff to be honest. The matts for me are rather pricy for what they are and, the couple I have seen and had had bits of the rubble glued to them fall off all the time and, some of the trees were not very good in terms of bits falling off them.

I did a little experiment with some mohair good quality from a bear making supplier and poor quality cheap stuff from Boyes in the UK £2.95 per metre. I made a lot of grass matts from them with just a little chopping with scissors and some plaster to make roadways. They were just as good as the ones on sale and, were a fraction of the cost. there was also no discernable difference between the expensive mohair and the cheap products.

If your making your own stuff for dio's then I would recommend doing it the whole way groundwork and all. You can easily spend hundreds on dio made material from manufacturers to make a single dio or, with the same money and a little leisure time make at least ten plus for the same amount scratch built.

I suppose some will swear by it and some of the other dio makers who sell pre made products like the new photo layouts but, they are not for me
Mitch

I did observe the desert mat at one of the toy soldier shows and I have to agree, it isn't something I would buy. The long grass mats look ok, although I haven't viewed it up close.

That's my quandry really. The thing that makes me want to do this, is that the WB trenches are ok but I believe they are supposed to depict the first day of the Somme but there is no grass. At that stage the Somme wasn't the glutinous morass we know it would later become. It's daunting but should be fun.

I did observe the desert mat at one of the toy soldier shows and I have to agree, it isn't something I would buy. The long grass mats look ok, although I haven't viewed it up close.

That's my quandry really. The thing that makes me want to do this, is that the WB trenches are ok but I believe they are supposed to depict the first day of the Somme but there is no grass. At that stage the Somme wasn't the glutinous morass we know it would later become. It's daunting but should be fun.

You should come along to the London show if you get chance, JG and a host of other companies have all their items on show , its an Aladdins cave for the collector and diorama maker. Britains stuff is not as good as some other scenic companies out there. The JG grass mats look a lot better up close, but you can see in the link how good they are. I think they also do a patchy grass/mud version that may work better for you.

Rob

Last edited:
...I've ordered 500 coffee stirring sticks in the hope that I can turn these into duckboards and trench support slats but my painting limitations concerns me greatly, hence why I have ordered so many! I need to learn the art of drybrushing to weather them sufficiently and learn fast...

Wooden coffee stirrers are great for scratchbuilding, though I got a good stash free from the guy who runs the coffee service here in our building. I told him what I use them for, and he gave me two boxes :D Here in the States, the arts & crafts stores also sell strips of basswood of similar width and thickness, but of course, that's more expensive than wheedling a freebie from the coffee guy ;)

I've used them to make Luftwaffe hardstands, and also to build some tables in 54mm.

Prost!
Brad

KC....

Well, you certainly don't have to buy matts to depict that type of scene. scenic grass is available if you wish to buy it or, again, make your own. You can get some very good products from Historex look for reality in scale who do some very nice stuff. Scenic grass can be bought very cheaply from any model shop or train hobby store and, is excellent look at the grass that K&C use its all scenice flock or similar for the main parts. Cheap and cheerful and, then you can add your own clumps in where you want.

I made a WWI dio and everything in total cost £94 and it was 36X 24. that was a full trench and part of no mans land. Its always daunting but, start with a small base board of say, 12x12 and see how it goes then work from there.

Richard Windrow has a book out terrain modelling or similar title where he makes a WWI trench from scratch and, thats very informative. I think its an Osprey title but, I believe there are some things on the web also.
Mitch

You should come along to the London show if you get chance, JG and a host of other companies have all their items on show , its an Aladdins cave for the collector and diorama maker. Britains stuff is not as good as some other scenic companies out there. The JG grass mats look a lot better up close, but you can see in the link how good they are. I think they also do a patchy grass/mud version that may work better for you.

Rob

All being well I should be there this year. I believe Angel is the nearest tube, is that right?

All being well I should be there this year. I believe Angel is the nearest tube, is that right?

Yes it is. We have a social gathering at every show (venue to be decided on) at which you would be very welcome to join us, would be a pleasure to meet you.

Best

Rob

Actually the show is enlarging somewhat this year and is I believe going to featuring model suppliers, so its possible there will be more modelling sundries such as paint, glues etc on show.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back