Aeroart figures inquiry (1 Viewer)

wds0855

Staff Sergeant
Hello all. Can someone tell me how can you identify or determine if a figure is an Aeroart figure exactly? Do they all have some kind of identification or mark in common? Sometimes I see figures for sale marked under the base as St. Petersburg, is that one and the same?

Walt

Hello all. Can someone tell me how can you identify or determine if a figure is an Aeroart figure exactly? Do they all have some kind of identification or mark in common? Sometimes I see figures for sale marked under the base as St. Petersburg, is that one and the same?

Walt

Hi Walt,
it really depends. Aeroart in the beginning was involved in contract designs, ie, they contracted Grudsky, Arseneyev, Sineus and a number of others (Rochachev, Zernov) where they didn't actually own the sculpt. SO - on those, you may see many different marked bases, but they are all technically Aeroart figures, they just didn't own the sculpt. Later, they owned all their Sculpts and all of those will usually have the marking on the bottom in some form. Some embossed, but some still paper labels. Also, for example, Tatiana (Nevaskaya) which are the highest quality of all, also did some figures for Aeroart. End of day, have to look at each figure. There are also a lot of other really good studios out there from the past including original Lead Army, AR (Rochachev), Bijato, Amber, WorldArt, Granada (Grudsky), etc. Also, Argo produced some very nice unique figures back in the day!

In my opinion, it is really hard to find a "bad" Russian (vintage) figure.

Regarding today's modern studios other than Aeroart and Amber, I tend to have an issue with them. Most of what I see are either kits or even worse pirated kits (Pegaso, etc) painted very nicely, but really not my cup of tea. Modern figures - I think it is really hard to compete with Aeroart, Amber or Tatiana (and her offspring). I always say you get what you pay for. Now, some of the modern studios are out to lunch IMO with what they charge. While Aeroart is considered expensive, I would put their average $250 figure up against anyone and I don't think they would be beat. I see single figures being advertised at huge sums for supposed museum quality. That is Horse crap IMO.

Ok, there you have my 2 or 6 cents on the subject, hope it helps!
Tom

Walt

It depends. AA marks usually have certain marks under them. If there is a particular figure you’re looking at, please send a link and we will try to answer the question.

It depends. AA marks usually have certain marks under them. If there is a particular figure you’re looking at, please send a link and we will try to answer the question.

Yes. It's in Aeroart's book. Different artists have their own mark. But it usually shows the Byzantine/Russian double-eagle in white on black on the bottom. Experts on this forum do know and I can always look them up (although newer figures aren't in the book).
We have about 5 Aeroart experts on this forum, as far as I know, so you should be able to get an answer.
Best Wishes Walt & good work to our knowledgeable pro collectors.
Paddy

A mark of merely "St Petersburg" only under the base is likely not an Aeroart figure. If you have a picture of the base bottom and figure, we can help identify its origin for you. Aeoart figures, whether produced by their own St. Petersburg artisans or other contracted elite Russian studios, have either a stamped base underside or an identification label with Aeroart's black and white double headed eagle with gold stripe or a large letter "A" . This large "A" actually indicates Arsenyev Studio, but almost every "A" piece you will find outside of Russia was sold by Aeroart. Hope this helps- Joe

A mark of merely "St Petersburg" only under the base is likely not an Aeroart figure. If you have a picture of the base bottom and figure, we can help identify its origin for you. Aeoart figures, whether produced by their own St. Petersburg artisans or other contracted elite Russian studios, have either a stamped base underside or an identification label with Aeroart's black and white double headed eagle with gold stripe or a large letter "A" . This large "A" actually indicates Arsenyev Studio, but almost every "A" piece you will find outside of Russia was sold by Aeroart. Hope this helps- Joe

Joe,
I would also add the Grudsky figures, sometimes they had the "painted" on or "written on" information on the bottom.

Tom

Joe,
I would also add the Grudsky figures, sometimes they had the "painted" on or "written on" information on the bottom.

Tom

Tom,
Agree, and since all Grudsky figures were all sold by Aeroart without even changes to the codes, they fall under the Aeroart umbrella.

Tom,
Agree, and since all Grudsky figures were all sold by Aeroart without even changes to the codes, they fall under the Aeroart umbrella.

Joe,
just thinking of another long ago maker - Vision Miniatures - they had some excellent figures (some duds), but they actually shared some of the same sculptors. I am thinking of the Assyrian Archer figure. They also made some really unique Arab and Persian figures (archers with the painted "tin" capes).

I also forgot, even though Niena gets the rep of souvenir quality, I have a few large format (90, 120 and 150) figures that are pretty dynamic and exquisite.

Like I said, really hard to go wrong with Vintage Studio Russian figures. I know you have some beauties too!

Tom

Joe,
just thinking of another long ago maker - Vision Miniatures - they had some excellent figures (some duds), but they actually shared some of the same sculptors. I am thinking of the Assyrian Archer figure. They also made some really unique Arab and Persian figures (archers with the painted "tin" capes).

I also forgot, even though Niena gets the rep of souvenir quality, I have a few large format (90, 120 and 150) figures that are pretty dynamic and exquisite.

Like I said, really hard to go wrong with Vintage Studio Russian figures. I know you have some beauties too!

Tom

Oh yes, Vision made some nice pieces back in the day. I used to have a nice vignette with a Roman being attacked by a leaping barbarian.

I agree about Niena's larger scale productions. That's where their work really shined.

Oh yes, I'm thankful to have quite a few extraordinary figures.

Joe

That is very good information. If you don't mind can you tell me would this be an Aeroart figure, based on the marking under the base?
saint petersburg Aeroart Russia 54mm Spartan Officer w/spear & shield Pre oop | eBay

Walt

As others have confirmed this is an Aeroart figure, but I should point out this figure is not in "mint" condition as the listing would have you believe. It has been repaired. The arm holding the spear is twisted entirely out of shape and is at an incorrect angle. The distorted metal in the wrist area has been repainted. This piece has clearly been worked on, and whoever did the work did not know the proper orientation of the spear as it originally would have been. It's possible that the entire hand was replaced. This is far from a mint condition figure, and it has been poorly restored. The rest of the figure appears to be fine.

As others have confirmed this is an Aeroart figure, but I should point out this figure is not in "mint" condition as the listing would have you believe. It has been repaired. The arm holding the spear is twisted entirely out of shape and is at an incorrect angle. The distorted metal in the wrist area has been repainted. This piece has clearly been worked on, and whoever did the work did not know the proper orientation of the spear as it originally would have been. It's possible that the entire hand was replaced. This is far from a mint condition figure, and it has been poorly restored. The rest of the figure appears to be fine.

Agree, it is all in placement of the hand. It looks as when it was reset, wrong position taken. The actual blend on the paint is not bad which is tough to get, but the reset is all wrong and awkward. That said, beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder!
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back