AG066-068 Persian War Elephant and Persian Warriors! (2 Viewers)

FirstLegion

Sergeant Major
We are pleased to present the next release for our World of the Greeks figure series, AG066 Persian War Elephant (includes 3 figures) and AG067-068 Persian Standard Bearer and Archer! The Persians used War Elephants raised from Indian territories under Persian rule. They were trained by their “Mahout” (driver) who rode them into battle directing their movements. Other than the driver, other men armed with javelins and bows would ride in the tower on the back of the Elephant to launch missiles into enemy troops. As they were such large beasts their primary purpose was to strike fear into the enemy soldiers, most of which would never have seen such an animal. The results of using them in battle were mixed as they were difficult to control when panicked and were just as likely to trample friends as well as enemies. At Gaugamela Darius had 15 such elephants which were placed at the center of the Persian line where they made quite an impression on the Macedonians facings them. We have recreated the war elephant with an absolutely superb level of sculpting and incredibly intricate hand painting, particularly that on the ornate blankets and cloths which cover the elephants sides, head, and rear making this a unique and incredibly high quality piece. AG066 War Elephant is a limited edition Special Collectors Set of only 110 pieces available worldwide.

AG066 Persian Indian War Elephant (Elephant and 3 Figures) $895.00
AG067 Persian Standard Bearer $89.95
AG068 Persian Archer Firing $79.95
Ships Mid July

AG066page1.jpg

AG066

AG066page2.jpg

AG066

AG066page3.jpg

AG066

AG066page4.jpg

AG066

AG066page5.jpg

AG066

AG066page6.jpg

AG066

AG066page8.jpg

AG066

AG066page9.jpg

AG066

AG067page1.jpg

AG067

AG068page1.jpg

AG068

Best,

Matt
First Legion

Very nicely done Asian Elephant. The proportions are excellent and the pose is very nice. How many figures will fit into the Howdah?

Very nice. This will be my first elephant. I wonder if we will see other elephants similar to what Matt does by offering different versions of the same tanks. Roman or Carthaginian elephants would be nice additions as well.
Matt

Thomas Gunn has produced both Roman and Carthagenian War Elephants.

Very nice. This will be my first elephant. I wonder if we will see other elephants similar to what Matt does by offering different versions of the same tanks. Roman or Carthaginian elephants would be nice additions as well.
Matt

I have seen their elephants and found them to be tempting. In general, I prefer First Legion's figures. I do hope that they will produce other variants.

Thomas Gunn has produced both Roman and Carthagenian War Elephants.

That's quite an achievement to put out such a great set at that price. Congrats to FL on such an ambitious effort! It looks wonderful. Being entirely hand painted makes it all the more impressive. That's a ton of work!

Joe

incredibly intricate hand painting, particularly that on the ornate blankets and cloths which cover the elephants sides

Are the blankets seriously painted free hand? Does anyone know the process of how these are produced? They look gorgeous.

Model looks brilliant .

Love the two recent elephants from TG.

I am an avid collector of war elephant models bit of a fan boy . from original Heydes , to the russians and the new lines . I have been in antcipation from the first photo released twelve months ago.

The model from is FL . is an elephant in the service of Persia. Why is there a Howdah on it . The Indian , Persian and Macedonians rode on the back of the animal .

Pyrrhus is credited with the Howdah . so untrained riders could mount the platform . (Pyrrhus king of Epirus ,related to Alexander the greats ).

if it was a later period of the Sassinids 4th AD howdahs were used .

Howdah is believed to be a Persian word for un trained . This was a term coined by the Mughals

So once again beatiful model which I will be ordering .

Parksie

For those interested in this model, only a handful are left on the FL site. I would anticipate that these would be sold out sometime before autumn (just a guess, due to the price tag).

I just added a few foot soldiers to my elephant! I love the colorfulness of the Persians!

Persians%20-%20First%20Legion%20LTD-X3.jpg

That looks awesome! FL's Persians are really nice figures. They make a mounted commander that I like a lot too. Thanks for sharing the pic of your new Persian warriors!

Joe

Mine arrived this week. Again, special thanks to Matt for the great delivery service to Hong Kong.

E655800B-824E-4E18-9DFE-542DD87A940A.jpeg

CFF96971-3242-44B8-8C83-6DCC6CEDFC94.jpeg

If we ever did "year end awards" for toy soldiers this surely would have to be one nominated for consideration (although released last year I think- as I get older time gets more distorted, lol). Now that I think about it, year end toy soldier awards would be fun to vote on.

Joe

Does anyone have either version of the Thomas Gunn elephant and how does it compare to the First Legion? The First Legion elephant is excellent IMO and has great scale to it.

Appreciate others thoughts.

Achilles

if I recall correctly I remember seeing the FL and TGM elephants side by side at a show and the FL one is definitely bigger.

same for the St Petersburg Elephants, larger then TGM ones. see photo below from the show and FL is similar;

20170610_124656.jpg20170610_124608.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back