Alan Caton aka Trooper (1 Viewer)

acw cavalry

Registered Member
It's with great sadness that I have to inform the tree frog community of the passing of Alan Caton aka Trooper. Alan passed away suddenly in the early hours of yesterday morning having complained of feeling unwell. An ambulance was called but unfortunately by the time that it arrived Alan had died.

Alan for those of you who were unaware was a master sculptor and was commissioned by a number of the U.K. Makers to make master figures for new ranges and was a well respected personality within the toy soldier collecting fraternity. It is planned to recognise Alan's contribution to the hobby in a forthcoming edition of Toy Soldier Collector magazine. In the meantime it is hard to imagine the hobby without Alan's presence and it truly feels like the end if an era!

That's sad new for us all.

Alan was a master sculptor for our hobby, who I did meet on one occasion at the London Toy Soldier Show in 2010 when he joined us Treefroggers at the bar for the lunchtime drink.

He was very friendly to me, as he’s seen my work via my website and commented favourably of my painting of many of the figures he had sculpted.

I have loads of figures in my collection that he had sculpted, in particular from makers such as Alexanders Toy Soldiers, Tradition of London and Wilson Edwards here in Australia.

He’s also been a wealth of information to other collectors, via this Forum, and always proved valuable knowledge on uniforms, colours, makes and everything associated with our hobby.

Lest we forget

That is sad news indeed. I was fortunate in having many conversations with Al over the years, putting the world to rights. A hugely talented and knowledgeable man who's passing is a great loss to our community.
Simon

I remember painting some of A Caton sculpture with lot of pleasure
Sure he will be regretted

Worked first as painter for Tradition, then sculpted his first 90mm in 1974 ( American Revoluion & Bavarian 1812 ) also in 54mm ( Indian Colonial Forces ) and many more .
codification for Alan Caton's work a Tradition is ACxxx
In 1976/77 he joined DEK ( Alan Caton and Derek Cross ) making 80mm in kit form for "All the Queens Men"

Last edited:
My deepest condolences to the Family! Trooper ( Alan ) was a great person. Never met him personally but did Exchange many mails and interesting discussions related to the hobby.....
I have a great interest in Victorian Era Armies for the period we tend to call Victorian Little Wars and he was responsible for a great many master sets for soldiers of the period that ended up in a great many manufacturers as mentioned by Obee.....
We will deeply miss his expertise in the historical background of the hobby and the sets as he would be very through on the research before launching a master.....
Cheers
Artillery_Crazy
aka Luiz

Attachments

• 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 433
  • 753.jpg
    753.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 497
I'm very sorry to hear that. He was a valued member of this Forum as well as a giant in the hobby.

My condolences to his family.

Brad

I never knew that Trooper was Alan. This is sad news indeed, he was a premier sculptor. May he rest in peace, and I pray for him and for his family.

This is very sad news. My sincere condolences to his family.

Trooper's passing is a great loss for toy soldier/military miniatures industry and hobby.

Raymond.

Very sad to hear this. He was a valuable member of the forum and I enjoyed his posts and knowledge. My prayers to his family. RIP. -- Al

That's very sad and big shock - I only started talking to him about some new figures last week and spoke to him last on Tuesday...

Mike

Very sad news ...... never met Alan, but he was great source of toy soldier wit and wisdom. He will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace Trooper, the forum will not be same without you.

B.

Very sad to hear that. I only knew Trooper from the forum but he was a living link to the era of model soldiers I grew up with. A wealth of knowledge of figures and kits from that era. I have a few Wilson Edwards figures that he sculpted that are treasured. I believe he also sculpted Yeomanry Miniatures as well (?).

Rest in peace

Very sorry to read this sad news.
Alan was always very helpful, a "walking encyclopedia" of Toy Soldier and Military History.
I will miss the occasional email exchanges and his comments on this forum.
The classic Toy Soldier Hobby has lost one of its major players.
R.I.P. Trooper

Konrad

I'll miss Trooper. He started me off on my Yeomanry conversion which is still going on. God Bless.

Victor

Very sad news. Whenever I had questions about an unknown toy soldiers or period uniform detail, I would PM the Trooper and always get a very knowledgible response. will miss you Trooper.

Most terrible news. He was a premier member to this hobby and I have always enjoyed his brilliant work He also was very helpful in pm's not knowing me at all, but always quick to provide the right answer. Very sad loss, condolences to his friends and family.

Tom

What sad news indeed.

Alan and I exchanged a few e-mails and he was a helpful chap with a good source of knowledge and experience.

My thoughts go to his family and close friends at this most awful of times.

Malcolm. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back