American Napoleonics (1 Viewer)

Tex

Corporal
The only Napoleonic era US troops that I know of are from Wm Hocker and from Britains' old Americana series. I would like to see War of 1812 Soldiers or perhaps Barbary Wars Marines in the realistic, matte-finish style of K&C, but I do not know of any companies that currently have such a line.

In Andy's latest update ... he was not convinced that Americans in 1812 were colorful enough to be "interesting" to collectors.

Do we have any pics/color plates of the uniforms to share ... that may convince Andy otherwise.

OD

Here are US Regular Infantry with Baltimore Sea Fencibles marching behind:

Attachments

• Infantry and fencibles.jpg
    Infantry and fencibles.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 415
For some reason, I can only submit one photo per post.

Anyway, these are Maryland Militia, I think.

Attachments

• Maryland Miltia.jpg
    Maryland Miltia.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 256
Here are 1812 era US Marines. I think the older regulation Regular Army uniforms in use at the time were very similar in pattern to these marine uniforms.

Attachments

• MArines.jpg
    MArines.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 4,368
And here is US Light Dragoon:

Attachments

• US Light Dragoons.jpg
    US Light Dragoons.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 286
So, clearly, these uniforms are very colorful. The state and local militias also had their own, often wild, uniforms. Some units of the US army wore grey uniforms very similar to what West Point Cadets wear. The US Rifles wore green hunting-style jerkins trimmed in gold with shakos.

Attachments

• Riflemen.jpg
    Riflemen.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 414
So, clearly, these uniforms are very colorful. The state and local militias also had their own, often wild, uniforms. Some units of the US army wore grey uniforms very similar to what West Point Cadets wear. The US Rifles wore green hunting-style jerkins trimmed in gold with shakos.

My recollection is that the regular U.S.Army wore blue uniforms while militia units wore gray, as a general rule. I use to have a series of prints of the U.S. Army in various wars. The print for the War of 1812 had a regular army regiment at the Battle of Chipewa wearing gray uniforms. It was entitled, "Those are regulars, by God!" Which is suppose to be what the opposing British general exclaimed when the advancing Americans didn't break and run away, like the gray uniformed militia units had done in the past, when raked by canister shot.

Yeah, that sounds right. Winfield Scott was their General. I forgot about that; it has been a while since I got into the land war. I am more interested in the war at sea. The land war was largely embarrassing for the US.

I dont know why they wouldnt be popular. There good looking uniform and most of his market is probably Merica

Down here, people tend to say "Uhmuhrcuh".
But, I agree. To me, these uniforms are colorful enough and I can't imagine that the market would be as small as everyone seems to say.

cant be smaller than the current WW1 or Civil War(i do stress current)

The only Napoleonic era US troops that I know of are from Wm Hocker and from Britains' old Americana series. I would like to see War of 1812 Soldiers or perhaps Barbary Wars Marines in the realistic, matte-finish style of K&C, but I do not know of any companies that currently have such a line.

There's also a now deceased company called Mulberry Miniatures that made 1812 US troops. You can see a set list and a few pics on the archived version of this retailer's website, which is also now kaput: http://web.archive.org/web/20030810100521/http://timelesstroopers.com/mulberry.html#1812.

I have no idea how many of these Mulberry sets were made (probably not many), or how you could get ahold of them today.

Those actually look pretty good. It's too bad they went under.
I know Wm Hocker has nice 1812 troops aswell, but I prefer more realism.

There's also a now deceased company called Mulberry Miniatures that made 1812 US troops. You can see a set list and a few pics on the archived version of this retailer's website, which is also now kaput: http://web.archive.org/web/20030810100521/http://timelesstroopers.com/mulberry.html#1812.

I have no idea how many of these Mulberry sets were made (probably not many), or how you could get ahold of them today.

Mulberry Miniatures is still in business after his factory flooded out and a life threathening illness, put him out of commission for about 3 years. The owner is a friend of mine and still makes and paints figures. But , he is a one man show right now on ebay and is up against the wall ,trying to keep the sets flowing , in a timely manner. He does almost exclusively Nappy's at this time. Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back