Andy's Cartoon (1 Viewer)

Seems like a perfectly legitimate question that Andy never answered. Getting both the color and model of the car wrong is a far cry from rivet counting. Why not say oops I got it wrong or maybe he did it in grey for some reason and its done. No big deal or silliness necessary.

Combat,
Have you thought that alhough the set is marketed as "The Assissination of Heydrich", it could be used in any amount of alternative displays. That was my real point. Who really cares about colour or type of car. It's a good set in its own right.
For silliness, I could point you in the direction of several other threads on this forum. But surely "Adolf from Austria" is a complete wind up?

Pierre,

Both expressions:

Head Honcho - the chief, boss etc, and
Taking the mickey - Taking the p*ss, being totally unreasonable, or having a laugh at another's expense (eg 'You're taking the mickey out of me').

Funny how expressions that are taken for granted in one country, are never heard of in another.

Cheers
Simon

Yeah Simon,
We gave them a perfectly good language and they only went and fouled it up.:D:D

Combat,
Have you thought that alhough the set is marketed as "The Assissination of Heydrich", it could be used in any amount of alternative displays. That was my real point. Who really cares about colour or type of car. It's a good set in its own right.

I guess if you have no interest in history that is a line of thought. It's just an expensive toy - right? Who cares? It could be the assassination of Darth Vader or used as an ashtray. My point is why doesn't Andy just ante up a response and be done with it.

I guess if you have no interest in history that is a line of thought. It's just an expensive toy - right? Who cares? It could be the assassination of Darth Vader or used as an ashtray. My point is why doesn't Andy just ante up a response and be done with it.

Because sometimes one just has to live with question:eek:

Harry-

Who's the Head Honcho and what is the mickey?

Nothing behind my question, it is just that I do not understand that part of your post. Is it an expression? And what does it mean?

Pierre.

Pierre,
I also have never heard of the phrase "taking the mickey" so you are not alone. It appears to be yet another one of those UK slang terms to be deciphered:p.
This is a useful website to try when looking for the meaning of a UK phrase:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/index.html
With slang sometimes it's hard to believe British English and American English are even related.
Regards,

Pierre,
I also have never heard of the phrase "taking the mickey" so you are not alone. It appears to be yet another one of those UK slang terms to be deciphered:p.
This is a useful website to try when looking for the meaning of a UK phrase:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/index.html
With slang sometimes it's hard to believe British English and American English are even related.
Regards,

Shannon,
Great website. It explains why I used the expression "Taking the Mickey" on the forum rather than the original one it derives from. The translation copied from the site;
Tease or make fun of. although personally I would change that to read Gently tease or make fun of in this particular case. :)

Gimme strength.....:confused:
The point I was making was that the set can be whatever you want it to be. If you don't want to buy a set called "The Assasination of Heydrich" because you reckon it contains inaccuracies, then don't buy it - its your choice.
If on the other hand, it sparks an interest in depicting an area of conflict that you had no real previous interest in - then why is that a baaaad thing?

Me? I hope the pedantics eventually get a life. Meanwhile I'll get on with mine, go ahead with the display I have in mind - and ENJY having it on display.:cool:

Pierre,

Both expressions:

Head Honcho - the chief, boss etc, and
Taking the mickey - Taking the p*ss, being totally unreasonable, or having a laugh at another's expense (eg 'You're taking the mickey out of me').

Funny how expressions that are taken for granted in one country, are never heard of in another.

Cheers
Simon

Simon/Pierre
I distinctly remember being in a bar in Midland West Texas years ago. Had got into conversation with a couple of good ol' boys in the bar, when I happened to look at my watch then said,
"Well, you'll have to excuse me guys, I'm going to finish off this fag then head back to my hotel to eat some faggots."
Couldn't understand the strange looks and the fact that these guys were edging away from me, until I realised what I'd said.
Despite my frantic explanations that what I meant was "finish smoking my cigarrette and that I was having Italian meatballs for dinner", I reckoned it might be better if I found a different bar to waste my time in in future.
And that my friends is an absolutely TRUE STORY..!!
Its similar to the lady in the grocery store I used to shop in who, curiosity eventually getting the better of her, asked me,
"Where d'yaa'll come from? What yaa'll doing here in Midland?" and in my best Eastern European accent, I responded,
"Hi haam zorry Madam...I cann-nnot te-llll you wye hi haam here, but hi com from russ-ssia."
Thought she was going to call the cops.

Just goes to show that slang, sense of humour, different accents, etc. can get you into all sorts of trouble if you're not careful.

Oh my God, how funny is this cartoon!!!!!I was flipping though some "old school" threads and found this masterpiece!!! that cartoon is about as accurate as you can get, Andy ol' boy if you got a copy of that one I'd love to have one...Sammy

Oh my God, how funny is this cartoon!!!!!I was flipping though some "old school" threads and found this masterpiece!!! that cartoon is about as accurate as you can get, Andy ol' boy if you got a copy of that one I'd love to have one...Sammy

That's hilarious Sammy. How much did Andy pay you to trot this out? :D

Terry

Sammy,

I could be mistaken but I think two years ago in Chicago, Andy gave out copies to people at the K & C dinner. I meant to get it framed but never got around to it.

Sammy,

I could be mistaken but I think two years ago in Chicago, Andy gave out copies to people at the K & C dinner. I meant to get it framed but never got around to it.

it was at k&c dinner 2007 in chicago .
richard

Is anyone here who realised that the WSS104SL set is also historical incorrect?
Heydrich never used a green "Horch" as staff car.
From 1941 to 27th May 1942 he used a black Mercedes 320 B (1938).
This car can still be seen in a German museum.....

May be Mr. Neilson should spend more time in recherche than in painting cartoons.

This cartoon only proves and reminds us that K &C has done a lot of mistakes in recherche in the past and Mr. Neilson does not like critic (see also the "Gestapo car incident" and "Rammjäger" discussion).

And what is the reaction here in the forum: they even want to buy the cartoon....unbelievable!
Never saw so many "uncritical" disciples.

It would seem there is always one in every crowd!:D

Personally I think it was nice of Andy to take time out to draw this piece

and give a little back to some of us!:D

Though of course I never have anything negitive to say........about anything.

:D:)

My wife has one of them fancy fangdangled computers at her work, so I'll see if she can print me up a large version of it...Sammy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back