Andy's Talk at 2008 Chicago Show (1 Viewer)

Steven Chong

First Sergeant
Before I summarize Andy's talk, I want to thank Peter and Shannon Reuss of Treefrog, Mike and Myszka Hall of Sierra Toy Soldier Company, Tim Tyler of Troops of Time, and Bill Sager of Sager's Toy Soldiers for sponsoring the dinner at the Chicago Show. The dinner is not a forum event but is put on jointly by Sierra, Treefrog, Troops of Time and Sager's Toy Soldiers specifically for their customers as a thank you for their business and a chance for those collectors to meet and chat with Andy and the King & Country team. Andy answered questions for about 0.5 hours.

Andy started by mentioning that this has been a strange but great year. Despite the global financial problems, K&C has not seen a downturn in its business.

A. Will American Revolutionary War continue? Yes, this is not the strongest line so K&C will be concentrating on other lines.

B. GI (US) artillery? Yes, Andy mentioned he picked up a plastic model of a 105 mm gun.

C. NAP or ACW Horse artillery? Horse artillery usually had 6 horses. If you add 3 outriders, limber, and crew, this set would be very large and very expensive so very few collectors could afford it.

D. Camels in Crusader line? Yes, will be doing camels. K&C is St. Peterburg's HK dealer and the Russian made camel sets have given them a lot of ideas.

E. Book? Andy wanted to do a book about important moments in K&C history but it is very hard to write several hundred pages ... thinking of hiring a professional writer ... little time to this since very busy doing products.

F. Some early K&C figures did not have "K&C" stamped on the bottom because they simply did not think of it.

G. Mark each figure with set number? No.

H. Now that Figarti has done a K-5 railway gun, will K&C do a train? Any train would require an engine and it would be very large and expensive. Figarti has different financial priorities and it is just shock and awe while K&C tries to produce products every month. Products are aimed at average collectors with average incomes. K&C wants to produce 500 to 1000 of a set and asks itself whether it will sell. Gordon's diorama with the train engine was its attempt to do some shock and awe and attract collectors to its regular products. Maybe a smaller train in the desert like the one in Lawrence of Arabia.

I. Britains and 1st Legion have done collector's or museum lines, will K&C? K&C already does it with Strictly Limited products with slightly higher quality and slightly higher cost.

J. Changes in China and affect on K&C? Due to rapid urbanization and increase in infrastructure, the cost of everything in China has gone up about 50%. Labor costs up 35% in last 12 to 18 months. Transportation and raw material costs up. In addition, where factories use to operate 7 days a week with day and night shifts, with some workers working 9 - 10 days straight, changes in labor laws now require breaks after 6 days. Day and night shifts have been banned since workers were doing double shifts and working 16 hours straight. This has lead to a labor shortage with a drastic decrease in the volume of products that can be produced. This has affected all companies operating in China. With limited production, K&C torn between fulfilling back orders or releasing new products. Decided to concentrate on new products. By end of March, 2009, K&C hopes back orders will be ironed out. Everyone fighting for factory capacity.

K. Favorite range and figure? It changes, depending on mood ... sometimes it is something that just has been produced since a lot of time and effort was spent. At this moment (can change tomorrow):

BOB: Andy thinks this line will be the most collectible in the future since it has been a very successful line.

FOB: Through friendship with French collector Thierry and Frederic of Toy Soldier Paris, Andy has learned a lot about France. Uncle was captured at Dunkirk so always fascinated by Dunkirk and Fall of France.

SOHK: Developed to attract female collections and tourists. Oldest, longest running series with most releases. Few collectors in US but very big in HK.

Asking for favorite figure is like asking for favorite child. All the figures are special.

L. Favorite theme that is not commercal? Bonnie Prince Charlie and Battle of Culloden and ECW.

M. Favorite done by others? John Jenkin's FIW. Of all the companies in last 5 years, John Jenkins did it right. Picked unique subject and ran with it. I wish I did it.

N. Russian Front? In 2005, did Fall of Berlin for 60th anniversary. Line did OK but not what they thought it would do. Doesn't work for K&C. With limited capacity, releases need to be almost guaranteed successes so concentrate on those themes.

O. Why isn't Pacific Theater popular? Do not know. Newer IWJ sold but not enough to encourage doing more. Maybe Japanese uniform is dull? Experience says return is bad. If he knew why, he would fix it.

P. WWII and ACW personalities? Will have Roosevelt. Personalities (without copyrights) sell. Two most popular figures in ACW is Lee and Stuart. Will eventually do Grant, Lincoln and Custer. No more ACW this year, lot next year.

Q. Future vehicle releases? No info on vehicles. With positive comments on M26 ARV at show, will do Dragon wagon with trailer but this vehicle will be 27" long! Will be doing more German, US and British tanks. No Japanese. Russian? Maybe. Favorite vehicle is US jeep and wants to own real one one day.

:)

I hope we see a 155mm howitzer not a 105mm which Forces of Valor has already done a superb job rendering, albeit at a smaller scale.

Excellent summary by Steven (as usual).

Andy couldn't have been more complimentary about John Jenkins: he had his own ideas and just didn't follow the thread. Also believes that John is really talented.

On Pacific, he's just stumped why he didn't do well. A lot of people offered various reasons but the reality is that sales weren't there.

An AK figure was given out to attendees as well as a packet of several of Andy' drawings.

E. Book? Andy wanted to do a book about important moments in K&C history but it is very hard to write several hundred pages ... thinking of hiring a professional writer ... little time to this since very busy doing products.

I like the idea of a book

It's always nice to get feedback from a company. There are a couple of statements that I don't agree with though.

Excellent summary by Steven (as usual).

Andy couldn't have been more complimentary about John Jenkins: he had his own ideas and just didn't follow the thread. Also believes that John is really talented.

On Pacific, he's just stumped why he didn't do well. A lot of people offered various reasons but the reality is that sales weren't there.
An AK figure was given out to attendees as well as a packet of several of Andy' drawings.

With the anticipated release of Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks Pacific War HBO miniseries next year, I wonder how K&C and other manufacturers will approach the temptation to produce some complimentary figures despite historically poor sales in this area. Did this come up during the talk last night?

MD

MD,

I don't think so. However, Flags of our Fathers was as an example of Americans' lack of interest in the Pacific War. Great movie Andy said but, unfortunately, it didn't do well at the box office.

MD,

I don't think so. However, Flags of our Fathers was as an example of Americans' lack of interest in the Pacific War. Great movie Andy said but, unfortunately, it didn't do well at the box office.

Letters from Iwo Jima, was a much better movie.......Michael

Any news about the Ancient Egypt range. That is quite a good range and has not had any recent additions

Well, as usual, still no word on Italians or early german army! As far as the pacific theatre, goes, actually, much of the equipment and uniforms in that that theatre are boring :(

I don't know, I think the USMC uniforms are pretty sharp looking. Those more recent K&C sets are really great looking, they just don't have a lot of supporting material to utilize if you are looking for a massive display. Images from the Pacific theater to me have always been far more intriguing and thought provoking than ETO images. Part of it for me, may be the remoteness and austerity of the contested real estate. Very thought provoking stuff.

MD

Steven,
Thank you for the excellent report! It was very clear. What was the figure for the dinner?

The figure is a fgure from the Afrika Korps. He is standing at attention in a long brown overcoat. A very nice figure. Unfortunately I do not have a camera that I can download pictures with (A camera is on my list). Hopefully, someone will post a picture soon.

The figure is a fgure from the Afrika Korps. He is standing at attention in a long brown overcoat. A very nice figure. Unfortunately I do not have a camera that I can download pictures with (A camera is on my list). Hopefully, someone will post a picture soon.

Thanks I checked some other threads and saw it.

Thanks very much for the report Steven,the trouble you went to is much appreciated by those of us who couldn't make it...but one year i will!.:)

Rob

Thanks for all the Help Steven... Cant wait to hear what else you have to report for us...

Before I summarize Andy's talk, I want to thank Peter and Shannon Reuss of Treefrog, Mike and Myszka Hall of Sierra Toy Soldier Company, Tim Tyler of Troops of Time, and Bill Sager of Sager's Toy Soldiers for sponsoring the dinner at the Chicago Show. The dinner is not a forum event but is put on jointly by Sierra, Treefrog, Troops of Time and Sager's Toy Soldiers specifically for their customers as a thank you for their business and a chance for those collectors to meet and chat with Andy and the King & Country team. Andy answered questions for about 0.5 hours.

Andy started by mentioning that this has been a strange but great year. Despite the global financial problems, K&C has not seen a downturn in its business.

A. Will American Revolutionary War continue? Yes, this is not the strongest line so K&C will be concentrating on other lines.

B. GI (US) artillery? Yes, Andy mentioned he picked up a plastic model of a 105 mm gun.

C. NAP or ACW Horse artillery? Horse artillery usually had 6 horses. If you add 3 outriders, limber, and crew, this set would be very large and very expensive so very few collectors could afford it.

D. Camels in Crusader line? Yes, will be doing camels. K&C is St. Peterburg's HK dealer and the Russian made camel sets have given them a lot of ideas.

F. Some early K&C figures did not have "K&C" stamped on the bottom because they simply did not think of it.

G. Mark each figure with set number? No.

H. Now that Figarti has done a K-5 railway gun, will K&C do a train? Any train would require an engine and it would be very large and expensive. Figarti has different financial priorities and it is just shock and awe while K&C tries to produce products every month. Products are aimed at average collectors with average incomes. K&C wants to produce 500 to 1000 of a set and asks itself whether it will sell. Gordon's diorama with the train engine was its attempt to do some shock and awe and attract collectors to its regular products. Maybe a smaller train in the desert like the one in Lawrence of Arabia.

I. Britains and 1st Legion have done collector's or museum lines, will K&C? K&C already does it with Strictly Limited products with slightly higher quality and slightly higher cost.

J. Changes in China and affect on K&C? Due to rapid urbanization and increase in infrastructure, the cost of everything in China has gone up about 50%. Labor costs up 35% in last 12 to 18 months. Transportation and raw material costs up. In addition, where factories use to operate 7 days a week with day and night shifts, with some workers working 9 - 10 days straight, changes in labor laws now require breaks after 6 days. Day and night shifts have been banned since workers were doing double shifts and working 16 hours straight. This has lead to a labor shortage with a drastic decrease in the volume of products that can be produced. This has affected all companies operating in China. With limited production, K&C torn between fulfilling back orders or releasing new products. Decided to concentrate on new products. By end of March, 2009, K&C hopes back orders will be ironed out. Everyone fighting for factory capacity.

K. Favorite range and figure? It changes, depending on mood ... sometimes it is something that just has been produced since a lot of time and effort was spent. At this moment (can change tomorrow):

BOB: Andy thinks this line will be the most collectible in the future since it has been a very successful line.

FOB: Through friendship with French collector Thierry and Frederic of Toy Soldier Paris, Andy has learned a lot about France. Uncle was captured at Dunkirk so always fascinated by Dunkirk and Fall of France.

SOHK: Developed to attract female collections and tourists. Oldest, longest running series with most releases. Few collectors in US but very big in HK.

Asking for favorite figure is like asking for favorite child. All the figures are special.

L. Favorite theme that is not commercal? Bonnie Prince Charlie and Battle of Culloden and ECW.

M. Favorite done by others? John Jenkin's FIW. Of all the companies in last 5 years, John Jenkins did it right. Picked unique subject and ran with it. I wish I did it.

N. Russian Front? In 2005, did Fall of Berlin for 60th anniversary. Line did OK but not what they thought it would do. Doesn't work for K&C. With limited capacity, releases need to be almost guaranteed successes so concentrate on those themes.

O. Why isn't Pacific Theater popular? Do not know. Newer IWJ sold but not enough to encourage doing more. Maybe Japanese uniform is dull? Experience says return is bad. If he knew why, he would fix it.

P. WWII and ACW personalities? Will have Roosevelt. Personalities (without copyrights) sell. Two most popular figures in ACW is Lee and Stuart. Will eventually do Grant, Lincoln and Custer. No more ACW this year, lot next year.

Q. Future vehicle releases? No info on vehicles. With positive comments on M26 ARV at show, will do Dragon wagon with trailer but this vehicle will be 27" long! Will be doing more German, US and British tanks. No Japanese. Russian? Maybe. Favorite vehicle is US jeep and wants to own real one one day.

:)

Great news on the 105mm and also more German,Brit and US Tanks.:)

Very true Rob... Excellent news about more German tanks cant wait for them to bring out a Tiger I light grey tank...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back