Answers & Replies (2 Viewers)

This is exactly what I was thinking, maybe the Fighting Tigers from Louisiana, but other than that it was mainly a motley crew, especially after 1863...

Actually, Lee's army of 1863 was dapper compared to the motley crew (or is it crue, awesome hair band) that invaded the north in 1862, their uniforms were practically falling off of them during that campaign. And the whole butternut thing is largely a myth too; The Army of Northern Virginia mostly wore grey uniforms of various shades, the butternut was worn mostly in the western theater.

And the Louisiana Tigers under the command of Hays (5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th LA) had pretty much abandoned their Zouave uniforms at Gettysburg and most wore standard Confederate grey during that campaign.'

And they did the great state of Louisiana proud with their fighting at Gettsyburg on the first day and especialy on the second day, almost taking the union batteries on East Cemetery Hill.

So there you go; not a bad summary from a blue belly...........

Actually, Lee's army of 1863 was dapper compared to the motley crew (or is it crue, awesome hair band) that invaded the north in 1862, their uniforms were practically falling off of them during that campaign. And the whole butternut thing is largely a myth too; The Army of Northern Virginia mostly wore grey uniforms of various shades, the butternut was worn mostly in the western theater.

And the Louisiana Tigers under the command of Hays (5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th LA) had pretty much abandoned their Zouave uniforms at Gettysburg and most wore standard Confederate grey during that campaign.'

And they did the great state of Louisiana proud with their fighting at Gettsyburg on the first day and especialy on the second day, almost taking the union batteries on East Cemetery Hill.

So there you go; not a bad summary from a blue belly...........

I was meaning post 1863, (Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, etc.), but I have to give props to my blue belly associate from the Republic of MA, not a bad recap at all!

Guys, please refrain from re-fighting any wars on these boards. The posts which were deleted were deemed unnecessarily provocative and/or political in nature. Some posts which were directly responsive to the deleted posts were also deleted.

Please keep your hats on your heads and try to relax.

Thank you.

D

The best uniforms I've ever seen on Union dudes is the early Fredricksburg look. The long blue/grey coats with kepi. Add Irish Bde clover for flavor. Winter seems to do well in WW2..maybe this would too.

I agree !

My hope is Andy/K&C will explore doing WINTER Civil War figures - now that something not many people have done ! ;)

Fredericksburg would be a cool mini-range that I think would be very successful.

Look at the success that John Jenkins has had with his Snowshoes Range - I think Winter Civil War Troops would do even better. :D

Ron

I was meaning post 1863, (Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, etc.), but I have to give props to my blue belly associate from the Republic of MA, not a bad recap at all!

True, post 1863, the uniforms were no bargain then either. But what they lacked in fashion, they more than made up for in fighting spirit.

Ditto for the Confederates in the western theater, they put up quite a struggle in those battles in 1864 and 1865 as well.

Thanks for the kind words as well, I appreciate it..........

A Fredericksburg theme would be a great idea. And it would be the perfect time to roll out some Confederate horse artillery, under the direction of Pelham.

Guys, please refrain from re-fighting any wars on these boards. The posts which were deleted were deemed unnecessarily provocative and/or political in nature. Some posts which were directly responsive to the deleted posts were also deleted.

Please keep your hats on your heads and try to relax.

Thank you.

D

Napoleon Must Abdicate!:mad::eek::mad::mad::rolleyes:;):D

Only Kidding!:D

A Fredericksburg theme would be a great idea. And it would be the perfect time to roll out some Confederate horse artillery, under the direction of Pelham.

That would be great. Hes one of my favorites. My worry with the winter clothing is that some collectors may be put off by the inability to use the figures to portray various battles. But it wouldnt matter to me, Ill get whatever comes out.

I agree !

My hope is Andy/K&C will explore doing WINTER Civil War figures - now that something not many people have done ! ;)

Fredericksburg would be a cool mini-range that I think would be very successful.

Look at the success that John Jenkins has had with his Snowshoes Range - I think Winter Civil War Troops would do even better. :D

Ron

I agree about Fredericksburg, and how about a stone wall replica to go with any figures?

Andy,
Thanks for the compliment on my winter dios. I enjoy putting scenes together using your figures and vehicles. They are top notch.
Duke/wwIIbuff

My worry with the winter clothing is that some collectors may be put off by the inability to use the figures to portray various battles. .

Good question. How often did the Union fight in this kit?

But speaking as a ACW rookie, I think a Fredricksburg display with an advancing Union line like that would be a jaw dropping exhibit to people who visit your home (whom most likely will also be ACW rookies:D)

That would be great. Hes one of my favorites. My worry with the winter clothing is that some collectors may be put off by the inability to use the figures to portray various battles. But it wouldnt matter to me, Ill get whatever comes out.

Harris

Having a Winter ACW range would be no different than the WWII guys with their Battle of Bulge Range - it seems to be doing well have both Spring/Summer figures - then Winter - why not do the same for ACW ??

I think Winter ACW Troops would be a big WINNER ! :D

Ron

Harris

Having a Winter ACW range would be no different than the WWII guys with their Battle of Bulge Range - it seems to be doing well have both Spring/Summer figures - then Winter - why not do the same for ACW ??

I think Winter ACW Troops would be a big WINNER ! :D

Ron

Well when you put it like that Ron its a tough argument to beat. But like I said: if its got a blue or gray coat, I want it.

Good question. How often did the Union fight in this kit?:D)

There were two major battles where Union troops wore their winter kit; Fredericksburg in the east and Murfreesboro in the west (oh sorry, Stones River to you Rebs.............lol).

There were probably others too, but these too are the mos famous......

There were two major battles where Union troops wore their winter kit; Fredericksburg in the east and Murfreesboro in the west (oh sorry, Stones River to you Rebs.............lol).

You sure? The South went by towns, the North went by bodies of water. South: Sharpsburg North: Antietam South:Manassas North: Bull Run

Those are the two important ones. As a general rule, 19th century (and earlier) armies did not campaign in the winter for the obvious reasons.

Those are the two important ones. As a general rule, 19th century (and earlier) armies did not campaign in the winter for the obvious reasons.

Yeah, but we're talkin' Virginia here. How bad can it be?:p

i think you all are missing one important part of the war, union cavalry headed by george armstrong custer. i am hoping to see some by christmas

Not sure a winter campaign series would be practical. As pointed out, there are only the 2 big campaigns, Fredricksburg and Murfreesboro (sorry, Stone's River to you Northerners:D). I would agree that the uniforms for winter battle would be unusual and different. I know Britains did a release of "Clear The Way" years ago that was quite well done but it was only the 2 sets and only the northern side. Practicality would hinge on getting buyers to start a new series (as with WW2 winter campaigns) that cannot be mixed with figures from the far more common spring-summer-fall battle scenarios that the collectors already possess. That said, it would be an interesting subject but not one I would likely buy as I made a decision long ago not to do snow or sand as a collector. -- lancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back