Any of you guys Alamo collectors (1 Viewer)

Hey Reb-

I saw some of the sets for sale there in GBurg yesterday- as I made my way back around the tables, they were gone. Though they seem to have a niche following, they were voraciously devoured by their fans.

To put it into perspective- there weren't any KC Egyptian, Roman or Barbarian or Special Forces sets there at all. So even with a small niche following, this line seemed to be somewhat more popular than their other figures.

People at KINGS X are great. I'm ashamed to say that as Texan I don't have this range:eek:, just too many other ranges going at the moment.

HEY !!!!! EVIL BLASPHEMER !!! Please keep posting your non WWII threads. :D

I make it a point to read nearly all the threads here (although the movies and historical discussion don't interest me much)

My favs are the dio's, painting section, conversions etc... and also people collection. I don't collect anything other than Britains but it doesn't stop be from looking and appreciating other people collections and the hard work that is put into them. I generally try to comment on most threads at least once or twice.

So to UK Reb I say go for it. I know I for one will be watching your thread :)

Scott

Hey UKReb - I collect "Remember the Alamo" as should anyone of Texas or Mexican desent. I have posted about this line and CUSTER. I think you missed some of the chatter during your visit to the States last year. This line is great and I was told that Andy would like to do a figure for every defender known to have been at the Alamo. Thats 180 to 220+ depending on different sources. Do you have any great info on this conflict? Your Civil War knowledge is impressive. I know three things that most every else does. First, and don't tell Capital Ron, but Santa Anna loved to be called the Napolean of the West and he purportedly dressed his army in Imported French Uniforms. I wonder what Napolean was doing in the 1830's that he would agree to send uniforms to Mexico? The second, is that Crockett did not die in the battle, he was captured and killed by order of Santa Anna. Third, and I think Andy is a believer in this, is that the Alamo fell so quickly that about 50 defenders made a break and would have escaped if it had not been for the mounted Lancers in Santa Anna's army. These last two points are made in a letter written by a Mexican Officer, although some claim that parts of the letter are fake or untrue. The History Channel ran a story on his last month, it is worth watching. If any of you make it to San Antonio be sure to go to Mass at the Catholic Church where the burned remains of the defenders were dug up and placed in a crypt. O and go to KingsX!

Hi Guys,

A big thank you to those who like this series and have posted on it. It’s one of our favourites too… of course we are biased more than a bit. What with having Kings X and being a native of San Antonio myself. The Alamo looms large in our collective imaginations.

Allow me to praise and recommend a superb novel about the events leading up to and including the fall of the Alamo… Gates of the Alamo by Stephen Harrigan. It’s available as a Penguin paperback and is one of the great historical Texas novels (alongside Lonesome Dove). Grab it and read it… it was a great source of inspiration when Andy was working on this new Alamo series.

As a brief aside, the large diorama Gordon built which is one of the main features of Kings X is actually 6 feet by 4 feet in size. It was constructed in two halves (4x3) in Hong Kong then shipped over for assembly and final touches in San Antonio. At 24 square feet it’s still the single biggest diorama Gordon has built and boasts some incredible detail and imagery.

Hope this helps and thanks again for all your kind comments.

First, and don't tell Capital Ron, but Santa Anna loved to be called the Napolean of the West and he purportedly dressed his army in Imported French Uniforms.

I was aware of that ! ;)

I really do love this period of US History - the stories and figures of the time are interesting. Also, this would be the starter for the US-Mexican War which was very political and great historic significance on and off the battlefield. As UK Reb will tell this War was the training ground for all the Senior Officers during the Civil War (or the War of Northern Aggression :) )

But, as you know there can only be one....

NAPOLEON !

:D :D :D :D

Umh, Since he died in 1821 probably decomposing. :D;) Maybe the History Chanel did a peice on it during one of their "ghosthunter" shows:D:eek:!

I collected Alamo; I have a bunch of the old gloss ones.

Umh, Since he died in 1821 probably decomposing. :D;) Maybe the History Chanel did a peice on it during one of their "ghosthunter" shows:D:eek:!

Viva Napolean!!! He will never die!!! I heard it from CapitolRon, so you know it is true.

Hey guys

When I posted the OP I gotta admit I didn't expect to get 30 odd replies and nearly 500 hits for a 19th century query. I stand humbly corrected and must add another thank you to all you guys who have added comments since my last thankyou post. There's been some really spot-on info re the subject of the Alamo and the K&C figures posted on this thread and thanks Alex for the link to your photos, I had missed them first time around.

Boyer I have no special knowledge of the Alamo although as per my interest in the ACW I am fascinated in everything Americana and as Ron mentioned the Alamo/Mexican War/Manifest Destiny all link into a natural progression toward the war between the States even down to Sam Houston trying to persuade against secession and making a prophetic statement that doing so will destroy the South.

I sure would like to visit Texas and a lot more of your civil war battlefields than I already have and there I believe lies some of the source of the fascination -distance- and therefore can appreciate the guys on this forum who are WW and Napoleonic collectors/buffs who face that same distance factor, because I can jump on the train through the Channel Tunnel and be on Omaha beach in an hour or so, another hours drive will get me to Vimy Ridge and another hour and I am on the battlefield of Waterloo. I mention that because that's exactly what I did the beginning of this year as I have done at least a dozen times before simply because it's easy to do. Not so for some of you guys as vice versa for me travelling to and across the States.

Similar for Boyer and others living in Texas or Chris having Gettysburg almost in his back-garden I am currently living in Plymouth on the Devon coast and it is chock full of memorabilia of the Americans who left from the port on D-Day with even the concrete ramps/buildings they built still being used by our local fishermen. Twenty minutes along the coast is Slapton Sands where German E-boats attacked the American forces who were training in heavily laden landing craft to land on beaches similar to those in Normandy, hundreds of American soldiers/rangers were killed/drowned but it was hushed up for years. But now on the beach is a fine memorial in the shape of a Sherman retrieved from the sea and a US/UK monument with the Stars and Stripes proudly flying in memory to all those young guys who never fired a shot in anger.
Sorry guys meandering a bit here but if it's all on your doorstep the fascination eventually gets a little blunted, but sharing info on the forum I find sharpens it up again.
Anyway thanks again I have really enjoyed this thread.
Reb.

See now, I see a French Napoleonic and I think Alamo Mexican, not the ones with the fuzzy hat however.

Hey Reb thanks for your post.I really want to get down to Slapton sands one of these days to check out that memorial.We are lucky in this country that places like the Somme,Ypres,Vimy,Normandy are really not that far away.Even Arnhem and Bastogne are within reach.For any collectors who have yet to visit a battlefield i can't recommend it enough.Until you've taken in a sunlit Polygon wood at dawn,felt the wind chill your skin in Sanctuary wood or Stood on a windswept Passchendaele ridge and wondered how,you just can't imagine the atmosphere of these places.Standing on Omaha beach last year with the tide out i turn and look around me.How any of those young men made it off that beach is a miracle,if you have the inclination to go to these places i urge you to do it.You will keep the memory forever.

Rob

Now the Alamo figures would look just great next to the upcomming Tiger tank from K and C. Juts kidding the Alamo stuff is great. I think that set of the Death of Jim Bowie is really good. I suspect and I may be wrong but at the big dio of the Alamo that is up in the K and C shop in Texas there are some Conte Mexicans lurking to make up the numbers. Some one did post some great pictures of the stor dio about a year ago. I would try and check that one out.
Regards
Damian

Thanks to boots51 who selected this set for his selection of the month over at CTSC and comments made as to the quality of the figures an set made by UKReb on K & C Alamo Series who started this thread and knowing a pictures is worth a thousand words which reflects Damian's comments on this set and being a man of few words I couldn't pass on posting Fred's photo.....The Lt.

1001640.jpg

That really does look a fantastic set,even if you don't collect the whole series this could make a great little scene just on its own.I like the angle of the Hat on the guy who has just taken a bullet.

Rob

That really does look a fantastic set,even if you don't collect the whole series this could make a great little scene just on its own.I like the angle of the Hat on the guy who has just taken a bullet.

Rob

Dont you blame me if I see you in June with a couple of Alamo boxes in your carrier bag.

Sure is addictive Rob aint it just:D:D:D

Reb

Dont you blame me if I see you in June with a couple of Alamo boxes in your carrier bag.

Sure is addictive Rob aint it just:D:D:D

Reb

:D:D

Right i'd better find someone else to blame!.Tony Neville!!Its all Tony Nevilles fault!!!;)

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back