Are these new? (1 Viewer)

Yeah even though they are for Britains AWI line they will fit perfectly with my FIW figures.^&grinHope there are more.Does anybody know if these are 1/32 or 1/30 ?
Mark

Great link Mark. I am familar with Alan's work from figure modelling magazines. Hard to pick a favourite but the two Scots in green tartan are up at the top and also the sitting pirate. I am guessing you like the Indians {sm4}
Well worth a look if anybody else sees the link.
Brett

Thanks for the kind comments people .....:)

Alan,
That is a great website. Fantastic work.
I do a bit of scratch built soldier sculpting, casting and painting for myself and was fascinated by your videos.
I have learnt more through watching your twenty minute videos on sculpting the face than I would have in hours of trial and error sculpting at home. I'm watching your videos from work (hope the boss isn't watching) and I can't wait to get home to have a crack at your techniques.
I use superfine Milliput for my sculpting but I find it does tend to crumble a bit with very fine work and I have lost lots of noses and ears through this crumbling problem. What is it you use? It looks like quite a hard material.
Regards
Paul

Alan,
That is a great website. Fantastic work.
I do a bit of scratch built soldier sculpting, casting and painting for myself and was fascinated by your videos.
I have learnt more through watching your twenty minute videos on sculpting the face than I would have in hours of trial and error sculpting at home. I'm watching your videos from work (hope the boss isn't watching) and I can't wait to get home to have a crack at your techniques.
I use superfine Milliput for my sculpting but I find it does tend to crumble a bit with very fine work and I have lost lots of noses and ears through this crumbling problem. What is it you use? It looks like quite a hard material.
Regards
Paul

Paul, thanks, I'm glad you like the website :)

I use a mix of materials , for basic stuff Magic sculpt , I find its finer to use than milliput , and use a lamp to set it off quicker , so it's rock hard when I sculpt .....this means I don't have to worry about putting a finger on something I have spent some time in sculpting , which if the putty was worked when wet could soon be completely ruined by an injudicious finger placed in the wrong place .
I always try and look at the actual putty inside the box before buying putty, because there do seem to be some batches of Magicsculpt that are a bit more "chalky" ....or have a touch more fillers earth than other batches , these batches are the ones that tend to crumble ( like Milliput) or not mix so well .i look for the mixes that feel "wetter"or "softer', as these are the ones that mix well and set hard consistently .

For finer stuff or details which ,as these tend to be in smaller sections , i do tend to work when its not set , I mix in a small amout of procreate putty, which is quite expensive ( comparatively) but a 10% mixed in with the magicsculpt gives it that slight touch of elasticity that allows a more controlled detail to be modeled.
When adding sections of clothing or blending putty onto a section that's already set, I use a brush with hand cream to feather in the joint ....
I have also used A&B putty , but find that when that is set its very hard to carve properly, so you have to get it right "first time" :).
The whole trick, is to get on with the work ...if you are not 100% happy ...fix it the next day ...but it's easier to get something done , even if you don't feel like it ,than put it off , that way things never get done :)
Having so much to do, I find it easier, because if I'm not really in the mood or not feeling as concentrated as i should be , I can work on bulky stuff, or blocking out the mass of a figure ...the refining, or detailing I leave for days that I'm feeling concentrated or have nothing else crying for attention ...

I Hope that helps ....

Alan

Paul, thanks, I'm glad you like the website :)

I use a mix of materials , for basic stuff Magic sculpt , I find its finer to use than milliput , and use a lamp to set it off quicker , so it's rock hard when I sculpt .....this means I don't have to worry about putting a finger on something I have spent some time in sculpting , which if the putty was worked when wet could soon be completely ruined by an injudicious finger placed in the wrong place .
I always try and look at the actual putty inside the box before buying putty, because there do seem to be some batches of Magicsculpt that are a bit more "chalky" ....or have a touch more fillers earth than other batches , these batches are the ones that tend to crumble ( like Milliput) or not mix so well .i look for the mixes that feel "wetter"or "softer', as these are the ones that mix well and set hard consistently .

For finer stuff or details which ,as these tend to be in smaller sections , i do tend to work when its not set , I mix in a small amout of procreate putty, which is quite expensive ( comparatively) but a 10% mixed in with the magicsculpt gives it that slight touch of elasticity that allows a more controlled detail to be modeled.
When adding sections of clothing or blending putty onto a section that's already set, I use a brush with hand cream to feather in the joint ....
I have also used A&B putty , but find that when that is set its very hard to carve properly, so you have to get it right "first time" :).
The whole trick, is to get on with the work ...if you are not 100% happy ...fix it the next day ...but it's easier to get something done , even if you don't feel like it ,than put it off , that way things never get done :)
Having so much to do, I find it easier, because if I'm not really in the mood or not feeling as concentrated as i should be , I can work on bulky stuff, or blocking out the mass of a figure ...the refining, or detailing I leave for days that I'm feeling concentrated or have nothing else crying for attention ...

I Hope that helps ....

Alan

Alan,
Thanks for the information and for the tips regarding the types of putty. It is very much appreciated.
I can empathise regarding the feeling of sometimes not being focused for the finer details of a model.
I have ruined many figures trying to force myself to work on some fine detail when I'm just not in the right frame of mind.
That's a good tip to move onto bulky stuff in that situation. I'll use that.
Thanks again.:)
Paul

Paul, I'm glad it made sense to you , or at least you got the sense of what I wrote .

I have just re-read my post to remember what I wrote, and it seems a little disjointed and badly phrased, a downfall of posting something from the IPhone ........and not proof reading it before hitting post !:rolleyes2:

incredible- I am reading Last of the Mohicans and this vignette was all i could think of whilst traversing the the story at the waterfall. Well Done! and thanks- First Nations subjects are my Fave! Blackdog has a bust that is quite magua looking, from the LOTM movie with Daniel Day Lewis.

Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back