Armies of Middle-Earth (2 Viewers)

But how do I post a photo on the forum?:confused:

I have never used it but I believe you can load and post a photo via the "Attached Files - Manage Attachments" option but you will need to resize the pics to within the kb limits. Personally I have found the Imageshack web site far more convenient.

When you have saved the images you want to Imageshack. All you have to do is left click the i button against the image you want to post.

Then copy (control and c key on your keyboard) and paste (control and v key on your keyboard) to where in your post you want the picture. Then press the submit reply button as per usual for a post.

I didn't know that about Australia & it surprized me. They are so common here. But I think you see less true underground cellars being built now. At most, a only partially underground 'split level'. The attics are usually not used much, due to heat & cold. Bad storage space for plastic figures too. A true underground cellar can be nice, especially as it stays relatively cool in the summer. But can be cold in winters, often it is too expensive to heat that floor when it is only used a few hours. The cellars too really vary. Some are finished & carpeted, others are like cinderblock walls & dirt floors. The last few years have been very wet in my area & the creek I live near has flooded three times. Each time it has been called a '50 year flood'. I still don't understand their math.:D So standing water (or actual running steams!) are quite common in cellars. I lost a ton of things & some collections to mold & mildew. Fortunately not the soldiers though!

I guess you guys had a traditional need for basements for winter storage and later for home heating units. Australia's climate is mild compared to most parts of the US so I suspect we didn't have a great need for a large heating system.

Most houses in Australia are made of concrete or clay bricks on a concrete slab with concrete or clay tile roofs. And where the ground is not level they use the cut and fill method. However specific split level designs for sloping blocks are becoming more in fashion these days as they allow for increased living or storage room, but as you say these aren't true basements.

I feel most urban areas will have worsening problems with run off water because of the increased number of hard surfaces such as dwellings and paved roads as cities grow.

My quest for a mounted Norman knight led me to these figures. I had seen them at Big Lots and recently picked up some of the last at our local BL. I got three of the Merry in Rohan Armor on a pony to convert. I started pulling one of them apart last night. They literally pull apart, torso, legs, arms, head, cape, all come apart with a little nudging and prying. My plan is to do some cutting, sanding, painting and maybe even casting. These guys are just a touch small for 54mm, but I don't get wrapped up too much in sizing.

I have used that figure for some conversions myself. By the way there is a second mounted version of Merry together with Dernhelm (Eowyn) on one horse. That horse is too big a scale for the figure, but that Merry is in a different position and has shield in hand (not over shoulder) & holds his sword up I believe. He does have a Norman look to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back