Baseball Hot Stove League 2016-2017 (1 Viewer)

jazzeum

Four Star General
Time to kick off this thread, but with some disheartening news. Colon has signed with the Braves. He was a big fan favorite but with all the pitchers presumably healthy and the Mets needing to fit in Lugo and Gsellman, who shined during the stretch drive, he realized there probably wasn't a place for him here.

Time to kick off this thread, but with some disheartening news. Colon has signed with the Braves. He was a big fan favorite but with all the pitchers presumably healthy and the Mets needing to fit in Lugo and Gsellman, who shined during the stretch drive, he realized there probably wasn't a place for him here.
That is too bad. He was an anchor on the mound and had just discovered his power swing as a hitter. Now the question is what in the world are the youth-movement/rebuilding Braves up to? Yesterday they signed 42 year old R.A. Dickey and now they sign 43 year old Colon. Two solid pitchers, but at an age where the future is gone. Must be stop-gap moves until the younger pitchers mature. -- Al

I'm waiting to see what moves the Phillies and the Yankees will make. They both have very strong farm systems right now, with good prospects coming through Double-A and Triple-A. In fact, the farm systems squared off against each other in the playoffs in both the AA Eastern League (Reading vs Trenton) and the AAA International League (Lehigh Valley vs Wilkes-Barre-Scranton). I expect to see some movement this season and next, and to see some new, strong players making their major league debuts.

Prost!
Brad

I expect the Brewers to make a big push for players like Jesse Orosco, Jerry Reuss, and perhaps Jaime Moyer!!

I'm waiting to see what moves the Phillies and the Yankees will make. They both have very strong farm systems right now, with good prospects coming through Double-A and Triple-A. In fact, the farm systems squared off against each other in the playoffs in both the AA Eastern League (Reading vs Trenton) and the AAA International League (Lehigh Valley vs Wilkes-Barre-Scranton). I expect to see some movement this season and next, and to see some new, strong players making their major league debuts.

Prost!
Brad

Its a very pleasant change to see the Yankees with a farm system full of young talent, and no indication that they plan on spending a bunch of money on over the hill, overpriced free agents. If they could just find a way to trade McCann and (dare to dream) Ellsbury, they would be rid of all the bad contracts once CC's is over at the end of this season.

Well, the Phils took care of some pending business by dealing Darin Ruf to the Dodgers, along with 2B Darnell Sweeney, for Howie Kendrick.

Ruf has never quite lived up to the expectations the club had, when he broke Howard's single-season HR record at Double-A. Part of the problem is that Ruf has always been a first baseman, but with Howard in the starting role, Ruf was one more in a series of 1B prospects that the Phils converted to outfielders, to keep their bats in the lineup. Ruf never played the outfield professionally, and I think it showed. And he hasn't been able to adjust to pitching at the major league level, either. As of this season, he's a career .240 hitter in the majors, with a .433 slugging percentage, 35 homers, 96 ribbies. Not too good, for five seasons. And at 30, he's also no spring chicken. But maybe the change of scenery will spark something.

For Sweeney, it's a homecoming; he was originally drafted by the Dodgers in 2012, and came to Philadelphia in the Chase Utley trade. That trade moved Kendrick out of the starter's role at second. Hopefully he'll provide some leadership and tutelage for the younger players on the Phillies' roster.

And the stove isn't even hot yet!

Prost!
Brad

I will miss yelling, "DERWOOD!!!!!" though, when Ruf would come to bat, or when he would make a catch.

I see that both the Braves and Nats have inquired about Chris Sale. Not a move I'd like to see happen. It would make the Nats pretty formidable.

Tigers and Giants are discussing a trade for J.D. Martinez.

Mets top priority is signing Cespedes but they are talking to the agents for Bautista and Fowler. Phillies, Yankees and Nats are supposed to be interested in Cespedes. Even if they Cespedes, Mets could sign Bautista and then trade the Grandyman, Bruce or Conforto; teams have called the Mets about those three.

The Twins' Brian Dozier (42 HRs last year) might be traded.

Tigers are apparently listening to offers for Cabrera. I think the Tigers would be crazy to move him but if they get a great package, who knows?

Mike Trout won his second MVP yesterday. He's only the 5th player to win two by the age of 25, joining such Hall of Famers as Jimmy Foxx, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench. Rare company indeed. Since he became a full time player, he's never finished worse than 2nd in MVP voting. Pretty amazing.

Bryant won the NL MVP. He's a wonderful hitter to watch.

My son didn't at first believe that Trout won; he thought I was making it up. When I told him Bryant won, he said, "well, he's no Mike Trout." True, no one is. He stands alone.

Whew...the Brewers have FINALLY jumped into the fray with a major signing:

The Brewers have signed right-handed pitcher Paolo Espino to a minor league deal for the 2017 season.

Espino will turn 30 this January and began his career as a 10th round pick of the Cleveland Indians in 2006. The native of Panama has never made it to the major leagues, spending the first seven seasons of his career from 2007-2013 pitching in the Indians’ system before signing with the Nationals and spending 2014-16 between their AA and AAA affiliates.

Fear the 'Crew!!

Mike Trout won his second MVP yesterday. He's only the 5th player to win two by the age of 25, joining such Hall of Famers as Jimmy Foxx, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench. Rare company indeed. Since he became a full time player, he's never finished worse than 2nd in MVP voting. Pretty amazing.

Bryant won the NL MVP. He's a wonderful hitter to watch.

My son didn't at first believe that Trout won; he thought I was making it up. When I told him Bryant won, he said, "well, he's no Mike Trout." True, no one is. He stands alone.
Trout is amazing but his talents are being wasted on a team that can't get it right. LA should do right by Trout and move him to a contender while getting a butt-load of good players in return. Problem is, management would tick off the fan base forever with such a move.
Bryant won in the NL but I think Murphy had the better season offensively and should have received more than one 1st place vote. At least Scherzer was appreciated as he won the Cy Young, and deservedly so. -- Al

Trout will never be traded. Fans would revolt. In addition, Trout likes playing there. As long as he's happy there, he's not going anywhere. However, they do need to improve the team drastically.

Its a very pleasant change to see the Yankees with a farm system full of young talent, and no indication that they plan on spending a bunch of money on over the hill, overpriced free agents. If they could just find a way to trade McCann and (dare to dream) Ellsbury, they would be rid of all the bad contracts once CC's is over at the end of this season.

Mc Cann is gone..Michael

The Giants are shopping Matt Cain, but since he is owed $20 mil in 2017 there are no takers. The Giants are now talking about moving him to the bullpen.

Candidates for the 2017 Hall of Fame have been announced. Most of them won't survive past the first year of eligibility (you need 5% to be eligible for a second year) but some of the ones that might get some votes are Vladimir Guerrero (he should be elected eventually), Jorge Posada (on the bubble), Manny Ramirez (will get some votes but a steroids user) and Ivan (Pudge) Rodriguez.

Since there are no stand out candidates this year (other than Guerrero), this might be the year for Jeff Bagwell (named on 71.6% of ballots last year; you need 75% to gain admittance), Tim Raines (69.8%) and Trevor Hoffman (67.3%). I think Bagwell will be elected but not sure about the other two.

Candidates for the 2017 Hall of Fame have been announced. Most of them won't survive past the first year of eligibility (you need 5% to be eligible for a second year) but some of the ones that might get some votes are Vladimir Guerrero (he should be elected eventually), Jorge Posada (on the bubble), Manny Ramirez (will get some votes but a steroids user) and Ivan (Pudge) Rodriguez.

Since there are no stand out candidates this year (other than Guerrero), this might be the year for Jeff Bagwell (named on 71.6% of ballots last year; you need 75% to gain admittance), Tim Raines (69.8%) and Trevor Hoffman (67.3%). I think Bagwell will be elected but not sure about the other two.

You don't think I-Rod is a hall of famer? For me he is one of the top 5 catchers of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back