BB070 Winter M-10 : assignment unit error (1 Viewer)

Mastercom10

Private 1st Class
Effectively, during BOB the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion was only combat equipped with M-18 Hellcat and not at all with a single M-10.
On the other hand, here is a list of Tank Destroyer Battalions which were actually equipped with M-10 during BOB : 629th, 634th, 644th,
654th, 773rd, 803rd, 823rd, 893rd and 899th.
And what about the turret insignia and the nickname "Spirit of Atlanta", are these markings reliable for a M-10 ?.
Have you seen some wartime photo evidence of this ?.

All due respect, are there any vehicles in this hobby that you do find acceptable ?

All due respect, are there any vehicles in this hobby that you do find acceptable ?
Yes there are.
I have some tanks from other brands which satisfy me, not "perfect" but with no historical errors.
In regard of FL, at the moment I have no tanks of this brand but I don't despair about future releases.
I would like to have BB001, BB008 and BB034 but, unfortunately, I missed them.

I think you need to ease up a little on your critiques. Nothing ever seems good enough for you.
Don't worry, I am completely ease up and I will continue if necessary.
All these critiques are only intended to inform brands about certain defects in some of their figurines, hoping they can
make improvements ( it seems that brands are reading messages on this forum ).
I am absolutely not denigrating FL, most of my collection is made up with their products.
But I find really regrettable that a well detailed set with beautifull painting is a little wasted by poorly factory
assembly or historical errors.
Prices are very high, this should not be at this point.

I have and enjoy some superb First Legion figures from many periods of history. However, I think making a model of a 704th Tank Destroyer M-10 is
a little odd. I agree, it's not too hard to find out what equipment the 704th used. And I think it was primarily, if not completely, equipped with M-18s.
If First Legion wants help with this in the future, I'd be willing to do so.......

But I like as much accuracy in my models and figures as I can get. So I agree with "Mastercom10", this could have been executed a bit better. Lots of M-10's participated in the BOB, and finding one
would be pretty easy. Nothing hateful about pointing this out. I think FL would be very appreciative, and I KNOW they will take this to mind.

Nothing hateful about pointing this out. I think FL would be very appreciative, and I KNOW they will take this to mind.

I agree but after not being here for a bit and catching up with FL it seems there is an unhealthy obsession when someone literally spends hours and hours concocting post after post that seem to only end one way.

I have and enjoy some superb First Legion figures from many periods of history. However, I think making a model of a 704th Tank Destroyer M-10 is
a little odd. I agree, it's not too hard to find out what equipment the 704th used. And I think it was primarily, if not completely, equipped with M-18s.
If First Legion wants help with this in the future, I'd be willing to do so.......

But I like as much accuracy in my models and figures as I can get. So I agree with "Mastercom10", this could have been executed a bit better. Lots of M-10's participated in the BOB, and finding one
would be pretty easy. Nothing hateful about pointing this out. I think FL would be very appreciative, and I KNOW they will take this to mind.
Thanks Medic 314/79th, I almost believed that I was the only one on this forum who was attentive to accuracy !.

I think an error or two is sometimes inevitable. They do happen but if you focus on the errors to the detriment of your enjoyment then errors become an obsession.

We have an expression in English that may be applicable here: perfect is the enemy of the good.

I agree but after not being here for a bit and catching up with FL it seems there is an unhealthy obsession when someone literally spends hours and hours concocting post after post that seem to only end one way.
No obsession at all but simply a hope of having these beautifull FL products with fewer defects and inaccuracies.
Being almost the only one to point out the different problems, I know I have the wrong role but I will continue anyway according to necessity.
Ultimately, I think collectors would be very happy to have improved products, especially at these relatively high prices.

I think an error or two is sometimes inevitable. They do happen but if you focus on the errors to the detriment of your enjoyment then errors become an obsession.

We have an expression in English that may be applicable here: perfect is the enemy of the good.
No worries, my enjoyment is still there and I intend to continue my collection.
I know the expression you quote, but IMHO most of the problems I talked about are not a search of (an impossible) perfection, but a certain basis of quality.

If I was going to spend $660AUD on an AFV you could at least get the unit correct.
I was going to get one of these but will wait for Ken's version.
I have pre-ordered the T34 am looking forward to getting that.

It is a great M10 Model. aside from the 704th markings it could be a BOB M-10 from any unit. a confederate flag could be found on any vehicle in any US unit at that time.
Many units had sections originating in the National guard from southern states. I'd cover the unit markings with mud, splatter and dirt paint, even a little extra whitewash, and there you go!
an M-10 Battle of the Bulge stopping an SS panzer company in it's tracks......I might even consider finding the correct size decals and painting over the 704 and add 899, or any other unit equipped with M-10's.
I'd do the 899th TD Battalion. Supposedly destroyed 30 German vehicles during the battle....the tank could be manned by a replacement crew from Atlanta Georgia, arrived in July or August 1944.(899th originated from the Pacific Northwest.)
or the tank itself was transferred to the 899th from another unit, after repair.

Mastercomm is correct about the wrong unit markings on the FL winter M10… It’s an annoying mistake, particularly on an expensive premium/best-of-the-best type of model, but it’s not the worst error out there… For me, that “worst error” award goes to the upside down stowed tracks part on the FL Jagdpanzer IV L/48 models. That is an obvious oversight and an error not easily fixed on the FL model.

Nevertheless, they’re all still beautiful premade models that we didn’t have to build, paint, decal, and weather ourselves, and FL has definitely upped their painting and weathering game on some of their latest releases.

Just my two cents on this discussion 😉

It is a great M10 Model. aside from the 704th markings it could be a BOB M-10 from any unit. a confederate flag could be found on any vehicle in any US unit at that time.
Many units had sections originating in the National guard from southern states. I'd cover the unit markings with mud, splatter and dirt paint, even a little extra whitewash, and there you go!
an M-10 Battle of the Bulge stopping an SS panzer company in it's tracks......I might even consider finding the correct size decals and painting over the 704 and add 899, or any other unit equipped with M-10's.
I'd do the 899th TD Battalion. Supposedly destroyed 30 German vehicles during the battle....the tank could be manned by a replacement crew from Atlanta Georgia, arrived in July or August 1944.(899th originated from the Pacific Northwest.)
or the tank itself was transferred to the 899th from another unit, after repair.
Good idea to hide the wrong markings with some weathering.
And 899th TD battalion is a good choice for a BOB M-10.

Mastercomm is correct about the wrong unit markings on the FL winter M10… It’s an annoying mistake, particularly on an expensive premium/best-of-the-best type of model, but it’s not the worst error out there… For me, that “worst error” award goes to the upside down stowed tracks part on the FL Jagdpanzer IV L/48 models. That is an obvious oversight and an error not easily fixed on the FL model.

Nevertheless, they’re all still beautiful premade models that we didn’t have to build, paint, decal, and weather ourselves, and FL has definitely upped their painting and weathering game on some of their latest releases.

Just my two cents on this discussion 😉
Yes I completely agree, FL is top class in regard of painting and weathering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back