BBG49 Winter Stug (1 Viewer)

Mitch

Major General
Been a while since I did one of these of a new release and thought I would take some pics and, show this manufacture repainted release.

Had a good look at this model this morning as I had not seen the Stug before. I was never a fan of the waffle pattern Zimm so, just looked at it from afar.

Having seen this the release pics make the Zimmeritt look very bulky and, wow in your face kind of thing but, in reality its very well rendered. I am also not a fan of Tin hats on German tank crew but, this actually works on this commander and he is quite well done.

The painting is not too bad either and I quite like the washed effect that has been gained. The air recon flag is a good idea and, can be used in a number of scenario's as its a removable item so, if you don't want it on the AFV for taste accuracy etc your not stuck with it.

Wheels and tracks have always brought critique with however, you want to describe it track support or mud or whatever its relatively light in application on this model and, IMO the tracks and wheels benefit from its scarcity and have good detail. All the wheels are painted including the small road wheels which, as they are solid makes them look much better.

What I also like is the hull wear behind the wheels which, is not just smooth and has texture which enhances the modes look

This is a really nice model and hope you like the pics
Mitch

Attachments

• stugclose.JPG
    stugclose.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 429
  • stugside.JPG
    stugside.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 430
  • stugwheel.JPG
    stugwheel.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 419
  • stugwheelclose.JPG
    stugwheelclose.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 439
The small squares pattern of zimmerit on the model was one of the approved patterns of zimmerit for the Stug III Ausf G so it is quite correct and well done. But despite the good quality features you describe, I didn't get either the Winter or Summer version of this model. A Stug III, Ausf G with zimmerit would have been from the December 1943 - September 1944 period. Sideskirts were required equipment on Stugs from June 1943 for the Battle of Kursk and were factory installed on the Ausf G Stugs from the beginning of their production run. Despite early problems keeping the sideskirts on, by late 1943 the hanging system was perfected so it was usual for Stugs to have most or all of their sideskirts. . To my eye, a Stug III Ausf G without sideskirts from this period looks odd and untypical so I have kept the earlier Stug IV (WS069) which has sideskirts and will wait for a Stug III with sideskirts. And yes I realize it could be a very long wait. :(

Terry

The small squares pattern of zimmerit on the model was one of the approved patterns of zimmerit for the Stug III Ausf G so it is quite correct and well done. But despite the good quality features you describe, I didn't get either the Winter or Summer version of this model. A Stug III, Ausf G with zimmerit would have been from the December 1943 - September 1944 period. Sideskirts were required equipment on Stugs from June 1943 for the Battle of Kursk and were factory installed on the Ausf G Stugs from the beginning of their production run. Despite early problems keeping the sideskirts on, by late 1943 the hanging system was perfected so it was usual for Stugs to have most or all of their sideskirts. . To my eye, a Stug III Ausf G without sideskirts from this period looks odd and untypical so I have kept the earlier Stug IV (WS069) which has sideskirts and will wait for a Stug III with sideskirts. And yes I realize it could be a very long wait. :(

Terry

Terry:

Not sure about the zimmerit, but the model without the sideskirts is actually accurate in the sense that problems with the mountings persisted even after the fix of late 1943.

The website, http://stugiii.com/home.html, among other websites notes the following:

“Complaints by field units about the original mountings prompted some changes to be made. The original mounting system was poorly designed and resulted in frequent loss of the Schürzen plates. Heavy mud, brush and other foliage could force the plate off the mounting and damage both the plate and the rails. A change in mounting systems helped but never eliminated the problem completely.”

I like the Stugs with and without the sideskirts. I am actually glad KC has made models that have them and models that don’t.

Best,
Jason

Terry...

I am just not a fan of this pattern. I prefer plain old Zimm patterns. Similar with skirts I can take or leave really. I like the stugs without and when they have them on I quite like a few missing here and there. You lose too much of the AFV when skirts are on. I don't blame them for not doing them as never mind the difficulties the Heer had getting them to stay on look at how they have been done in this hobby!! I just don't think you could get them to stay on and look right. The only one I think that worked well and looked ok was the CS stugs with the rubber attachments.

For me the ideal stug is one that would work in and around the Kharkov area of operations. No Zimm, no skirts, with or without ketten and, grey or, whitewashed. A great way to build some excellent AFV units
Mitch

Terry:

Not sure about the zimmerit, but the model without the sideskirts is actually accurate in the sense that problems with the mountings persisted even after the fix of late 1943.

The website, http://stugiii.com/home.html, among other websites notes the following:

“Complaints by field units about the original mountings prompted some changes to be made. The original mounting system was poorly designed and resulted in frequent loss of the Schürzen plates. Heavy mud, brush and other foliage could force the plate off the mounting and damage both the plate and the rails. A change in mounting systems helped but never eliminated the problem completely.”

I like the Stugs with and without the sideskirts. I am actually glad KC has made models that have them and models that don’t.

Best,
Jason

Terry...

I am just not a fan of this pattern. I prefer plain old Zimm patterns. Similar with skirts I can take or leave really. I like the stugs without and when they have them on I quite like a few missing here and there. You lose too much of the AFV when skirts are on. I don't blame them for not doing them as never mind the difficulties the Heer had getting them to stay on look at how they have been done in this hobby!! I just don't think you could get them to stay on and look right. The only one I think that worked well and looked ok was the CS stugs with the rubber attachments.

For me the ideal stug is one that would work in and around the Kharkov area of operations. No Zimm, no skirts, with or without ketten and, grey or, whitewashed. A great way to build some excellent AFV units
Mitch

Both good points. The skirts do hide the details and there was a lot of lost skirts. But to me, late war Stugs more often than not had sideskirts. I have an early war Stug without and was hoping for an updated version of WS069 - with zimmerit, ambush camo and sideskirts.

Terry

Both good points. The skirts do hide the details and there was a lot of lost skirts. But to me, late war Stugs more often than not had sideskirts. I have an early war Stug without and was hoping for an updated version of WS069 - with zimmerit, ambush camo and sideskirts.

Terry

Terry:

If I had to choose, I think that WS069 is my favorite K&C Stug. I would love to see an updated version of that!

Best,
Jason

I just got mine yesterday and I thought it looked great. I'm very happy with it. Thank you Andy for a very unexpected and pleasant surprise!.....No complaints here, please do something like this again :)

I just got mine yesterday and I thought it looked great. I'm very happy with it. Thank you Andy for a very unexpected and pleasant surprise!.....No complaints here, please do something like this again :)

I really can't wait to see this Stug in person!

Terry...

Mitch

Yeah not a fan of this STUG seeing as i missed out ^&grin its a beast alright,
Ive got one in the making watch this space.....................:wink2::wink2:

I really can't wait to see this Stug in person!

Mine has arrived. Will pick it up next week from my local shop. As far as skirts are concerned : I will study a few pictures of Stugs in the Ardennes and then if I want skirts I will make my own . Not a big problem!!
guy:smile2:

Mine has arrived. Will pick it up next week from my local shop. As far as skirts are concerned : I will study a few pictures of Stugs in the Ardennes and then if I want skirts I will make my own . Not a big problem!!
guy:smile2:

I hope you do make your own skirts and that there is an easy way to hang them. I would be interested in getting a set.

Terry

Terry...

Plastic card is the best for making skirts and, the brackets are easy enough to make from scratch its light weight enough to not cause issues and, its excellent for getting detail. I drew the plans from a 1/35th scale kit a few years back then made them into 1/30th recently just not enough AFV's out that require them. They are easy to make if you have the modelling ability to make them otherwise its very difficult.

CS did the best way to make them with the rubber attachments but, I was not a fan of either skirts or, brackets on the Panzer IV's. I would rather have a model without than done poorly or, that would have the likelihood of damage in transit.
Mitch

I hope you do make your own skirts and that there is an easy way to hang them. I would be interested in getting a set.

Terry

Terry...

Plastic card is the best for making skirts and, the brackets are easy enough to make from scratch its light weight enough to not cause issues and, its excellent for getting detail. I drew the plans from a 1/35th scale kit a few years back then made them into 1/30th recently just not enough AFV's out that require them. They are easy to make if you have the modelling ability to make them otherwise its very difficult.

CS did the best way to make them with the rubber attachments but, I was not a fan of either skirts or, brackets on the Panzer IV's. I would rather have a model without than done poorly or, that would have the likelihood of damage in transit.
Mitch

Glad to hear it's so easy to make. But you know I have no modelling skills. But since they are so easy to make, Nice of you to volunteer if I need them :smile2:

Terry

Terry...

Me and my big mouth. I should have said very difficult, complex and time consuming!!!LOL
Mitch

Glad to hear it's so easy to make. But you know I have no modelling skills. But since they are so easy to make, Nice of you to volunteer if I need them :smile2:

Terry

Got the snow stug today
Thanks to Dietz for info
i was very surprized that there was still one around
Again thank u Dietz (Brian)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back