Boer War Series (1 Viewer)

Yes, most realistic, 1:1 scale figures !!!

This is the inscription on the monument with words from one of our iconic poets:

Boer War 1899 - 1902

When the dash and the excitement and the novelty are dead,
And you've seen a load of wounded once or twice.
Or you've watched your old mate dying - with the vultures overhead,
Well, you wonder if the war is worth the price.

And down along Monaro now they`re starting out to shear.
I can picture the excitement and the row ;
But they`ll miss me on the Lachlan when they call the roll this year,
For we`re going on a long job now.

A. B. Paterson 1902

The monument shows Australian troopers mounted on horses breaking through the trees of ANZAC Parade. The significance of the four troopers is that they represent a four-man section, a formation for fighting and patrolling. When they went into combat, three men would dismount while the fourth would lead the horses to cover. Letters from veteran Frederick Harper Booth are at the feet of the horses.

John
Banjo Paterson had a way with words
I like the way the statues are moving through a real landscape.
Very evocative

I am loving this. A 4 man Aussie mounted section would be great. Agreed the sculpture in Canberra is amazing. I need to go and see that.
Jas

I am loving this. A 4 man Aussie mounted section would be great. Agreed the sculpture in Canberra is amazing. I need to go and see that.
Jas

Jason,

gives you 'purpose and direction' for a weekender??

John

That's a beautiful sculpture. Very realistic. In Washington DC, there's a sculpture of a patrol of US soldiers in the Korean War, which is really neat too.

I actually like the cold and i have a beautiful wife to cuddle with and keep me warm! I am only in Sydney so it is great fir a weekender, havent been down since before Covid so its about time. I love Canberra, it has so many hidden gems, love that every suburb has a little hub with great eateries. I reckon its over 15 years since i checked out Anzac parade / war gallery parade. I think at that time there was only the Vietnam memorial. I will try to go with my son who is currently a trainee medic and a recent graduate of Kapooka

Users who are viewing this thread

Back