Bomber Boys (1 Viewer)

Rob

Four Star General
BBC1 Sunday 9pm.

Duration: 1 hour, 30 minutes

From BBC website;

Brothers Colin and Ewan McGregor follow up their documentary The Battle of Britain with a film exploring Bomber Command, a rarely-told story from the Second World War.

The film focuses primarily on the men who fought and died in the skies above occupied Europe, with numerous examples of individual heroism and extraordinary collective spirit, and Colin learns to fly the key aircraft of the campaign: the Lancaster bomber. But this is also the story of a controversy that has lasted almost 70 years.

The programme covers six years of wartime operations, and traces the obstacles and challenges that were overcome as the RAF developed and deployed the awesome fighting force that was Bomber Command.

Should be another good one!

Rob

Already into the sky box. I am really looking forward to this. I believe this is the first of many programmes this year about the RAF and its bomber force. Excellent stuff
Mitch

Mitch, the Battle of Britain docu these guys did was very good and so have high hopes for this. I see the Beeb have put it in the spot that Birdsong has had for the last two weeks, there seems to be an ever growing appetite for all these War progs and dramas and this will surely grow as the 1914-2014 anniversary approaches.

Rob

Well, I thought it was a better doc than the BOB one. It was excellent and, very well made. Thouroughly enjoyed this
Mitch

I thought this programme was just excellent. The visual shots of the Lancaster in flight were just stunning. Some of the controversial issues surrounding the bombing campaign of some German Cities, which some say continued for too long, were also not sidestepped, and received an airing. The use of the two brothers to guide us through the programme was also a good twist - but the Star of the whole thing for me - was the Lancaster. jb

JB...

Your right about the star of the show. The Lanc is a superb aircraft.
Mitch

I thought this programme was just excellent. The visual shots of the Lancaster in flight were just stunning. Some of the controversial issues surrounding the bombing campaign of some German Cities, which some say continued for too long, were also not sidestepped, and received an airing. The use of the two brothers to guide us through the programme was also a good twist - but the Star of the whole thing for me - was the Lancaster. jb

Only bad thing about the program was never said much about the Halifax or Sterling bombers and gave you the impression the lan was the only bomber used

Neil..

Probably as everyone associates the Lanc with the RAF and, Bomber command they had to make a choice to focus on that one. Probably, would have needed another programme to address the other aircraft. There are supposed to be quite a few programmes coming out over the next few months about Bomber command so, maybe these will focus on the ones you mention. Mind, the Lanc was a huge part of what BC did against the german war machine
Mitch

Only bad thing about the program was never said much about the Halifax or Sterling bombers and gave you the impression the lan was the only bomber used

Good though the Halifax undoubtedly was - I think that most people still associate the British Bomber with the Lanc - so for such a short programme - it was perhaps the logical choice - especially as one is still flying - and the visual content made such compelling TV. It's only fair to note that Halifax was very much the forerunner of the Lanc (produced from 1940 - a year ahead of the Lanc) - and many aerodynamic lessons were learned - especially from the Halifax Mk 1 - and the problems associated with the tail of the 'plane.

There's an interesting little memorial not too far from my home - with an engraving on it of a Halifax - dedicated to the SOE Secret para drops which occurred around here during WW2 - to assist the French Resistance. Next time I'm down that way, I'll take a pic and post it - along with the inscription. Nice thing to note, is that it regularly still has a posy of flowers put on it by some folks down in this neck of the woods.

I hope that there are indeed many more programmes to come on Bomber Command - and if that was just the first - roll on the next ones! jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back