Casting copies of other soldiers (1 Viewer)

Hello Brad, I enjoy a healthy and robust debate, but without voice tone, eye contact or body language, it is always difficult to judge in this medium.

Igor, I have a few wonderfully painted 30mm flats which I bought unboxed on the street in St Petersburg 15 years ago. Red coated Grenadiers of Peter the Great era, other than that I do not know the Regiment or painter. Perhaps I shall search online for a few to complement them. Would you know where I might find some?

спасибо

John T

I do like your signature quote Mike, "We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them".

Yours? May I repeat it, or will you sue me?

My favourite quote being “If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” Albert Einstein.

I shall now view other threads about 'Toy Soldiers, after all, that is what I joined this forum for.

John T

By all means, my fellow former crimefighter!:)

Igor, I have a few wonderfully painted 30mm flats which I bought unboxed on the street in St Petersburg 15 years ago. Red coated Grenadiers of Peter the Great era, other than that I do not know the Regiment or painter. Perhaps I shall search online for a few to complement them. Would you know where I might find some?

спасибо

John T

On the street in St. Petersburg you can buy anything
This may be a copy or the original author of an unknown author
Also it may be work of very well-known master Vladimir Nuzhdin

Thank you Igor. If I can work out how to post photographs I shall do so, perhaps they may interest others, and perhaps you may be able to identify them. Having visted St Petersburg, Moscow, and worked for 3 months in Yalta I am very aware of the traditional painting and general craft skills of your countrymen, but these are the only tin soldiers which I have ever seen.

Regards,

John T

Your views are rather antiquated and are definitely out of place in today's society but I see no reason why you have to leave unless you wish to do so. Whether you like it or not society has developed laws to address situations that have evolved. I hope that when you were a policeman you enforced the laws as they existed, not how you'd like them to be. This is a non political forum so let's leave it at that.

Copyright laws exist to address instances where people use other's ideas for profit without just compensation. If you intend to sell these copies to the public and the statute of limitations has not run, then, yes, the owner would have an action. If the use is just incidental without an intent for mass distribution, I doubt anyone would care.

Yes Brad, I do know that my views do not confirm to modern society, although I would maintain that society is wrong, not me. When I was a policeman I enforced the law with judgement, not blindly following it. That does not mean that I ever bent the law, I repeat, enforced it with common sense and judgement. Douglas Bader famously said that “Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.” I would however suspect that such sentiment, if not the actual quote predates him by many years. I have already alluded to my ignorance regarding any legal limitations to copyright regarding figures, said that I would not condone seeking profit or even expenses from enhancing and expressed my view that I would prosecute anyone copying the work of existing authors. Perhaps you did not read that? I note from your signature quote that you may be money orientated.

I am sorry to have re-opened this can of worms and shall in future keep my views to my cabinet friends until such time as sanity returns to the world.

Sincerely,

John Tremelling

John,

I don't believe you opened a can of worms and there is nothing wrong with asking as to what is permissible. I too believe the law should be enforced judiciously but it's a question of where you draw the line. At any rate, it's probably a question best left elsewhere. I believe your views are quaint but they are your views.

As far as being "money orientated" because of my signature, I just happen to be a fan of the Beatles and happen to like the song although it's probably time to change the signature. However, money does pay for a relatively comfortable life, including this hobby :)

Although I make molds from commercial figures, I'm alway careful to modify the originals even if they are for my own use. I might add a new backpack or bayonet; I always change the arms; use a different head, etc. Don't know if the rules have changed over the years, but my understanding is that at least 20 percent of the original must be changed in order not to violate copyright laws. As it is, these are for my own enjoyment; I don't sell them.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back