Central Pa WW2 Roundtable (1 Viewer)

Currahee Chris

Sergeant Major
Hey fellas

Came across this group and attended their December and January meetings. These events are free to the public. They typically run 1-2 hours in length and feature some sort of discussion on WW2. December was a WW2 vet from the 4ID who landed at Omaha and fought in the Bulge. January was a Merchant Mariner. February is going to be Andrew Biggio- whom I profiled in my Battle of the Bulge thread. Meetings are the first Thursday in the month. I believe they start at 6pm.

I know not all of you are Blessed to live in Central Pa {sm4}{sm4} so if you aren't one of the lucky ones, they do have a YouTube channel which broadcasts the meetings as well. All of this is for free.

Here is the website. It's a fun group and my wife and I look forward to staying involved for as long as possible.

Home page (centralpaww2roundtable.org)

Thanks for the tip, Chris! Hummelstown isn't that far from the Valley, about an hour or a little more. I'll have to see if I can make a meeting sometime. Maybe see if anyone else would like to go.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks for the tip, Chris! Hummelstown isn't that far from the Valley, about an hour or a little more. I'll have to see if I can make a meeting sometime. Maybe see if anyone else would like to go.

Prost!
Brad

Well, I know Jill and I would love to see you!!! I'll keep you posted on potential events that might make the trek worthwhile.

The WW2 Roundtable spun off the Central Pa Civil War roundtable which attracts hundreds of people I am being told at each meeting. The WW2 one is right around 100 or so- when Dick Winters came a few years back they said it was standing room only once word got out he was there.

There are dozens of Viet Nam vets in attendance and they spun their own Viet Nam Roundtable off too- they meet the first or second wed of each month.

You know us Pennsylvanians, we LOVE a good roundtable ALMOST as much as we love a good Potluck dinner ha ha {sm4}{sm4}

Oh, yeah! There's a Civil War roundtable here, too. I've never attended but I used to work with chairman and learned about it. After my Gettysburg trip last summer, I might visit and see what they do.

Prost!
Brad

Our 18 year old son joined us last night. He commented "Whenever I come to these things with you it always smells like the military"...I laughed and said "Nah kid, it's probably more like a lot of us old guys collected in the same room"

During the Q&A session, he stood up and told the presenter that he is an 18 year old high school senior and really wants to learn more about WW2"- that got him a nice applause from the audience.

Next month they were going to have a member of the FFI speak which would have been really cool but he passed away so they were able to get a USMC vet who fought on Okinawa scheduled to come speak.

Andrew Biggio got another WW2 vet to sign his rifle there too.

July 11th's guest speaker is a Tuskegee airman. If anyone wants to attend, this might be the session you want to attend- even if just on youtube. These folks are getting fewer and fewer and are national treasures.

My son and I met the representatives of the Philly Chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen at the Mid Atlantic WW2 Air show last Friday- one of the reps asked my son what he is doing with his life "Im going to attend Eastern University and play baseball there. It's a small school outside of King of Prussia". A huge smile broke out on her face and her husband and fellow reps started laughing. " Oh I know where it is- I graduated from there. You need to apply for our scholarship". Naturally seeing an opportunity to cut my kid's college tuition bill I kicked him in the rear and had him apply. {sm4}{sm4}

But yeah, I think you guys will want to tune in. Thursday July 11th- speaker will probably take the floor at 7pm (1900).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back