Chicago show 2019 info (5 Viewers)

Nicholas V Hall

Private 2
Hi Fellas. Just booked the Hyatt for the 2019 show. Then looked on trip advisor, someone says it’s like a federal prison. Coming from England so is it OK or what? Thanks

The layout of the hotel is a bit weird, so I assume that is what they meant. Never saw it as a block house of a prison but it's kinda funny as it does fit.
It's a decent quality hotel in a upscale area.

On the 4th and 5th floors (where the dealers are located, except for Hobby Bunker and AeroArt, which are on the first), you will find a handout showing the layout of the floors and in what rooms the dealers are located. Make sure you take one so that you can check off the rooms you've visited. Otherwise, it can be confusing and you'll find yourself asking "wasn't I just here?"

HaHaHa! Great show, I have done 36 0f the 38 shows. The hotel layout reminds me of off setted squares It`s like a Humanoid Mouse Maze. You come to a intersection ,and you do not know whether you are coming or going. That`s half the fun . I remember one dealer had a sign on his door that read "No admittance with out shirt and shoes"! Great Comeraderee, and the drinks at the bar are first rate.

What would you guys think if I brought my repair stuff out to the show? I could do all kinds of things from pinning broken parts and refilling paint chips during the show. Maybe even color changes repaints and weathering.

I think it’s a brilliant idea. I have wanted this for the 20 + years I have been going to it.
I have always had to ask a favor from guys like Ted and Ron to help and they are kind enough to help but I feel like a heal asking. Depending on the cost I would have several items that have broken bayonets or small items like that.

What would you guys think if I brought my repair stuff out to the show? I could do all kinds of things from pinning broken parts and refilling paint chips during the show. Maybe even color changes repaints and weathering.

You'd probably want to check with the hotel first if you plan on doing repairs in your room; if you mean on the day of the show, you'd want to check with the promoter.

Bringing tools and supplies along is pretty common in the figure show and IPMS worlds. It often happens that your prize piece gets damaged in transit and you've got to do some repair before you put it in the exhibition. I've got my paints and tools in two toolboxes for mobility.

Prost!
Brad

Considering attending the show for the first time, a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth it flying in the day of the show, visiting the show, and flying out? Not going to the room trading part.
2. What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and back? and how much does it cost?

Thank you!!

1. Is it worth it flying in the day of the show, visiting the show, and flying out? Not going to the room trading part.
2. What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and back? and how much does it cost?

Thank you!!

In my opinion, what makes this show special, if not unique, is the room trading. You have a chance to visit rooms and talk to dealers in a very relaxed atmosphere, at your own pace. In addition, you get a chance to put faces to Forum names and spend time with them, either at dinner or the bar. Although the show is very good, if that's all you want to do, you could use your time and money more effectively by going to the Hackensack show. You miss a whole lot if you don't do the room trading.

I have used a limo service to get to and from the airport but Uber/Lyft may be cheaper.

I’ve had great experiences with the limo service Brad recommended to me years ago. Always on time and reasonable pricing. I forgot the name, but someone will know it.

Thank you!!

Chicago is the show of shows in the United States, by far it's the biggest and draws dealers from all across the world.

If you can get there a day early and do the room trading, great; if not, the show itself on Sunday is and of itself an excellent experience.

Thank you!!

I have only been to one Chicago Show...
to answer your first question...
I would say "definitely no"...

the actual show only last about 4-5 hours...
I don't remember exactly...
somebody else can confirm exactly how long the show is...

the truth is...
I could not see all the exhibits and dealers in that short amount of time...
this is a BIG SHOW...

almost everything I bought was from room trading...
to me the room trading was the highlight of my experience...

John...
no...
I appreciate the suggestion/offer...
but I'm gonna pass...
I'll wait for the Texas Show...^&grin

Room trading is what makes this show. The last 10 years I didn't even stay for the show. Get there Thursday and leave Saturday.

John mate, I'll be going so I can be your wingman at the bar! {sm3}

Mike mate, I hope you reconsider...

Tom

Agreed; waiting for something that might happen vs a sure thing.

No contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back