Civil War PATCHES ! (1 Viewer)

Capitolron

Lieutenant Colonel
I am sure most of you have read my posts on the new Artillery Sets coming out for the AWI.

Again, I like the idea of realistic look - but, by only producing that one look - you limit the number of sets that collectors will buy. This little bug-a-boo of mine actually started with the release of the CONFEDERATES in the new Civil War range.

See to make great dioramas for the 1800's - you need to form firing lines. Especially with Napoleonics and the Civil War Battles where line formations were used greatly. With the new K&C Confederate figures - their pathes and torn pants legs (although looking great) works against the collector from buying more than one figure of each !

If you look closely at some of the picture below - you can see that you CANNOT HAVE A FIRING LINE OF MEN WITH SAME PATCH OR TEAR ON THEIR UNIFORM ! Hopefully we shall soon see other Confederates to mix in with these figures to create GREAT DISPLAYS - but for now ... I am buying one of each :(

Attachments

• user421_pic4830_1232947657.jpg
    user421_pic4830_1232947657.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 426
  • user421_pic4831_1232947727.jpg
    user421_pic4831_1232947727.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 425
  • user421_pic4832_1232947727.jpg
    user421_pic4832_1232947727.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 425
  • user421_pic4833_1232947812.jpg
    user421_pic4833_1232947812.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 421
  • user421_pic4834_1232947812.jpg
    user421_pic4834_1232947812.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 418
I am sure most of you have read my posts on the new Artillery Sets coming out for the AWI.

Again, I like the idea of realistic look - but, by only producing that one look - you limit the number of sets that collectors will buy. This little bug-a-boo of mine actually started with the release of the CONFEDERATES in the new Civil War range.

See to make great dioramas for the 1800's - you need to form firing lines. Especially with Napoleonics and the Civil War Battles where line formations were used greatly. With the new K&C Confederate figures - their pathes and torn pants legs (although looking great) works against the collector from buying more than one figure of each !

If you look closely at some of the picture below - you can see that you CANNOT HAVE A FIRING LINE OF MEN WITH SAME PATCH OR TEAR ON THEIR UNIFORM ! Hopefully we shall soon see other Confederates to mix in with these figures to create GREAT DISPLAYS - but for now ... I am buying one of each :(
Couldn't you fix that with a wee bit of paint? That would seem a painting challenge even I could meet.;)

I agree, unless you are absolutelay against changing some figures, a little epoxy putty and a bit if paint and you have a changed figure. If you aren't comfortable doing it there are some of us around who can help.

One detail that would be convenient for creating "multiples" would be spare heads from K&C. To create a "new" figure one can swap heads also. Just a few changes put some variety into your firing line.

Use the artists' trick of putting most of the detail and variety nearest the viewer and draw their attention, then it matters less that the rest of the line is similar to each other.

Gary B.

I think they've missed a great marketing/sales opportunity, with the ragged figures, and that is, they could create an instant RARE item (see the thread under "eBay Watch"- ;) ). That is, make 50 of the figures with patches or otherwise tattered uniforms, and include one in some boxings but not others. Then discontinue the run of the ragged figures by breaking the mold.

You'd want to see the water boil on eBay? That would be feeding frenzy almost without parallel.

Prost!
Brad

Yes - You can change your figures if that is what you want. But for the money you spend on them - I would think it would be better for them to come out in a manner that justifies the high cost of figures today.

Re-working a Del Prado figure - like we have seen UK Reb do - is fine because of the low cost of the figure - but if you are going to pay $32.00 a figure - I would think it should be more pristine. IMHO.

Yes - You can change your figures if that is what you want. But for the money you spend on them - I would think it would be better for them to come out in a manner that justifies the high cost of figures today.

Re-working a Del Prado figure - like we have seen UK Reb do - is fine because of the low cost of the figure - but if you are going to pay $32.00 a figure - I would think it should be more pristine. IMHO.

Got to agree with you Ron there is no way I would patch/repaint any of my K&C or new Britains figures-they cost far too much today for me to mess around with.

I got around the firing line problem of too many identical figures simply by mixing them up using different manufacturers. As you told me Ron the very slight difference in scale ratio hardly notices amongst a whole bunch of firing/kneeling/advancing Rebs-they tended to keep their heads down anyway:D

Reb

It's not just the patches on the Confederates that you'll run into problems with, the multi-colored sleeping bags that some of them have won't look good in multiples on a firing line.

I also have only purchased one of each until there are future releases.

On the other hand, I love the line, and as far as I can see this is the only drawback.

Reb

No question these Civil War figures are great additions to all of our CW Collections ! I sometime like to have a complete K&C display only - thats why I would like more generic figures.

I really look forward to the future releases - just hope we can keep the PATCH FIGURES down to a minimum.

Ron

I agree, unless you are absolutelay against changing some figures, a little epoxy putty and a bit if paint and you have a changed figure. If you aren't comfortable doing it there are some of us around who can help.

One detail that would be convenient for creating "multiples" would be spare heads from K&C. To create a "new" figure one can swap heads also. Just a few changes put some variety into your firing line.

Use the artists' trick of putting most of the detail and variety nearest the viewer and draw their attention, then it matters less that the rest of the line is similar to each other.

Gary B.
Tremendous idea on the spare heads, now that would be worth while indeed.

Got to agree with you Ron there is no way I would patch/repaint any of my K&C or new Britains figures-they cost far too much today for me to mess around with.
I don't know guys, if you bought them for you, then either you like them the way they are or you change them so you do. Those choices seem more realistic than having a manufacturer change its approach to a full market. Besides Ron, you are already going down this road and if you need to get to a 100 or so to become great, this is an opportunity to do it faster; just consider the patches a chip you need to repair.;):D Otherwise, what are you going to do with all that paint?

VERY SCARY :eek: - I am not sure that I could do KING & COUNTRY figures justice with my repainting efforts !

I will however plan on playing with other cheaper figures - to see what I can do !

I just really want - Perfect MINT - K&C Troops in my Collection. It would be nice not to have to go through the trouble of repainting to get something that K&C is already doing. Take for example the UNION FIGURES:

Look at these guys below - see how they are uniform and several can be put together for a firing line. Thats all I want with a few shooting confederates :D

Attachments

• user421_pic4839_1233070933.jpg
    user421_pic4839_1233070933.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 165
  • user421_pic4840_1233070933.jpg
    user421_pic4840_1233070933.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 167
  • user421_pic4841_1233070933.jpg
    user421_pic4841_1233070933.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 165
The Zouaves are very nice. I do wonder why ACW stuff is not offered in 3 man sets. You could have 3 distinct looks of the figures. Maybe a set A and set B with 6 distinct looks..Otherwise offer singles painted or sculpted with slight variations of the same pose...Michael

Last edited:
I agree with Ron on this issue. For one who enjoys setting up dioramas of the ACW, AWI and Napoleonic eras massed troops bring history to a more realistic and exciting level.
Not to get too picky but besides the patches facial hair can be a drawback to dioramas as well. For example if all the firing poses are clean shaven and all the loading poses have beards it will look somewhat strange in a massed formation.
These are marketing issues for makers who want to maximize their sales and still retain artistic freedom.

As previously mentioned offering both a more customized and more standard figure fills both needs in our hobby.

I also want to point out that King & Country has done different variations of the same Toy Soldier figure. In the Alamo range - you have a Stand at Attention Soldier with a mustache and another one without !

I hope we can see some new Confederate Troops that will allow us to develop firing lines. :)

The real problem with this figure set is that rarely did Confederates have patches on their pants.Repairs were generally done internally with any repair work hardly showing.Even when the Confederate army was at its most destitute in 1862 (ie at Antietam) photographic evidence NEVER shows patches on pants.....or shoeless troops for that matter.

The real problem with this figure set is that rarely did Confederates have patches on their pants.Repairs were generally done internally with any repair work hardly showing.Even when the Confederate army was at its most destitute in 1862 (ie at Antietam) photographic evidence NEVER shows patches on pants.....or shoeless troops for that matter.

Hi Tullock,

Thanks for posting such interesting information. And,...welcome to the Treefrog Forum! It is always a treat to see and greet a new member. I think you will find your involvement with members of the forum to be pleasant, productive, educational and entertaining. I hope you will visit us often and post frequently!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

I believe your statement to be a little mis-leading. I have a large collection of ACW photographs primarily taken by Brady or his staff. I also have a number of Confederate photos showing Officers and Soldiers of the Confederate Army practically all taken in the studios of Vannerson and Jones- Main Street- Richmond. It was the height of fashion to be "photographed" in your brand new uniform to send to one's kin before going into action but most of these shots were taken 1861-mid 1863, following this time Julian Vannerson was unable to get a regular supply of photographic materiel to continue with his studio.

Unlike the photographers attached to the Union army there were few if any Southern cameramen who followed Lee or Johnston's men into the field and photographed the army at war. The photographs taken of Southern dead or prisoners for example were taken by Brady or his team and the Reb soldier/trooper were notorious for stealing Northern washing/clothes when they invaded Maryland and Pennsylvania. The battle of Gettysburg began with Heth's divisions entering the town looking for shoes. Also the famous shot of the 3 Rebs captured at Gettysburg show the soldiers extremely well kitted out- no doubt having robbed their dead colleagues of the best clothes, blankets and boots they could find before being shipped to a Union POW camp.

I have no real idea if the Reb army wore patches on their pants or coats as I have never seen photographs of them in the field, only studio shots or dead but your quote photographic evidence NEVER shows patches on pants......or shoeless troops for that matter sounds quite emphatic and I am curious on what evidence you based it on.

I do however, have many Northern and Southern written accounts from letters and diaries describing the appearance of the Confederate soldier such as "they wore not uniforms one could recognise most were clothed in mere rags and their bare feet were as black as coal"
Diary of Daniel Turner-Pennsylvania- June 30th 1863 as he watched Lee's army march toward Gettysburg.

Reb

Welcome Tullock. You can join UK Reb as our resident Civil War experts, both from the UK!:D

I also have not seen two many photographs of southern soldiers at war. There is a famour photo of a division marching through a Maryland town that is famous simply because it was rare to have them photograhed "in action." I would imagine there were many ways to repair clothes. If you do have information on how they tended to repair them, that is very interesting to me too.

As far as the figures go, I agree with Ron. Too many patches get redundant.

Sorry UK but I have to heartily disagree with you.In my initial posting I wasn't speaking of studio portraits but more of 'in the field' photos showing Confederate dead and prisoners,of which there are many.(Most can be downloaded from the superb Library of Congress website and studied in great detail).
I have spent the last 20 years heavily researching CS uniforms and have yet still to find rags,patches or numerous examples of bare feet.Eyewitness accounts really must be taken with a pinch of salt.Northern civilians or soldiers used to well equipped northern troops and militia very often misidentified 'plain',poorly dyed southern uniforms as civilian items.You cite an eyewitness who claims to have seen numerous barefooted rebels during the Gettysburg Campaign.This simply is not true.Lee's supply train carried an estimated 200,000 spare pairs of shoes and your example of CS troops entereing Gettysburg looking for shoes does not neccessarily mean they had non at all.More likely they were badly worn.(The curse of all armies throughout history).Lee's army,just prior to Gettysburg had been completely re-supplied with uniforms and equipment,(as it was after the campaign).Quartermaster records detail it,soldier's diaries back it up and the many photos of Confederate dead prove it.Why do you assume that the 3 prisoners in the photo had robbed their own dead to procure uniforms?They look to me to be wearing new North Carolina issue jackets and Richmond depot pants.(All NC troops recieved fresh supplies in mid June 1863).
Just to reiterate,the many hundreds of photos of dead and prisoners taken at Antietam,Gettysburg,The Wilderness,Spotsylvania,The Valley,Petersburg,Richmond,Lookout mountain and Atlanta never,ever show rags,patched clothing or non-uniformity.
I am,at present ,working on a new book...'Confederate Infantry uniforms at Antietam'.It should be published in the late Autumn of this year.
Thankyou for your interest and kind greetings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back