CJB Models: Colin J. Burkill's Individually Hand Cast Masterpieces (6 Viewers)

You've got quite a collection there Louis. Photos look good too. Have you thought about getting a tripod. That can help steady the camera quite a bit.

Brad

You've got quite a collection there Louis. Photos look good too. Have you thought about getting a tripod. That can help steady the camera quite a bit.

Brad

I probably should, as anything that can help me poor attempts at photography would be a good idea.:eek:

I think your photography is pretty good. However, sometimes I use a tripod to get a better shot, to focus on a particular part of a proposed shot.

Hi Louis, now that you are an iphone geek, you might want to upgrade your iphone. It will also help with your skype.

But Ed, I've only had this one for a few months . . . I don't know if I'm ready to learn how to use a more advanced one!{sm2}

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of Interwar's collection, particularly the officers and clerks that go with the office trucks.:smile2:

Hello Louis,
Still not back in the office to sort that catalogue, but I did have these on file.
May I present one of my favourite pieces in my miniature garage: CJB's rendering of the Morris Commerical CS8 15 cwt Office Truck, as used by the BEF in 1939-40.
It comes complete with driver, clerks and officers discussing tactics ('Fastest route to Dunkirk, chaps?') around a white metal folding map table.
Which, being a CJB product, does actual fold.
As do the chairs.
He's a patient man, that Colin.

MorrisOffice1a.jpgMorrisOffice2a.jpgMorrisOffice3a.jpg

Attachments

• MorrisOffice4.jpg
    MorrisOffice4.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 282
  • MorrisOffice5a.jpg
    MorrisOffice5a.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 265
Three additional shots, showing some of the nice extras - The folded service caps and tin hats of the clerks at work come as loose items to arrange on their desks, while their SMLE rifles are stowed at the back.
I may be wrong, but I think all the figures depict either privates or NCOs, as commissioned officers would have a collar and tie showing, even in Battle Dress.

MorrisOffice6a.jpgMorrisOffice7a.jpgMorrisOffice8a.jpg

Absolutely outstanding!^&cool^&cool I have that wonderful CS8 Office Truck, but I absolutely have to see if I can talk Mr. Burkill into selling me a set of those figures!:wink2:

While Louis is busy writing some well-chosen words to Mr Burkill, other CJB admirers might be interested to know that that an example of the Morris Commercial Battery Staff Car is currently on sale on ebay, in an auction ending on 22nd August

http://http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300948147176&globalID=EBAY-GB

I have actually bought a model from this seller before, and can vouch for how well the model will be packed in transit - Her brother deals in and restores Hornby locomotives, and she enlists his help when sending things out. He would win any award for most creative use of bath sponges! The model was bought by her father from the Bristol-based dealer Lester Harrison, who used to buy multiple examples of CJB lorries and then often rebox them with vintage Morris adverts as labels. (Standard CJB boxes are plain).

One of my favourite CJB models - And since Louis and Artillery Crazy both own one already, the chances of winning it are considerably increased :p

$(KGrHqQOKp0FIFocPUVHBSCQ3knscQ~~60_12.JPG$T2eC16NHJIQFHIipnD(RBSCQ4hF3D!~~60_12.JPG$T2eC16ZHJIUFHHOKNsUyBSCQ30Z,mQ~~60_12.JPG

I already threw up a hefty bid, so I wouldn't count on getting it cheaply . . . :wink2: After all, like camels, you can never have too many CJB Models.:tongue:

I just made a deal to buy the Battery Staff Car.:wink2:

Hey Louis,!!!!!

I sincerely do not think this is fair play , nor a gentleman' s approach in our collecting circle.....maybe to rouge...I call it ringing a bidding process.
If the e Bay seller had the item for sale with the bidding open until August 22nd, why would you want to take such an unfair action as to other collectors opportunity to also bid and eventually have one sample of this CJB model in their collections....given that you already have one yourself!! Why not give the next guy a chance to also have an example in their collections......The word I am looking for here is TOO GREADY....
Look what you have just said in the e Bay site.....
: Hello, I am the only bidder on your CJB Model at present at 110 GBP. If you would like to consider doing a buy it now for 175 GBP I would happily do so, and will immediately remit payment via paypal. I have an address you can send the model to in England if you do not want to ship it to the United States. I am also interested in purchasing any other CJB Models you offer for sale. Thank you, Louis Badolato Aug-15-13
A: Dear sir I am willing to accept your offer of £175 however I need to see if I am able to revise the auction to a buy it now option to make sure you are the successful buyer. I also have other models of CJB of which I'm willing to send you pictures to look at if you would like. Also an address in Britain is very helpful. So please confirm to me you would like me to change the auction to buy now and I shall do it and inform you when I've done it many thanks Jane

Luiz,

I bought it because I have a couple of other friends who have CJB Models in their collection, one of whom does not have the Battery Staff Car. I intend to pass it along to him (I will trade it for something or just give it to him). I knew that you already have this model, as does my other friend (who got it in the Vectis Auction we just shared).

Hey Louis,!!!!!

I sincerely do not think this is fair play , nor a gentleman' s approach in our collecting circle.....maybe to rouge...I call it ringing a bidding process.
If the e Bay seller had the item for sale with the bidding open until August 22nd, why would you want to take such an unfair action as to other collectors opportunity to also bid and eventually have one sample of this CJB model in their collections....given that you already have one yourself!! Why not give the next guy a chance to also have an example in their collections......The word I am looking for here is TOO GREADY....
Look what you have just said in the e Bay site.....
: Hello, I am the only bidder on your CJB Model at present at 110 GBP. If you would like to consider doing a buy it now for 175 GBP I would happily do so, and will immediately remit payment via paypal. I have an address you can send the model to in England if you do not want to ship it to the United States. I am also interested in purchasing any other CJB Models you offer for sale. Thank you, Louis Badolato Aug-15-13
A: Dear sir I am willing to accept your offer of £175 however I need to see if I am able to revise the auction to a buy it now option to make sure you are the successful buyer. I also have other models of CJB of which I'm willing to send you pictures to look at if you would like. Also an address in Britain is very helpful. So please confirm to me you would like me to change the auction to buy now and I shall do it and inform you when I've done it many thanks Jane

Dear Sir,

You obviously do not know Louis, Greedy is not part of his DNA. Louis's enthusiam and gentlemanship is unparalleled. I am sure that Louis's interest in purchasing a dupicated was to give it to a fellow collector. As far as contacting ebay sellers, that practice has been around since the begining of EBAY.

Hi Louis,
The end reason may be honorable, but the circumventing of a rule ei the E Bay rules is not correct! Even if some may think it is, but I having been brought up in a Militrary family and having studied at a boadring school in the " Old Country " had certain observances to compliance and rules chizzeled in very early in life.....Hence, when I accessed the link and initially saw the healthy bidding , and suddenly a termination on the bidding as it happened I was taken aback....My question was... why not wait until the end of the auction....
I would not want to furher indulge in this for as well as you were trying to help someone and as you said its is like cammles never hurts having more of them...obstrucuted someone to start his own CJB collection and or start one....
I am a firm believer of the E Bay system and its transparency, hence, always wanting to stick to its principles.....Why then not wait until August 22 and conclude the purchase!

Never mind that is past now, and I wish all of us in the forum, specifically those that like CJBs may have a fair run for a sets out there....^&grin...let us keep the collecting rolling and uncovering these nice trasures and bring them to light.....

On a separate note, good initative on listing the existing models out there so as to help all those collecting to know what they have and what the can scout for....

Cheers from down south .....
Luiz aca....
Artillery_Crazy

Hi Louis,
The end reason may be honorable, but the circumventing of a rule ei the E Bay rules is not correct! Even if some may think it is, but I having been brought up in a Militrary family and having studied at a boadring school in the " Old Country " had certain observances to compliance and rules chizzeled in very early in life.....Hence, when I accessed the link and initially saw the healthy bidding , and suddenly a termination on the bidding as it happened I was taken aback....My question was... why not wait until the end of the auction....
I would not want to furher indulge in this for as well as you were trying to help someone and as you said its is like cammles never hurts having more of them...obstrucuted someone to start his own CJB collection and or start one....
I am a firm believer of the E Bay system and its transparency, hence, always wanting to stick to its principles.....Why then not wait until August 22 and conclude the purchase!

Never mind that is past now, and I wish all of us in the forum, specifically those that like CJBs may have a fair run for a sets out there....^&grin...let us keep the collecting rolling and uncovering these nice trasures and bring them to light.....

On a separate note, good initative on listing the existing models out there so as to help all those collecting to know what they have and what the can scout for....

Cheers from down south .....
Luiz aca....
Artillery_Crazy

Luiz,

I did not believe I was circumventing ebay rules. At the time I asked the seller if she would like to change the auction to a buy it now, I was the only bidder. She accepted my offer, which was for substantially more than my pending bid, and indicated she would change the auction to a buy it now. It was only after she accepted my offer than another bidder entered the picture, then retracted his bid. Because of this second pending bid, she was unable to at that point change the auction, but as she had already accepted my offer, she cancelled the auction and invoiced me for the purchase. If she had changed the auction before the second bid was placed to a buy it now, she would have been within the rules, which was my intention.

She only ships to Great Britain, so I had to provide a friend's address in England for her to ship the model. Accordingly, I did not intend to break the rules, and, as I indicated, I purchased the model to pass along to a friend. I am not sure if my friend, who is a member of this forum, wants to be identified, but this is the text of the e-mail I sent him immediately after paying the invoice:

"I saw that you liked CJB Models when you bought the Morris CS8 Platoon Truck, so I got you a little gift: The CJB Morris Battery Staff Car. It was on ebay last night, and I arranged a buy it now with the seller. I will get it out to you as soon as it arrives.

Hope you enjoy it!"

Knowing my friend, he is likely to confirm this for you in a post as soon as he sees this. I too believe in acting honorably and playing by the rules.

Thks Louis,

Hope our co collector enjoys the set as much as you and I do! I would not part from mine for double what these sets have been trading at.....:)....so now...we will have another happy member of the club :cool:
As to the mechanics on how it happened, if over night on the 15/16/ of August and not on the 22 of August as the initial bidding final date was.... is now history.....the seller took the decission and that is it.

Great job!

Cheers
Luiz aca Artillery Crazy.....NB Crazy for the artillery arm since birth ......:D:cool:so said my Dad....:salute::

Having fallen in love with Interwar's magnificent crew for the Morris CS8 Office Truck, I tried to replicate the crew with some other CJB Models figures borrowed from other sets. It's obviously not as good, but it was the best I could do:

Attachments

• CJB Office Truck scene 1.JPG
    CJB Office Truck scene 1.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 264
  • CJB Office Truck scene 2.JPG
    CJB Office Truck scene 2.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 249
  • CJB Office Truck scene 3.JPG
    CJB Office Truck scene 3.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 265
Absolutely outstanding!^&cool^&cool I have that wonderful CS8 Office Truck, but I absolutely have to see if I can talk Mr. Burkill into selling me a set of those figures!:wink2:

Mr. Burkill is the best! He responded to my request, and sold me the two figure sets which go with the Office Truck for a very reasonable price.:wink2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back