Cleopatra (3 Viewers)

Hello matt n wk
Thanks for your inputs. Now travelling around Europe and am in London. Saw a cleopatra mummy at the British museum.
Got a lot of books and some figures.

Rgds victor

Finally had a chance to catch my breath. Of course I started work on this piece first chance I got.

Started painting it in oils. Kids under 50 years should shy away from this thread now.

P1130274.JPGP1130293.JPG

Great conversion, Vic!

Yes, the old Phoenix figures are fantastic! I'd say they were 56mm, like Staddens. They are a little robust compared to other 54mm figures, even if the height works out to match them. They have a distinctive style of sculpting, that helps finish the figures with great facial expression. Almost caricatures, though not quite. I love the Georgian range, but every range in that catalog was excellently executed, from the Atlantis series, to the Georgian and Napoleonic, to the Victorians. Not to mention the great sets of diorama pieces.

Is the leopard an Elastolin piece, by the way?

Prost!
Brad

Finally had a chance to catch my breath. Of course I started work on this piece first chance I got.

Started painting it in oils. Kids under 50 years should shy away from this thread now.

Quite an excellent figure !

As usual...you have done well.

Thank you.

Great conversion, Vic!

Yes, the old Phoenix figures are fantastic! I'd say they were 56mm, like Staddens. They are a little robust compared to other 54mm figures, even if the height works out to match them. They have a distinctive style of sculpting, that helps finish the figures with great facial expression. Almost caricatures, though not quite. I love the Georgian range, but every range in that catalog was excellently executed, from the Atlantis series, to the Georgian and Napoleonic, to the Victorians. Not to mention the great sets of diorama pieces.

Is the leopard an Elastolin piece, by the way?

Prost!
Brad

Hello Brad,
Yes, I do like the Phoenix figures.
The leopard is not Elastolin. It is a cheap HK toy in very hard plastic.

Rgds
Victor

Hi Matt,

thanks for your nice comment. I have changed part of the drapery behind.
I will also add a scented blob of incense on top of her head. This was depicted on many Egyptian wall paintings.

Rgds
Victor

Added a blob on her head. This photo shows the side profile that I had created for her face.

Attachments

• aa14.jpg
    aa14.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 150
I finished sculpting the drapery at the back. I also substituted the original Phoenix leopard and am repainting the marble flooring.

P1130436.JPGP1130443.JPGP1130456.JPG

Hello Bromhead,

Kids nowadays, they grow up too fast...:)

I finished the base, glossed it and added the leopard. Finished painting it and added Cleo. Almost done.

Cleo and Leo - you heard that here first time!

Rgds Victor

P1130479.JPG

Hello Bromhead,

Kids nowadays, they grow up too fast...:)

I finished the base, glossed it and added the leopard. Finished painting it and added Cleo. Almost done.

Cleo and Leo - you heard that here first time!

Rgds Victor

You should be very happy with what you have accomplished !

Beautiful figures...and...love the base.

Thank you.

Hi Matt,

Thx for you very nice comment. I have also completed Cleo. Finished for now.

Probably may add an allegorical asp underneath her stool one of these days?

Rgds Vic

P1130504.JPGP1130506.JPGP1130507.JPG

Hi Matt,

Thx for you very nice comment. I have also completed Cleo. Finished for now.

Probably may add an allegorical asp underneath her stool one of these days?

Rgds Vic

She ranks right up there with 'other' Queens you have done !

Very fun to 'watch' as you complete your artistic work.

Thank you.

Nice looking figure, and good job on the conversion. I guess it is a bit late to mention that the real Cleopatra descended from and reigned during the Hellenistic Greek era, lightened her hair with henna, and dressed more in the Greek fashion than classical Egyptian.:tongue:

Hello Matt and Mike,

thanks for your comments!

It is possible that Cleo (patra) dressed in the Greek fashion and had her hair dyed in henna. I based her crown solely on that double snake- crowned sculpture and the perfumed contrivance on the many wall paintings. Even her stool was based on an actual wooden artifact. The green robe is just cloth and that leopard is straight out of Frazetta! Ancient history all conjecture to me, unlike the Napoleonic wars...:)

Rgds Victor

Hi All,

I had set up my "dark studio" again to take some evocative shots. Here's Cleo looking provocative.

a1.jpga2.jpga3.jpg

I've added a brass label to this piece.

Around a year from 'bare metal' to Brass label...quite an accomplishment, with all you have on your plate.

Great tribute to a 'very' interesting Lady.

Thank you for sharing her progress with the Forum.

Hi Matt,

I get the brass labels done as a batch. So I have figures without labels for months on end. I have been very busy working on other big projects and am trying to even further increase my annual figure output....

Rgds Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back