College Football - 2016 (1 Viewer)

Combat

Brigadier General
All the summer arrests have now been made and those players that have avoided incarceration while maintaining D- grades in classes like ping pong and "PE" are ready to play some football! So on to my random picks for the typical week one cupcake and bizarre matchup games on "neutral" fields:

LSU 24 Wisconsin 20 - Wisconsin is not ranked so something must be askew in the frozen land. That's not a great sign playing against LSU. Should be ugly which keeps the score low.

Georgia 34 North Carolina 20 - NC seems to be a rising football program but a tough opening game. Somehow NC is considered the "home" team while playing in Georgia against Georgia. Only in the NCAA.

Alabama 49 USC 17 - I'm hoping to jinx the Tide with this pick and send the mighty Trojans on to victory. But with a new QB and coach playing against Bama in the opener is like being sent to defend the Alamo. Stranger things have happened though. SC has the skill players to make it interesting until Bama wears them out with their NFL sized line. Nick Satan and his evil sideshow Bob (aka Lame "victory cancer" Kiffin) will likely show no mercy and run the score up.

Clemson 34 Auburn 20 - Clemson = good. Auburn = not so much.

But with a new QB and coach playing against Bama in the opener is like being sent to defend the Alamo.

This busted me up......................outstanding.....................^&grin

After watching the SEC in action last night I say bring on the Tide. Should be an interesting game with inexperienced QBs on both sides.

Good starts for Navy and UMd , as the Middies rolled 52-16 over Fordham and the Terps beat Howard (BFD:rolleyes2:) 52-13. Not much in the way of true tests in these early games, but a win is a win. -- Al

Good starts for Navy and UMd , as the Middies rolled 52-16 over Fordham and the Terps beat Howard (BFD:rolleyes2:) 52-13. Not much in the way of true tests in these early games, but a win is a win. -- Al

As Oklahoma, LSU & UCLA learned today, maybe it is better to avoid the true tests until later in the season.

As Oklahoma, LSU & UCLA learned today, maybe it is better to avoid the true tests until later in the season.
Me thinks you can add USC to that list and there are still 25 minutes to play.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Ha!!!!!!!!!! didn't even know Howard had a football team ^&grin but as some of the 'better teams" toke some beatings today a win is a win as Al stated...Sammy

Me thinks you can add USC to that list and there are still 25 minutes to play.:rolleyes2: -- Al

The scary thing about Bama is that they are only going to get better once their freshman QB gets some more experience. They are loaded and just wear teams out. Pretty simple game when you have NFL caliber talent on the D and O line. It makes everyone else on the team look like a Capt. Kirk. Not a great week for the SEC though.

Was upset I was going to miss the OU game as I was at an outdoor concert all day yesterday, glad I missed the game based on the result.

Not even Labor Day yet and OU's season is already in the toilet; have to run the table now and hope to grab a spot in the championship series.

It's down to Alabama and Michigan to pull for now..........................

Was upset I was going to miss the OU game as I was at an outdoor concert all day yesterday, glad I missed the game based on the result.

Not even Labor Day yet and OU's season is already in the toilet; have to run the table now and hope to grab a spot in the championship series.

It's down to Alabama and Michigan to pull for now..........................

This system is what it is, but there is something wrong when a team loses its first came of the season (to a ranked opponent) and their already a long-shot to win it all.

The scary thing about Bama is that they are only going to get better once their freshman QB gets some more experience. They are loaded and just wear teams out. Pretty simple game when you have NFL caliber talent on the D and O line. It makes everyone else on the team look like a Capt. Kirk. Not a great week for the SEC though.

I think Herbie said it best last night when he agreed that other teams had the same star quality at the skill positions and possibly the defensive backfield. Where there is no contest is on the O and D lines and linebacker. No one can match them with the talent there. They have the best linebacking squad (although someone may have a better linebacker), the best offensive line (although a better lineman may exist somewhere) and the best defensive line (and rarely is there a better d-lineman anywhere.) That is what kills you. You can match up in places, but then get hammered where it counts. Stars don't matter while Bama chews up and spits out the rest of the team. The only exception was Cam Newton that I can think of.

Oh, and almost any team would probably love to have their #2 and #3 QB. The number 2 guy threw some of the most beautiful passes I have seen in college in a long time. I am not actually sure that position is completely decided.

This system is what it is, but there is something wrong when a team loses its first came of the season (to a ranked opponent) and their already a long-shot to win it all.

They talked about this last night, and I think it is way too soon to say this. In fact, many of the last few National Champions have started out with an early season loss. Yes, you have to run the table, but that is what it is all about.

They talked about this last night, and I think it is way too soon to say this. In fact, many of the last few National Champions have started out with an early season loss. Yes, you have to run the table, but that is what it is all about.

I just do not know of another sport where losing the first game of a season requires you to run the tables in order to win a championship.

Has there been a recent National Champion that has lost the first game of their season?

I just do not know of another sport where losing the first game of a season requires you to run the tables in order to win a championship.

Has there been a recent National Champion that has lost the first game of their season?

The only thing that will save the Sooners is there are four spots in the championship series, not two. That said, they cannot lose another game, 10-1 will be tough enough, 9-2 and they are toast.

Here is a good article that shows several recent National Champions who lost during the season:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...ball-when-national-champions-lost-if-they-did

Of course, that was written to Alabama fans last year, so you can add another to the list. Alabama has been a 1 loss National Champion 3 times recently.

The only thing that will save the Sooners is there are four spots in the championship series, not two. That said, they cannot lose another game, 10-1 will be tough enough, 9-2 and they are toast.

Probably, but didn't LSU do it with 2 back in 2007? Only one I can think of, so not odds I would want to play.

This Texas/ND game is unbelievable. ND was down 17, then Texas takes the lead 37-35, but the PAT was blocked and run back for a 2 point play.

37-37 going to OT......................incredible.

This Texas/ND game is unbelievable. ND was down 17, then Texas takes the lead 37-35, but the PAT was blocked and run back for a 2 point play.

37-37 going to OT......................incredible.

UT wins in 50-47 in double OT. I still can't believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back