College Football - 2016 (2 Viewers)

UT wins in 50-47 in double OT. I still can't believe it.

That was a great game. 100K rocking the stadium and both teams going back and forth. That is why I prefer college to pro football. I'm no fan of ND but they showed a ton of heart in that game coming from behind.

FSU losing early to Ole Miss 21-6, just had a sure TD come off the board when their RB was waltzing into the end zone and he dropped the ball, luckily for him it went out of bounds on the three.

They couldn't punch it in and had to settle for 3.

Wow.

Jimbo's halftime speech will be one for the ages "Ya'll have to take you'rin and beat they'rin or else we be screwed".................these top 10 teams should schedule tomato cans for the first few games to get the momentum going, just ask OU, ND, LSU and now FSU..........................

FSU losing early to Ole Miss 21-6, just had a sure TD come off the board when their RB was waltzing into the end zone and he dropped the ball, luckily for him it went out of bounds on the three.

They couldn't punch it in and had to settle for 3.

Wow.

Jimbo's halftime speech will be one for the ages "Ya'll have to take you'rin and beat they'rin or else we be screwed".................these top 10 teams should schedule tomato cans for the first few games to get the momentum going, just ask OU, ND, LSU and now FSU..........................

It must have been a good one!!!!!! FSU storming back, win or lose, at least will not be embarrassed, hopefully can hold on and win this one, would be huge for freshman QB.

Tom

It must have been a good one!!!!!! FSU storming back, win or lose, at least will not be embarrassed, hopefully can hold on and win this one, would be huge for freshman QB.

Tom

YIPPEE! What a game, they dug in and won it. Great plays, lots of miscues, but a fun football game, instant Classic! Down 22 at one point and won by 11. GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!

TD

YIPPEE! What a game, they dug in and won it. Great plays, lots of miscues, but a fun football game, instant Classic! Down 22 at one point and won by 11. GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!

TD

That was a great game to end a great weekend of football. Stanford wins, UT wins and tons of great games in-between.

The pattern this week seemed to be highly ranked teams getting off to shaky starts with young, inexperienced QBs. Some of them like FSU and Bama managed to sort themselves out and get big wins. Others like ND did not (even though they followed the same pattern coming back in the second half). The "cupcakes" in college football are also becoming dangerous. App St. came within a hair of knocking off a top ten Tennessee team. There is a lot parity in college football and only a few schools like Bama have the talent and depth to seperate themselves from the pack. Anyone else can win on any given week.

Someone on another board pointed out how big some of these guys are on certain teams. I was looking at that QB from Texas who was running over the ND defenders like bowling pins. I do sort of have to wonder if these are not examples like MLB guys who had hit 10 HRs in prior years suddenly hitting 50-60. It doesn't seem natural for some guys to be that dominate. The running back for Bama last year looked like Hercules' bigger brother. A bit suspect but this is college football after all. Good to see dumb and dumber reunited again at Bama with Sark joining the staff. I had to read that scroll all weekend long about Sark suing USC for "discrimination" because they fired him for showing up to coach while drunk. What a world. Glad he is Bama's problem now. Sark and Kiff have been reviled at every place they ever coached. They might be the only hope of Bama not repeating this year.

That was a great game to end a great weekend of football. Stanford wins, UT wins and tons of great games in-between.

It was a wild weekend for an opener, way too much drama~!! I like it better when they scheduled the cream puffs!
Tom

It was a wild weekend for an opener, way too much drama~!! I like it better when they scheduled the cream puffs!
Tom

Some of the schools that scheduled tough openers really did not need to. Alabama, Clemson, LSU, and FSU really do not need to worry about strength of schedule issues came playoff rankings time. So unless they were doing it for contractual reasons I can't really understand it.

A lousy slate of cupcake games this weekend. Hardly any worth picking.

Iowa 27 Iowa St. 17 - State always gives them a good game.

Tennessee 31 VA Tech 28 - the Vols barely survived against App St. last weekend. Playing in front of something like 150K at some racetrack. Weird. They will probably show Hee Haw repeats during the breaks.

Oregon 50 UVA 38 - Team Nike is good enough to beat wine and cheese U.

Bama 87 Western Kentucky 3 - in honor of cupcake week going out on a limb here. Even Sark and Kiff couldn't snatch defeat here with all their bubble screens.

Favorite story this week is that the NCAA apparently has suspended 30 players at Charleston Southern for using "book" money to also buy pencils and paper. I guess that is the only thing you can't get away with in college football. And the kicker is that they play Florida St. this week where no player has ever violated a rule involving the purchase of books.

Favorite story this week is that the NCAA apparently has suspended 30 players at Charleston Southern for using "book" money to also buy pencils and paper. I guess that is the only thing you can't get away with in college football. And the kicker is that they play Florida St. this week where no player has ever violated a rule involving the purchase of books.

Doug,
I don't agree with this insanity, but I will give you first hand from the 1990s when I was on an athletic scholarship from Maryland and how they controlled and kept to this rule. (which is what I am sure the larger Universities do). We took our schedule to a separate room that was set up in the bookstore. An employee would review the schedule and confirm which books/resources/supplies were needed for the class and then they would physically go to the shelves and retrieve the books. NO money was ever exchanged, it was all handled in house and you had to physically sign the voucher in person to complete the transaction. It was a brilliant system because it never put any money in the hands of the student and therefore reduced any potential violation. While I think the rule is stupid, I also blame the Charleston Southern administration. On another note, regarding meals, they did the same thing as breakfast and dinner was regulated to a separate hall and lunch was only $5 a day on a card that could be used between the hours of 11 and 3 and only at university owned sites. They were simple systems that took away any potential abuse.

Tom

Terps stomped another minor adversary on Friday night, beating FIU 41-14. They are now 2-0 against weak opposition. UCF is next up. The schedule gets a bit more serious in October when they play Purdue, then Penn St. They also have Mich St., Michigan, OSU, and Nebraska on the schedule. I'm guessing they won't go undefeated.:rolleyes2:
Navy is also 2-0 after a nail-biting win over Rice. Navy had a 21-0 lead and then had to muster a last-second goal line defensive stand to hold onto the victory, 28-24. Rice mismaneged the clock and ran out of time with the ball on the Navy half-yard line. In what was a brain-fart moment, Rice ran up the gut with 13 seconds left and no time outs left. By the time the pile untangled, the clock had run out. Sigh of relief. --Al

Craziest play of the week was in the OK St game where they are ahead but get called for grounding on 4th down on the last play of the game. The refs mistakenly give possession to the other team believing the penalty allows for one untimed down. And of course they throw a game winning hail mary on a play they shouldn't have been allowed to run. I'm not much for changing the outcome of games that are over but when the ref makes an obvious mistake that no one can argue about under the rules that leads to one extra play that changes the outcome of the game, it seems like the result could be corrected. The NCAA - albeit often stupidly - does go back and take away past wins like the hand of God when they deem a team has violated some rule like using a player later deemed ineligible. But they aren't going to do that here when it would seeemingly be more justified.

We go from cupcake weekend to a huge slate of big games. So many great ones his weekend I might never venture outside:

Louisville 38 FSU 35 - hard to pick against the Noles. But this one has upset possibilities.

Bama 40 Ole Miss 17 - Bama always plays up to the competition and Ole Miss does the opposite.

Notre Dame 34 Mich. St. 31 - this always seems to be a close and crazy game usually decided by the refs giving ND a phantom call at the most opportune moment.

Ohio St. 30 Oklahoma 24 - a tough nut to go into Norman and beat an OK team that has already lost one. Could go either way.

Stanford 38 USC 17 - I keep hoping my Trojans show up for a big game and they keep disappointing. Stanford should dominate the line and time of possession wearing out the SC D and running away with the game in the second half. But I also wouldn't be surprised if SC stays close.

We go from cupcake weekend to a huge slate of big games. So many great ones his weekend I might never venture outside:

Louisville 38 FSU 35 - hard to pick against the Noles. But this one has upset possibilities.

Bama 40 Ole Miss 17 - Bama always plays up to the competition and Ole Miss does the opposite.

Notre Dame 34 Mich. St. 31 - this always seems to be a close and crazy game usually decided by the refs giving ND a phantom call at the most opportune moment.

Ohio St. 30 Oklahoma 24 - a tough nut to go into Norman and beat an OK team that has already lost one. Could go either way.

Stanford 38 USC 17 - I keep hoping my Trojans show up for a big game and they keep disappointing. Stanford should dominate the line and time of possession wearing out the SC D and running away with the game in the second half. But I also wouldn't be surprised if SC stays close.

Worry for FSU is Derwyn James All American CB sidelined for 7 plus weeks MCL. I hate to say it, but if they don't figure out pass defense, Louisville wins this one unless they can outscore them.
Tom

Ok, this made me laugh.

Not sure what I enjoy more around here, your weekly college football picks or Michaels "What color is the sky in your world" babbling about the MFY's.......:rolleyes2:........it's a toss up..................:wink2:

Ok, this made me laugh.

Not sure what I enjoy more around here, your weekly college football picks or Michaels "What color is the sky in your world" babbling about the MFY's.......:rolleyes2:........it's a toss up..................:wink2:

I've seen that play out too many times in South Bend. Late in a close game if ND throws a long incompletion, out comes the PI flag. Next play is the game winning TD. If the opposing team completes a big pass, out comes the holding flag that brings it back. Game over.

Jackson is putting on a show against the Noles. He is a freakish talent. He should be the Heisman front runner is this keeps up.

Jackson is putting on a show against the Noles. He is a freakish talent. He should be the Heisman front runner is this keeps up.

Wow, they hung 63 on the Noles.................poor bubba, he's gonna be upset............................that post game speech will be one for the ages...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back