College Football - 2016 (5 Viewers)

I think this will be one of the best weekends on the schedule with 6 of the top 10 teams playing each other.

NC wins on a last second field goal from five miles out..............what a game, unbelievable. NC left about 42 points on the field, drops, fumbles, missed PAT's, but they marched down the field with 23 seconds left and won it..................Michigan wins in a snooze festival..........

Tough college football weekend for me. Stanford got crushed (and that is putting it mildly) and Texas lost to Oklahoma State for the first time in Stillwater since 1997.

Ouch.

50/50 weekend for me. UMD wins big over Baylor to go 4-0, but Navy was sunk by Air Force to take it's first loss. I guess Billy Mitchell knew what he was talking about.:wink2: -- Al

50/50 weekend for me. UMD wins big over Baylor to go 4-0, but Navy was sunk by Air Force to take it's first loss. I guess Billy Mitchell knew what he was talking about.:wink2: -- Al

I always wondered why Air Force was not a bigger rival for Army and Navy.

I always wondered why Air Force was not a bigger rival for Army and Navy.
Jason, the only real reason I can think of is the length of the traditional rivalry of Army/Navy, which started in 1890 and currently has 116 games played. Air Force didn't even begin playing Army and Navy on a regular yearly basis until 1972, when the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy was instituted. Air Force actually has the most C-in-C Trophies with 19, while Navy has 15 and Army has 6. There are 4 shared Trophies. Navy record against Army is 60-49-7 while they are 20-29 against Air Force. Air Force is 35-14-1 against Army. Simply a length of time thing. -- Al

Jason, the only real reason I can think of is the length of the traditional rivalry of Army/Navy, which started in 1890 and currently has 116 games played. Air Force didn't even begin playing Army and Navy on a regular yearly basis until 1972, when the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy was instituted. Air Force actually has the most C-in-C Trophies with 19, while Navy has 15 and Army has 6. There are 4 shared Trophies. Navy record against Army is 60-49-7 while they are 20-29 against Air Force. Air Force is 35-14-1 against Army. Simply a length of time thing. -- Al

Thanks for the explanation, time is usually a key ingredient in a rivalry.

I also noticed in doing some quick reading that both Army(3) and Navy (2*) have had Heisman winners while Air Force has not had any.

*It should have been 3 (Keenan Reynolds).

Thanks for the explanation, time is usually a key ingredient in a rivalry.

I also noticed in doing some quick reading that both Army(3) and Navy (2*) have had Heisman winners while Air Force has not had any.

*It should have been 3 (Keenan Reynolds).
Agree about Reynolds. He had a spectacular career and had the stats to have been in the Heisman running at least twice, 2013 and 2015. I believe he holds the college record for TD's scored in a career. -- Al

Fresh off my Nostradamus-like picks from last week completed with a TN hail mary win, it's onward. Some middling top twenty games this weekend.

North Carolina 30 VA Tech 17 - either NC looks pretty good or the teams they have played are overrated. Either way VA Tech hasn't impressed.

Tennessee 27 Texas A&M 17 - TN is maddening to watch. They keep winning but have played with fire. They seem to have the luck going and will need it on the road.

Alabama 30 Arkansas 24 - big upset possibility here. But I can't pick against Nick Satan with all his talent. They will eventually lose a game but picking against them is not smart.

Florida St. 30 Miami 20 - if they play this game (maybe it has already been canceled due to the hurricane?) I like the Noles to take out some frustration on UM. I didn't even know they still played college ball in Miami much less that they are ranked #10.

Fresh off my Nostradamus-like picks from last week completed with a TN hail mary win, it's onward. Some middling top twenty games this weekend.

North Carolina 30 VA Tech 17 - either NC looks pretty good or the teams they have played are overrated. Either way VA Tech hasn't impressed.

Tennessee 27 Texas A&M 17 - TN is maddening to watch. They keep winning but have played with fire. They seem to have the luck going and will need it on the road.

Alabama 30 Arkansas 24 - big upset possibility here. But I can't pick against Nick Satan with all his talent. They will eventually lose a game but picking against them is not smart.

Florida St. 30 Miami 20 - if they play this game (maybe it has already been canceled due to the hurricane?) I like the Noles to take out some frustration on UM. I didn't even know they still played college ball in Miami much less that they are ranked #10.

Combat,
I appreciate the good Nole thoughts, but I believe they are or can't figure out who the blank they are on D. An old friend Mark Richt has Miami firing on all cylinders, this is going to be a tough year for the Noles and Miami has the horses to make it worse.

TD

I'm batting .500 on the weekend as UMd was massacreed by Penn St., but the Middies at the USNA pulled off their biggest upset win in 32 years by beating #6 Houston 46-40. Both Navy and the Terps are now 4-1 on the year. Houston had been the #1 rush defense in the nation, giving up 48 yards a game but Navy ran them over with 306 yards on the ground. It was a good game to watch. -- Al

I'm batting .500 on the weekend as UMd was massacreed by Penn St., but the Middies at the USNA pulled off their biggest upset win in 32 years by beating #6 Houston 46-40. Both Navy and the Terps are now 4-1 on the year. Houston had been the #1 rush defense in the nation, giving up 48 yards a game but Navy ran them over with 306 yards on the ground. It was a good game to watch. -- Al

Al:

Congrats, that win over Houston is huge as the Cougars were legitimately one of the best teams in the nation.

It also has huge implications across the college football playoff landscape. If everyone wins out the playoffs will now essentially set up as, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan/Ohio State (depending on who wins their game against each other) and Washington.

-Jason

Combat,
I appreciate the good Nole thoughts, but I believe they are or can't figure out who the blank they are on D. An old friend Mark Richt has Miami firing on all cylinders, this is going to be a tough year for the Noles and Miami has the horses to make it worse.

TD

Well, go figure, Noles win a nail biter thanks to blocking an extra point to keep it out of overtime. Great game!

TD

Well, go figure, Noles win a nail biter thanks to blocking an extra point to keep it out of overtime. Great game!

TD

Deondre Francois might be the toughest QB I have ever seen, he got crushed time and time again only to rise up and talk more shots.

TD

When I heard that commentator say the Miami kicker had made 72 PATs in a row I said uh oh. That is a sure jinx. Good game.

Deondre Francois might be the toughest QB I have ever seen, he got crushed time and time again only to rise up and talk more shots.

The Arkansas quarterback was pretty tough as well. Bama beat him up hard and kept on striking back.

A couple of decent games this weekend. Wisconsin and Tennessee are killing me with their inconsistency and they are both in the mix this week.

Stanford 30 ND 24 - both teams are down and out. Only a hurricane or Stanford's 1920s offense can hold an opponent under 500 yards and 40 points against the horrible Irish D. Brian Kelly's head might explode like the guy on "Scanners" if that continues. He might extend his run by sacrificing his D coordinator but the end is near.

Tennessee 40 Bama 38 - Lame Kiffin will be lucky to escape with his life from Knoxville where he is the most hated person since Sherman. Bama is due for a loss. TN is coming off a tough loss. At home they have a shot.

Ohio St. 27 Wisconsin 17 - Myers may be the best coach in all college football.

Arkansas 34 Ole Miss 24 - Ole Miss goes up 24-0 and then chokes away the game.

Not much on the slate for this weekend.

Alabama 37 Texas A&M 13 - I've learned my lesson picking against Nick Satan and Lame Kiffin. Just too much talent. At home they should be unbeatable.

UCLA 27 Utah 24 -the gutty little Bruins pull the upset even without a QB.

Louisville 38 NC State 28 - upset possibility. NC St should never try another FG with their kicker though. He missed three of four last week including a chip shot game winner at the end.

Arkansas 31 Auburn 30 - Arkansas looks good even after a Bama beatdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back