College Football - 2016 (6 Viewers)

On the other hand, my UMd Terps didn't quite as well against Michigan.:rolleyes2: I'll settle for a 1-1 weekend. {sm3} -- Al
Terps took a real battering today, losing 59-3 to #3 Michigan. Now I'm watching #6 OSU massacre #10 Nebraska by an equally terrible score of 55-3 after only 3 quarters. Now just how does the #10 team in the nation get embarrassed like this? UMd isn't very good and I can understand losing big to the #3 team, but just how can a team that is #10 get creamed by a #6 like this? They should be of roughly equal ability, according to the rankings. The REALLY unfortunate thing is that UMd still has to play both OSU (next week) and Nebraska (the week after). I doubt either of those games are going to make the UMd highlight reels, just like the Michigan game today. Maryland shouldn't pick on the big boys because what good is attacking a B-52 with a Spad. Can't catch 'em, can't hurt 'em, can't even slow them down. Suicide. -- Al

Terps took a real battering today, losing 59-3 to #3 Michigan. Now I'm watching #6 OSU massacre #10 Nebraska by an equally terrible score of 55-3 after only 3 quarters. Now just how does the #10 team in the nation get embarrassed like this? UMd isn't very good and I can understand losing big to the #3 team, but just how can a team that is #10 get creamed by a #6 like this? They should be of roughly equal ability, according to the rankings. The REALLY unfortunate thing is that UMd still has to play both OSU (next week) and Nebraska (the week after). I doubt either of those games are going to make the UMd highlight reels, just like the Michigan game today. Maryland shouldn't pick on the big boys because what good is attacking a B-52 with a Spad. Can't catch 'em, can't hurt 'em, can't even slow them down. Suicide. -- Al

Al:

The simple way of looking at it is that Nebraska is overrated. For whatever reason the playoff committee wants certain schools highly ranked, especially those programs that used to be dominant. Outside of Wisonsin, Nebraska is a team that has beaten Wyoming, Illonois and Indiana. They only beat Indiana by 5 points, which would be great if this was basketball!

Nebraska is simply not that good and they do not deserve to be ranked that high. Heck, I long for the Tom Osborne days as much as the next college football fan but he is long gone and so are the dominant days of Nebraska football.

If the committee could find a way to put Norte Dame and Miami in the playoffs they would. But Lou Holtz is gone and so is Jimmy Johnson. Nebraska is too, fans realize that but the NCAA does not.

-Jason

Jason, you hit the nail on the head. Most teams have to prove to the nation that they are worthy of respect. Some traditional 'powers' (like Nebraska and Notre Dame) have to prove that they are NOT good. They always get the benefit of the doubt.

A good example...this year's Notre Dame squad started the year ranked #10 and they are a dumpster fire.

Teams like Wisconsin have been good for quite a while, but don't get the love.

Navy did indeed come away with a nice win, but their defense is really leaky. If ND had opted to go for the 1st down instead of taking the FG (making the score 28-27, Navy), they wouldn't have given the ball back to Navy and that time-killing offense of theirs. Navy took the ball after the FG and ran off the last 8 minutes of the game, this after their previous TD drive of 9 minutes. Navy's best defense is keeping the ball out of the opponents hands. Navy has a hard time preventing other teams from scoring, yielding 26 PPG. But a win is a win and the Middies are now 6-2. -- Al
Middies won another big game today, in another shootout, with a 42-40 win over Tulsa. Once again, Navy's opponent made the fatal error of giving the ball back to Navy late in the 4th quarter. Tulsa scored to draw close at 42-40 with 6-7 minutes left. They kicked to Navy instead of attempting an on-sides kick and Navy just ran the clock out again with that grinding running game of theirs. Navy's defense remains a detriment. They can't stop anyone, so Navy's ball-control game is a survival neccesity. Navy is now 7-2. -- Al

Middies won another big game today, in another shootout, with a 42-40 win over Tulsa. Once again, Navy's opponent made the fatal error of giving the ball back to Navy late in the 4th quarter. Tulsa scored to draw close at 42-40 with 6-7 minutes left. They kicked to Navy instead of attempting an on-sides kick and Navy just ran the clock out again with that grinding running game of theirs. Navy's defense remains a detriment. They can't stop anyone, so Navy's ball-control game is a survival neccesity. Navy is now 7-2. -- Al

That game was a heartbreaker for my Golden Hurricane, I really thought they were going to pull it out. Tulsa and Navy have the same problem, no defense.

The Mighty Terps held OSU to only 17 points in the 2nd half, so they only lost 62-3. Sure looks like that decision to move from the ACC to the Big 10 is paying off big time. Lost 59-3 last week; lost 62-3 this week; Nebraska is up next week. Maybe the Terps can hold them under 50, but I'm not betting anything on it.:rolleyes2: -- Al

What a great game Ptt vs Clemson, 42-40, then Dumbo goes for it on 4th and 1 and they don't get it, so Pitt marches down the field and their kicker, who missed a PAT and had another FG attempt blocked, drilled the game winning FG with 6 seconds left.

Adios Clemson, they won a lot of games they had no business winning.

Imagine a kicker named Blewitt.

What a great game Ptt vs Clemson, 42-40, then Dumbo goes for it on 4th and 1 and they don't get it, so Pitt marches down the field and their kicker, who missed a PAT and had another FG attempt blocked, drilled the game winning FG with 6 seconds left.

Adios Clemson, they won a lot of games they had no business winning.

Imagine a kicker named Blewitt.

The only name that would be worse is Mistit.

The Mighty Terps held OSU to only 17 points in the 2nd half, so they only lost 62-3. Sure looks like that decision to move from the ACC to the Big 10 is paying off big time. Lost 59-3 last week; lost 62-3 this week; Nebraska is up next week. Maybe the Terps can hold them under 50, but I'm not betting anything on it.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Terp final score was 62-3. Don't know why anyone would watch them. I certainly don't. {sm4} Chris

What a night!! Clemson goes down. Michigan left their offense in Ann Arbor. USC pretends to actually have a football program in beating Washington. #2, #3, & #4 all lose in unexpected ways.

But all is right with the world...Northwestern beat Purdue. Let's hear it for a .500 club :) :)

Thank God for the playoff system as this thing is a mess right now; Alabama is in, Michigan or Ohio State will get in depending on who beats who, but what about Penn State, they only have one loss in the conference as well. Could a two loss team sneak in somehow as Oklahoma has ripped off 7 wins in a row?

The new coach for USC has them heading in the right direction, that is for sure, they played a great game last night............Michigan stunk out the join, losing again to Iowa with a last second field goal just like they did 31 years ago.................Iowa, they got demolished last week, unreal...............

Tough weekend for the Top 10 as 5 of them lose. As others have said in earlier posts, unreal. Things are getting really interesting. The only real given seems to be the unrelenting Tide out of Alabama. -- Al

Wild weekend. I don't care a whole lot about who makes the final four. Bama is head and shoulders above the rest right now. That doesn't mean they can't lose but they have to be a heavy favorite against anyone. Ohio St. is right there with the best coach in college footba. Playing well and having big Mo is what counts. Some teams back into the playoffs (Clemson was on the that path. Michigan with their soft home schedule was another) but others surge at the end. It's the surging teams that are dangerous. A team like Penn St. is coming on strong. SC has too many early losses to make the playoffs but no one wants to play them now that they have a QB, coach, and with all their talent.

Local team, U of L proven to be pretenders in last night shellacking by Houston. They were grousing all week they were not in the top 4 of the playoff projections. Now they can just shut up.Chris

Another split for the local teams this weekend. Terps lost to Nebraska, predictably, by the score of 28-7. At least they didn't allow 50+ points again. They are now 5-6 on the season and must beat Rutgers to break even and be bowl eligible, (even though 6-6 is hardly impressive). Navy ran up 66 points on East Carolina, winning 66-31 (there's that iffy defense again). Navy ran up 480 yards on the ground, 593 total and set a team record with 9 rushing TD's. They are now 8-2 with SMU next and then Army. Go Navy! --Al

Kentucky has Austin Peay well in hand 42-13 after 3 qtrs. ^&grin. AP is 1-54 over the last 55 games. Really. This will make UKing bowl eligible. :rolleyes2: It's great to be a Wildcat fan. ^&cool Chris

Texas loses to 1-9 Kansas, first time since 1938. Goodbye Charlie Strong. Chris

Some biggies tomorrow:

Ohio St. 40 Michigan 17 - I expect Myers to bring the hammer down on Harblow and show no mercy. Harblow may rip his own head off and eat it before this one is over.

USC 47 ND 24 - closer than expected until halftime and then SC wears out the horrible Irish D and sends Brian "Sgt. Carter" Kelly off to another job. "Leprechaun in the Hood" looks good in comparison to this nightmare season for the Irish.

Alabama 38 Auburn 20 - Bama keeps rolling but a dangerous game.

Utah 27 Colorado 24 - the Utes pull an upset and send USC to the PAC championship game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back