College Football - 2016 (2 Viewers)

Another split for the local teams this weekend. Terps lost to Nebraska, predictably, by the score of 28-7. At least they didn't allow 50+ points again. They are now 5-6 on the season and must beat Rutgers to break even and be bowl eligible, (even though 6-6 is hardly impressive). Navy ran up 66 points on East Carolina, winning 66-31 (there's that iffy defense again). Navy ran up 480 yards on the ground, 593 total and set a team record with 9 rushing TD's. They are now 8-2 with SMU next and then Army. Go Navy! --Al
A good weekend for my local teams. Terps beat Rutgers to become bowl eligible in a rather workmanlike game, uninspired but adequate. Navy was something else, though. They beat SMU 75-31 after leading only 28-24 at the half. They scored Td's on every possession but their final one when they took a knee 3 straight downs to end the game. They rushed for 496 yards, with 600 total yards. They had runs of 55, 55, 50, 44, 43, 39, and 29 yards while averaging 10.3 yards per carry, from 13 different runners. It was quite an impressive show. SMU just got smoked and they were no pushover as a win would have made them bowl eligible. Navy now 9-2 with Army and their conference championship game left. Been a great season for them and all they have to do to top it off is beat Army on Dec. 10. Go Navy, beat Army! -- Al

Kentucky has Austin Peay well in hand 42-13 after 3 qtrs. ^&grin. AP is 1-54 over the last 55 games. Really. This will make UKing bowl eligible. :rolleyes2: It's great to be a Wildcat fan. ^&cool Chris

UK beats Uof L 41-38 to go a respectable, for them, 7 - 5. U ofL was favored by 27. Lamar Jackson struck a Heisman pose after scoring, maybe a bit premature after back to back loses. Chris

This playoff scenario is getting messier and messier. Alabama is #1, Ohio State is #2, Clemson is #3, Washington is #4.

What happens if Ohio State and Washington lose in the conference championship games; for sure then two teams with 2 losses will get in, but what two?

Such a great idea to have a playoff; hoping Ohio State and Washington win to make it a certainty.

At that point, Bama all the way, not a fan of tOSU, Clemson or Washington.........................

Ohio St./Michigan was a brutal old-school slug fest. I haven't seen a game like that since 1970. SC crushed ND. Good to see Kelly chewing out that thug who kicked an injured player in the head and stomped another player on the ankle. That guy should be suspended or kicked out.

After Northwestern started the season 1-3, I was pleased to see us pull it together and finish at 6-6. Even with a lousy bowl game you get to practice for a few extra weeks, which will help for 2017!

Penn State plays Wisconsin in the Big 10 Conference Championship not Ohio State. Although I feel Ohio State will still get into the playoff picture with only 1 loss and their body of work they had this season.

Penn State plays Wisconsin in the Big 10 Conference Championship not Ohio State. Although I feel Ohio State will still get into the playoff picture with only 1 loss and their body of work they had this season.

Yeah right, I forgot Penn State already beat them; so they go to the playoffs even though they didn't make the conference championship game.

What a great system............................if Penn State beats Wisconsin, they should go, not tOSU.

Yeah right, I forgot Penn State already beat them; so they go to the playoffs even though they didn't make the conference championship game.

What a great system............................if Penn State beats Wisconsin, they should go, not tOSU.

Yes, it is quite screwed up. I think we just saw a playoff game, I have a feeling the Ohio St. Michigan game will go down as a better game than what we will see in the coming month. These 2 teams are pretty good and I bet its a split if they played 10 times and each would win at home. I would have liked to see Michigan pull it out, getting tired of Urban and his smart allecky comments already and now going to have to put up with them for a month.

Just my opinion
TD

Teams like Washington and Penn St. are probably better off not making the playoff and instead get a decent bowl game matchup that they can win. If they played Alabama they would lose by 50 points. Ohio St. is probably the only team that can play with Bama. Bama's D is NFL caliber. One loss by Ohio St. on the road against a fired up Penn St. team shouldn't keep them out.

Teams like Washington and Penn St. are probably better off not making the playoff and instead get a decent bowl game matchup that they can win. If they played Alabama they would lose by 50 points. Ohio St. is probably the only team that can play with Bama. Bama's D is NFL caliber. One loss by Ohio St. on the road against a fired up Penn St. team shouldn't keep them out.
That's it in a nutshell. Bama is head and shoulders above everyone else. They might lose a game if the opponent plays perfectly and the football gods are smiling on them, but I wouldn't bet against Bama this season. -- Al

Agree on Alabama and Ohio St. I think you can put Michigan in there too, they really only had the one head scratcher at Iowa, but Iowa is proving to be better than expected.

So for argument sakes, if you have Bama, Ohio St and Michigan, who would be the fourth in a perfect world? I am not sure I have a fourth based on the other teams, I guess it is Clemson assuming they don't blow the ACC championship game. That said, Michigan is out with 2 losses and I believe we will see assuming no losses in Conf Games - Bama, Ohio St, Washington and Clemson?

Tom

Agree on Alabama and Ohio St. I think you can put Michigan in there too, they really only had the one head scratcher at Iowa, but Iowa is proving to be better than expected.

So for argument sakes, if you have Bama, Ohio St and Michigan, who would be the fourth in a perfect world? I am not sure I have a fourth based on the other teams, I guess it is Clemson assuming they don't blow the ACC championship game. That said, Michigan is out with 2 losses and I believe we will see assuming no losses in Conf Games - Bama, Ohio St, Washington and Clemson?

Tom

Assuming they win out in the various conference championship games it will be Bama, Clemson, Washington, and Ohio St. The winner of Wisconsin and Penn St might have an outside chance to jump Washington or Ohio St but I doubt it.

Somewhat under the radar but the NCAA apparently vacated two seasons worth of wins for ND including their 12-0 season a couple years ago for some self-reported minor rule violation. If they had not participated in screwing USC over with the bogus Reggie Bush sanctions I would have some sympathy for them. But the chickens have come home to roost as MalcolmX said. So raise that asterisk high next to twenty plus Irish wins.

Tom

You got it Tom; three teams I could care less about, then Alabama. I'm thinking Alabama/tOSU in the championship game, unless they somehow screw it up and they meet in the semi finals................

You got it Tom; three teams I could care less about, then Alabama. I'm thinking Alabama/tOSU in the championship game, unless they somehow screw it up and they meet in the semi finals................

I think everyone knows that the committee and the NCAA want a scenario that will draw the biggest television audiences, with the set-up being Alabama vs. Ohio State in the final game as that will draw the best TV ratings. The NCAA would also take a 'Bama vs. Clemson rematch of last year's game so they will probably set it up so that Clemson plays OSU in the semi finals, thus one of those two will move on to play Alabama in the championship game.

Navy took a beating from Temple today in the AAC Championship game, 34-10. More importantly though were the loss of Navy's starting Qb and running back to injury. No word on whether they will be ready for the annual Army/Navy game in a week. Bummer. -- Al

So now the NCAA committee gets to decide who the four playoff teams are; three are a slam dunk, although I've never seen a less impressive 1 loss team than Clemson this year, it's a miracle they only have 1.

Dollars to donuts it's tOSU, even though PSU beat them head to head; tOSU didn't even get to the conference championship game and if I am not mistaken, when the committee was formed to decide what 4 teams go, conference champion was high on their list.

But, we all know at the end of the day with the NCAA, it's all about money, so tOSU will go, PSU will stay home.

Regardless, Alabama is the favorite to demolish whatever two teams they end up playing.

ROLL TIDE.......................

This ersatz controversy over Penn St. just plays into the NCAA's hands. The next step will be an eight team playoff. That is inevitable within the next five years. Then a wild card game to determine the eighth team etc. Follow the TV money to as many playoff games as possible until it reaches absurd lengths like the NCAA basketball tourny or any professional sport.

The best thing that came out of the committee's playoff picks is that USC will play Penn State in the Rose Bowl. Both schools are playing great and I think it will be one worth watching that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back